ISO 24x36 Acid Free Portfolios

Information on shipping, storing and repairing your art, plus your reviews on products for art collecting, making, storing, etc..

Postby OrangeBug on Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:24 pm

Gigantico wrote:I bought some of these, they work nicely:

http://www.dickblick.com/zz169/65/


how many do you get in a pack. if its one then that will get real expensive. $17 per?
User avatar
OrangeBug
Art Connoisseur
 
Status: Active
Posts: 441
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2003 2:00 am

Postby sonny on Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:26 pm

OrangeBug wrote:
sonny wrote:Neither place responded back... :x sorry man...i would like to know too....


i am going to order 1. i will let yal know the quality when i get it.


sweet! i will be interested in hearing what you think...
User avatar
sonny
Art Connoisseur
 
Status: Active
Posts: 749
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2005 1:00 am
Location: i come from the land of the ice and snow...

Postby Gigantico on Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:29 pm

OrangeBug wrote:
Gigantico wrote:I bought some of these, they work nicely:

http://www.dickblick.com/zz169/65/


how many do you get in a pack. if its one then that will get real expensive. $17 per?


I think there is 6. I have them tucked away at the moment.
Gigantico
Art Connoisseur
 
Status: Active
Posts: 771
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:00 am

Postby OrangeBug on Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:33 pm

sonny wrote:
OrangeBug wrote:
sonny wrote:Neither place responded back... :x sorry man...i would like to know too....


i am going to order 1. i will let yal know the quality when i get it.


sweet! i will be interested in hearing what you think...


Turns out there is a local store here in denver. I called them and they are a little cheeper than the website. They confirmed that these are archival quality.

Sooo. a 24x36 portfolio (comes w/5 page) add 7 sets of inserts (5 per pack) for a total of 80 views = $360.

Seems pricey. Might re-think the flat file option.
User avatar
OrangeBug
Art Connoisseur
 
Status: Active
Posts: 441
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2003 2:00 am

Postby sonny on Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:42 pm

OrangeBug wrote:
sonny wrote:
OrangeBug wrote:
sonny wrote:Neither place responded back... :x sorry man...i would like to know too....


i am going to order 1. i will let yal know the quality when i get it.


sweet! i will be interested in hearing what you think...


Turns out there is a local store here in denver. I called them and they are a little cheeper than the website. They confirmed that these are archival quality.

Sooo. a 24x36 portfolio (comes w/5 page) add 7 sets of inserts (5 per pack) for a total of 80 views = $360.

Seems pricey. Might re-think the flat file option.


thanks for the info...i appreciate it...i still might bite on one of these considering i own less than 15 posters.... thanks again.
User avatar
sonny
Art Connoisseur
 
Status: Active
Posts: 749
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2005 1:00 am
Location: i come from the land of the ice and snow...

Postby hainshead on Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:01 pm

OrangeBug wrote:
cubbiephan wrote:this is the one i got a few months back. i talked to the guys at jerry's and they said it was all acid-free. i've been nothing but happy with it, but are you sayin the pages are vinyl...and is vinyl not acid free?

http://www.jerrysartarama.com/art-suppl ... nline/5986


Anyone else have opinions on this presentation portfolio? THinking about getting one or two.


After a lot of looking I finally pulled the plug on one of these. It's big, it's expensive, but my posters are finally in a safer place. I waffled between this or a clamshell box, backer boards and sleeves but when all is said and done this seemed like a better solution. It's easier to flip through to look at the prints than the box would have been and no need for backer boards. The sleeves are made by Picturesque and both sleeve and paper are acid free. Some photos below of the new folio at work. It can fit a Horkey which was key.
Attachments
IMG_5304.JPG
IMG_5304.JPG (104.74 KiB) Viewed 1378 times
User avatar
hainshead
Art Connoisseur
 
Status: Active
Posts: 460
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2004 1:00 am
Location: Boston

Postby sonny on Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:41 pm

hainshead wrote:
OrangeBug wrote:
cubbiephan wrote:this is the one i got a few months back. i talked to the guys at jerry's and they said it was all acid-free. i've been nothing but happy with it, but are you sayin the pages are vinyl...and is vinyl not acid free?

http://www.jerrysartarama.com/art-suppl ... nline/5986


Anyone else have opinions on this presentation portfolio? THinking about getting one or two.


After a lot of looking I finally pulled the plug on one of these. It's big, it's expensive, but my posters are finally in a safer place. I waffled between this or a clamshell box, backer boards and sleeves but when all is said and done this seemed like a better solution. It's easier to flip through to look at the prints than the box would have been and no need for backer boards. The sleeves are made by Picturesque and both sleeve and paper are acid free. Some photos below of the new folio at work. It can fit a Horkey which was key.


Thank you so much for your review! you helped my make my mind up and I will definetly be getting one of these. Thanks again!
User avatar
sonny
Art Connoisseur
 
Status: Active
Posts: 749
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2005 1:00 am
Location: i come from the land of the ice and snow...

Postby sethalan1 on Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:52 pm

hainshead wrote:
OrangeBug wrote:
cubbiephan wrote:this is the one i got a few months back. i talked to the guys at jerry's and they said it was all acid-free. i've been nothing but happy with it, but are you sayin the pages are vinyl...and is vinyl not acid free?

http://www.jerrysartarama.com/art-suppl ... nline/5986


Anyone else have opinions on this presentation portfolio? THinking about getting one or two.


After a lot of looking I finally pulled the plug on one of these. It's big, it's expensive, but my posters are finally in a safer place. I waffled between this or a clamshell box, backer boards and sleeves but when all is said and done this seemed like a better solution. It's easier to flip through to look at the prints than the box would have been and no need for backer boards. The sleeves are made by Picturesque and both sleeve and paper are acid free. Some photos below of the new folio at work. It can fit a Horkey which was key.




my only question--any damage to the edges loading the print without a backing boad? thanks.
User avatar
sethalan1
Art Connoisseur
 
Status: Active
Posts: 411
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:39 pm
Location: NY Sluburbs

Postby stsmytherie on Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:30 pm

sonny wrote:
hainshead wrote:
OrangeBug wrote:
cubbiephan wrote:this is the one i got a few months back. i talked to the guys at jerry's and they said it was all acid-free. i've been nothing but happy with it, but are you sayin the pages are vinyl...and is vinyl not acid free?

http://www.jerrysartarama.com/art-suppl ... nline/5986


Anyone else have opinions on this presentation portfolio? THinking about getting one or two.


After a lot of looking I finally pulled the plug on one of these. It's big, it's expensive, but my posters are finally in a safer place. I waffled between this or a clamshell box, backer boards and sleeves but when all is said and done this seemed like a better solution. It's easier to flip through to look at the prints than the box would have been and no need for backer boards. The sleeves are made by Picturesque and both sleeve and paper are acid free. Some photos below of the new folio at work. It can fit a Horkey which was key.


Thank you so much for your review! you helped my make my mind up and I will definetly be getting one of these. Thanks again!


Agreed. I'm glad someone tested the waters and reported back. Thanks. Definitely will add this to my to do list. I'd rather have flat files, but just not enough space for it.
User avatar
stsmytherie
Art Connoisseur
 
Status: Active
Posts: 228
Joined: Sun Jan 28, 2007 1:00 am
Location: NYC

Postby hainshead on Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:46 pm

sethalan1 wrote:my only question--any damage to the edges loading the print without a backing boad? thanks.


None at all. It was pretty easy actually. There is room to put a thin backer board in the sleeve if you want to though. The sleeves are pretty durable but backers would certainly take all your worries away.
User avatar
hainshead
Art Connoisseur
 
Status: Active
Posts: 460
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2004 1:00 am
Location: Boston

Postby ColonelCash on Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:17 pm

That 'folio looks fantastic!
User avatar
ColonelCash
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 3748
Joined: Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:00 am

Postby Codeblue on Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:19 pm

How do you keep the prints from moving around in the sleeves? Are you using any corners or do they sit still on their own?
User avatar
Codeblue
Art God
 
Status: Active
Posts: 49941
Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2004 1:00 am
Location: Expresso Beans
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.

Postby hainshead on Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:23 pm

Codeblue wrote:How do you keep the prints from moving around in the sleeves? Are you using any corners or do they sit still on their own?


The wonders of static electricity! That and the fact that I store it flat. If this were on it's side mounting strips would solve the problem. Corner's might too but with pieces this size I am not so sure.
User avatar
hainshead
Art Connoisseur
 
Status: Active
Posts: 460
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2004 1:00 am
Location: Boston

Postby hillsj2001 on Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:57 am

i bought one of the picturesque portfolios a few months back after cubbiephan and jahills showed me theirs...still can't fit a few of my prints in them (hurricane horkey is one of them thats too large) but really impressed...just wish it would come with more sheets...even the sale price of $40 for 5 of them seems a little but much for me
User avatar
hillsj2001
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 1590
Joined: Tue Dec 28, 2004 1:00 am

Postby OrangeBug on Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:10 am

After much debate about either getting a flat file, portfolio or make something i decided to go with the portfolio. My rational was that if there was a fire or something I could get the lot out easy, and you can flip through them easier without touching.

Soooo I went down to the local artorama and picked up a portfolio. Much better quality than i thought it would be. And just to clarify, the sleeves ARE acid free in and out. The artorama didn't have and refills so i will be looking if anyone knows where to get then cheaper than $36 for 5.
User avatar
OrangeBug
Art Connoisseur
 
Status: Active
Posts: 441
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2003 2:00 am

PreviousNext

Return to Art Care



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest