ISO 24x36 Acid Free Portfolios

Information on shipping, storing and repairing your art, plus your reviews on products for art collecting, making, storing, etc..
OrangeBug
Art Connoisseur

Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:24 pm

Gigantico wrote:I bought some of these, they work nicely:

http://www.dickblick.com/zz169/65/
how many do you get in a pack. if its one then that will get real expensive. $17 per?
sonny
Art Connoisseur

Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:26 pm

OrangeBug wrote:
sonny wrote: Neither place responded back... :x sorry man...i would like to know too....
i am going to order 1. i will let yal know the quality when i get it.
sweet! i will be interested in hearing what you think...
Gigantico
Art Connoisseur

Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:29 pm

OrangeBug wrote:
Gigantico wrote:I bought some of these, they work nicely:

http://www.dickblick.com/zz169/65/
how many do you get in a pack. if its one then that will get real expensive. $17 per?
I think there is 6. I have them tucked away at the moment.
OrangeBug
Art Connoisseur

Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:33 pm

sonny wrote:
OrangeBug wrote:
sonny wrote: Neither place responded back... :x sorry man...i would like to know too....
Turns out there is a local store here in denver. I called them and they are a little cheeper than the website. They confirmed that these are archival quality.

Sooo. a 24x36 portfolio (comes w/5 page) add 7 sets of inserts (5 per pack) for a total of 80 views = $360.

Seems pricey. Might re-think the flat file option.
sonny
Art Connoisseur

Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:42 pm

OrangeBug wrote:
sonny wrote:
OrangeBug wrote:
Turns out there is a local store here in denver. I called them and they are a little cheeper than the website. They confirmed that these are archival quality.

Sooo. a 24x36 portfolio (comes w/5 page) add 7 sets of inserts (5 per pack) for a total of 80 views = $360.

Seems pricey. Might re-think the flat file option.
thanks for the info...i appreciate it...i still might bite on one of these considering i own less than 15 posters.... thanks again.
hainshead
Art Connoisseur

Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:01 pm

OrangeBug wrote:
cubbiephan wrote:this is the one i got a few months back. i talked to the guys at jerry's and they said it was all acid-free. i've been nothing but happy with it, but are you sayin the pages are vinyl...and is vinyl not acid free?

http://www.jerrysartarama.com/art-suppl ... nline/5986
Anyone else have opinions on this presentation portfolio? THinking about getting one or two.
After a lot of looking I finally pulled the plug on one of these. It's big, it's expensive, but my posters are finally in a safer place. I waffled between this or a clamshell box, backer boards and sleeves but when all is said and done this seemed like a better solution. It's easier to flip through to look at the prints than the box would have been and no need for backer boards. The sleeves are made by Picturesque and both sleeve and paper are acid free. Some photos below of the new folio at work. It can fit a Horkey which was key.
sonny
Art Connoisseur

Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:41 pm

hainshead wrote:
OrangeBug wrote:
cubbiephan wrote:this is the one i got a few months back. i talked to the guys at jerry's and they said it was all acid-free. i've been nothing but happy with it, but are you sayin the pages are vinyl...and is vinyl not acid free?

Anyone else have opinions on this presentation portfolio? THinking about getting one or two.
After a lot of looking I finally pulled the plug on one of these. It's big, it's expensive, but my posters are finally in a safer place. I waffled between this or a clamshell box, backer boards and sleeves but when all is said and done this seemed like a better solution. It's easier to flip through to look at the prints than the box would have been and no need for backer boards. The sleeves are made by Picturesque and both sleeve and paper are acid free. Some photos below of the new folio at work. It can fit a Horkey which was key.
Thank you so much for your review! you helped my make my mind up and I will definetly be getting one of these. Thanks again!
sethalan1
Art Connoisseur

Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:52 pm

hainshead wrote:
OrangeBug wrote:

my only question--any damage to the edges loading the print without a backing boad? thanks.
stsmytherie
Art Connoisseur

Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:30 pm

sonny wrote:
hainshead wrote:
OrangeBug wrote:

Thank you so much for your review! you helped my make my mind up and I will definetly be getting one of these. Thanks again!
Agreed. I'm glad someone tested the waters and reported back. Thanks. Definitely will add this to my to do list. I'd rather have flat files, but just not enough space for it.
hainshead
Art Connoisseur

Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:46 pm

sethalan1 wrote:my only question--any damage to the edges loading the print without a backing boad? thanks.
None at all. It was pretty easy actually. There is room to put a thin backer board in the sleeve if you want to though. The sleeves are pretty durable but backers would certainly take all your worries away.
ColonelCash
Art Expert

Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:17 pm

That 'folio looks fantastic!
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:19 pm

How do you keep the prints from moving around in the sleeves? Are you using any corners or do they sit still on their own?
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
hainshead
Art Connoisseur

Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:23 pm

Codeblue wrote:How do you keep the prints from moving around in the sleeves? Are you using any corners or do they sit still on their own?
The wonders of static electricity! That and the fact that I store it flat. If this were on it's side mounting strips would solve the problem. Corner's might too but with pieces this size I am not so sure.
hillsj2001
Art Expert

Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:57 am

i bought one of the picturesque portfolios a few months back after cubbiephan and jahills showed me theirs...still can't fit a few of my prints in them (hurricane horkey is one of them thats too large) but really impressed...just wish it would come with more sheets...even the sale price of $40 for 5 of them seems a little but much for me
OrangeBug
Art Connoisseur

Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:10 am

After much debate about either getting a flat file, portfolio or make something i decided to go with the portfolio. My rational was that if there was a fire or something I could get the lot out easy, and you can flip through them easier without touching.

Soooo I went down to the local artorama and picked up a portfolio. Much better quality than i thought it would be. And just to clarify, the sleeves ARE acid free in and out. The artorama didn't have and refills so i will be looking if anyone knows where to get then cheaper than $36 for 5.