Shipping prints Glassine vs Tissue Paper

Information on shipping, storing and repairing your art, plus your reviews on products for art collecting, making, storing, etc..
PLUSH
Art Expert

Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:22 pm

Went through my roll of glassine and was looking to buy more.

http://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S-1 ... aper-Rolls

When shipping prints do you prefer using glassine or tissue paper?

http://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S-1 ... -24-Sheets

I am wondering if the glassine is overkill as most things you get from galleries,artist use tissue paper as it is way cheaper.

What say you?
mistersmith
Art Freak

Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:58 pm

There's regular, Christmas-present tissue paper, and then there's nicer, "rag" I guess, tissue paper. Don't get mass produced stuff, and don't get colored/printed stuff that might stain/rub off on the prints.

What I tend to do is take the print I'm selling out of its plastic bag, lay it on kraft, lay down the bag, then roll. That way the print is protected and the buyer gets a free bag for storage.
electrachrome, mostly kidding wrote:mr smith, EB's poet laureate.
Take this man at his word:
misterx wrote:Don't enter into discourse with me.
Celsius
Flipper

Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:08 pm

Never ever use glassine. In higher temperatures glassine will stick onto the print. Tissue paper all the way.
"Beautiful white wings for you. For the world? Death and destruction." - Spoiler Character (Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean)

https://plushart.club
haven
Art Expert

Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:39 pm

Celsius wrote:Never ever use glassine. In higher temperatures glassine will stick onto the print. Tissue paper all the way.
How high a temperature? I've used glassine and I also have it between several of my prints. Can say as I've ever noticed any problems.
CrustaR
Art Expert

Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:22 pm

Celsius wrote:Never ever use glassine. In higher temperatures glassine will stick onto the print. Tissue paper all the way.
I have never had that happen. I don't use tissue paper because it can still scuff a print.
pewter14 wrote:You're not the only one on the hunt for The Thing ... just ... the most obvious ... by a lot.
ChefFerrari
Art Expert

Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:32 pm

mistersmith wrote:There's regular, Christmas-present tissue paper, and then there's nicer, "rag" I guess, tissue paper. Don't get mass produced stuff, and don't get colored/printed stuff that might stain/rub off on the prints.

What I tend to do is take the print I'm selling out of its plastic bag, lay it on kraft, lay down the bag, then roll. That way the print is protected and the buyer gets a free bag for storage.
I like the bags, they work great for kitty litter
rockbridge
Art Expert

Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:38 pm

In my experience, buying glassine in bulk is competive with tissue and way easier to work with (about 60 cents per 24x36 sheet from dickblick). I have been interleaving and shipping prints with it for years and have never had a heat related issue.
PLUSH
Art Expert

Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:40 pm

rockbridge wrote:In my experience, buying glassine in bulk is competive with tissue and way easier to work with (about 60 cents per 24x36 sheet from dickblick). I have been interleaving and shipping prints with it for years and have never had a heat related issue.

Thanks. For 500 sheets, it would be $310. Uline has 500 sheets for $142. Looks like I'll be going that route.
alittle
Art Freak

Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:07 pm

I use tissue, but I've been meaning to hop on the glassline train. I just don't do enough selling to justify a bulk purchase.
disdig1
Art Expert

Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:08 pm

glassine is where its at, so much easier to work with.
summoner
Art Freak

Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:09 pm

disdig1 wrote:glassine is where its at, so much easier to work with.
Feels great on the peen too
Image Image Image
sixstringer
Art Expert

Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:16 pm

Depending on the dimensions of the print and tube you want to be careful of how you roll with glassine. For example if you are shipping in a 4" or wider tube the print can slide around if it's rolled loosely with glassine. I've only had this happen once but it was enough to damage the edge of the print. Best thing is to always roll smaller than the tube and tape it securely.