Switching Prints in Frame: Flex Points

Information on shipping, storing and repairing your art, plus your reviews on products for art collecting, making, storing, etc..
Nemesis01
Art Expert

Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:02 pm

So any getting a quote from a local toronto area framer I asked if there was a way to frame which would allow me to switch prints in and out at my leisure and I was told they could offer me this by using "flex points". They did not recommend this option however because apparently it can lead to dust getting into the frame much easier. Just wondering if any of you have heard of this method and your opinion on it? Thanks guys
alittle
Art Freak

Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:43 pm

How often do you change prints? I just bring my fudge in the the framer when I want something swapped.
CHR1S
Art Expert

Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:06 pm

Flex Points are just flexible points from a point driver. Kind of like flat nails that can bend. I think they're suggesting that you then bend the points back, remove the backing, mat and art and replace it with your new art. It's not really that practical if they cut the backing and mats the appropriate size it's a tight squeeze to pull it all out while still leaving the (bent) points in. Google "Framing Point Gun" and you'll understand better what they are proposing.

If you're using a deeper frame a better alternative (though more expensive) might be to use a strainer to hold the art, mat and backing in the frame. Strainers screw into the frame. So when you're ready to switch the art out you simple unscrew the strainer. It fits more flush into the back and thus helps eliminate dust creeping into the frame.
KSUvet
Art Expert

Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:33 am

Those points will also break if you bend them back and forth too many times.
"I see dudes using cotton gloves on prints that I know were printed while someone was drinking a beer or eating Cheetos, while water leaked from the ceiling. And I'm not even talking about my shop!" - alexfugazi
CHR1S
Art Expert

Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:24 am

KSUvet wrote:Those points will also break if you bend them back and forth too many times.
They make two different types of points. Rigid points and flexible points. The flexible points are obviously the ones meant to use if you plan on bending. And if you do plan on switching prints in and out a lot it might be worth investing in your own point gun.