ISO 24x36 Acid Free Portfolios

Information on shipping, storing and repairing your art, plus your reviews on products for art collecting, making, storing, etc..
mistersmith
Art Freak

Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:16 am

Itoya portfolios on sale at Pearl's Art Supply, Market between 5 and 6, in San Francisco. Picked up an 18x24 last night for $26 after tax.
ill
Art Expert

Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:27 am

In other news... does anyone make 50x70cm portfolios (about 20x28)? (i.e. the size of most Malleus prints). I'd love to have something like this to store some of them in.
ColonelCash
Art Expert

Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:21 pm

My 6 showed up yesterday (Happy Birthday to me) and I really under estimated the size of these things, they are quite large....and kinda heavy when you are hauling around 6 of them. I think my total was $123.50 shipped via UPS. Comes out to $20.50 for each profolio shipped directly from Itoya. Can't beat it!

Thanks Yamar for the heads up about PenWa.
mistersmith
Art Freak

Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:18 pm

Looks like you can set up a 40-page (80 views) 24x36 with this case and a few "refill packs." Gonna be pricey, though.

http://www.aswexpress.com/discount-art- ... supplies/4
sonny
Art Connoisseur

Wed Dec 26, 2007 11:47 am

mistersmith wrote:Looks like you can set up a 40-page (80 views) 24x36 with this case and a few "refill packs." Gonna be pricey, though.

http://www.aswexpress.com/discount-art- ... supplies/4
http://www.jerrysartarama.com/art-suppl ... nline/5986

this looks indentical...same pictures, prices...same store???? if this is all acid-free (including the pages), I will buy this one, but it's really not clear, as stated by wandering-gypsy's post at the end of the 1st page of this thread...
mistersmith
Art Freak

Wed Dec 26, 2007 2:36 pm

sonny wrote:if this is all acid-free (including the pages), I will buy this one
From the page:

"Inside the case are 10 or 5 polypropylene pages that are sealed on three sides. They feature a deep black acid-free insert... "

So yeah, everything touching the print is acid-free.
sonny
Art Connoisseur

Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:49 pm

mistersmith wrote:
From the page:

"Inside the case are 10 or 5 polypropylene pages that are sealed on three sides. They feature a deep black acid-free insert... "

"The description says that the paper is acid free and that the sleeves are polypropylene.
Polypropylene can be archival quality if specifically made that way. But, the description doesn't specifically state that the sleeves are archival.
If the sleeves smell like plastic - they're most likely not archival quality.
If the sleeves are colored/tinted in any way - they most likely aren't archival. "
OrangeBug
Art Connoisseur

Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:35 pm

cubbiephan wrote:this is the one i got a few months back. i talked to the guys at jerry's and they said it was all acid-free. i've been nothing but happy with it, but are you sayin the pages are vinyl...and is vinyl not acid free?

http://www.jerrysartarama.com/art-suppl ... nline/5986
Anyone else have opinions on this presentation portfolio? THinking about getting one or two.
sonny
Art Connoisseur

Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:55 pm

sonny wrote:
mistersmith wrote:
From the page:

"The description says that the paper is acid free and that the sleeves are polypropylene.
Polypropylene can be archival quality if specifically made that way. But, the description doesn't specifically state that the sleeves are archival.
If the sleeves are colored/tinted in any way - they most likely aren't archival. "
i emailed Jerry's Artarama and ASW Express on 12/30 to see if they could tell me if this was 100% acid free...no reply yet.... :roll:
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:14 pm

Their customer service SUCKS in my one dealing with them.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
OrangeBug
Art Connoisseur

Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:40 am

sonny wrote:
sonny wrote:
mistersmith wrote:
From the page:

i emailed Jerry's Artarama and ASW Express on 12/30 to see if they could tell me if this was 100% acid free...no reply yet.... :roll:
Any word on the quality of these yet? I am in need and think I'm going to pull the trigger here pretty soon.
sonny
Art Connoisseur

Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:49 am

OrangeBug wrote:
sonny wrote:
sonny wrote:
mistersmith wrote: From the page:

Any word on the quality of these yet? I am in need and think I'm going to pull the trigger here pretty soon.
Neither place responded back... :x sorry man...i would like to know too....
OrangeBug
Art Connoisseur

Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:07 pm

sonny wrote: Neither place responded back... :x sorry man...i would like to know too....
i am going to order 1. i will let yal know the quality when i get it.
Gigantico
Art Connoisseur

Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:32 pm

I bought some of these, they work nicely:

http://www.dickblick.com/zz169/65/
mistersmith
Art Freak

Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:19 pm

Gigantico wrote:I bought some of these, they work nicely:

http://www.dickblick.com/zz169/65/
Those look perfect - Mylar is too hard/firm, and expensive, but these seem just right.

Ghetto archival flatfile - drag a bigass flatscreen box in from the street (or the dumpster at an electronics store), cut the box on three seams so the huge part is effectively hinged, stick all your prints in these sleeves, and stack sleeves in the box. Stick it under your bed. The end.

Plus, now I can slip prints in these and binder-clip the mylar, not the print. Awesome. Gonna have to get some.