ISO 24x36 Acid Free Portfolios

Information on shipping, storing and repairing your art, plus your reviews on products for art collecting, making, storing, etc..
demetrios
Art Expert

Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:15 pm

ISO one for some time. The best luck I had was a company in the UK, but they sold out and don't carry them anymore. I love the ITOYA's 18x24. I've emailed them if one would come out in 24x36. They are talking about doing one.

Jerry's Art in Jersey has one but the sleeves are vinyl. Need to find something that's acid free. I have my posters in the 24x36 new's paper box with acid free paper dividing the posters. But I also have many posters still in tubes. Those big thick tubes from amesbros.com .

Any help would be great.
Thanks. :)
vorphilack
Art Connoisseur

Sat Nov 10, 2007 1:27 pm

I'm in the same boat here....

Hell, I would love to love to get an "A1" size presentation portfolio here in the states. That would work for most of my larger stuff.

^^^^ Do they carry that size in Canada? They have them in the UK but shipping costs are insane. If Canada has them, its really easy to drive over to pick up a few one weekend. I can see Canada (Ontario) from here if I stand on my roof...
kj1nyr
Art Expert

Sat Nov 10, 2007 6:13 pm

Same situation here. i spoke to an Itoya rep at a collectibles convention in July and they had no advice of where to find a 24X36. no one at the convention had them.

I did pick up 2 18X24s for $30 (BOGOF) at the show. It's great to be able to look at my unframed posters without fear of damaging them.

Peace,
KJ
phishtaper
Art Connoisseur

Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:16 pm

i'd love it if itoya made a 24 x 36. LOVE it.

currys' art supplies in canada has a bunch of portfolia, they might have something big ... but their website is down.
ColonelCash
Art Expert

Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:27 pm

How are those Itoya portfolios anyhow? I'm looking to get a couple of the 18x24 versions for my ever expanding Hatch Print collection. Best I've found is about $33/each
bostonlou
Art Connoisseur

Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:32 pm

i'd love to snag one to look at the prints like you k

2 would be even better

where did you see the $33 price? how is shipping?

i remember my acid free bully box was a beast to ship

maybe i'll hit my local art store

anyone have a boston/metro west recommendation?
Yamar
EB Team Emeritus

Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:55 pm

I can track it down again if need be, but I believe that if you need a LOT of 18x24 portfolio space, you can order direct from penwa.com:
http://www.penwa.com/itoya/evolution.htm

and pick up a 6 pack of Itoya portfolios for $130 (with free shipping). My set took about 2 weeks to arrive and was drop-shipped straight from Itoya too but at $21-22 shipped per folio, ya can't beat it.
Tra la la la la...
cubbiephan
Art Connoisseur

Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:18 pm

this is the one i got a few months back. i talked to the guys at jerry's and they said it was all acid-free. i've been nothing but happy with it, but are you sayin the pages are vinyl...and is vinyl not acid free?

http://www.jerrysartarama.com/art-suppl ... nline/5986
scarabs
Art Enthusiast

Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:10 pm

i too have been looking into these for storage/viewing.

according to jerrysartorama.com the sheets in the portfolio that cubbiephan has are made of polypropylene just like the itoyas.

is it the black outer case that is vinyl? it doesn't say.
ColonelCash
Art Expert

Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:33 am

Yamar wrote:I can track it down again if need be, but I believe that if you need a LOT of 18x24 portfolio space, you can order direct from penwa.com:
http://www.penwa.com/itoya/evolution.htm

and pick up a 6 pack of Itoya portfolios for $130 (with free shipping). My set took about 2 weeks to arrive and was drop-shipped straight from Itoya too but at $21-22 shipped per folio, ya can't beat it.
Thanks Yamar, that is a much better price than I was looking at. You can get these in sets of 3 for around $95 shipped off eBay, but the box of 6 is a far better price. I've just added this to my XMAS/Birthday list :)

Also, do you have to secure each print with framers corners in these folios?
ColonelCash
Art Expert

Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:38 am

bostonlou wrote:i'd love to snag one to look at the prints like you k

2 would be even better

where did you see the $33 price? how is shipping?

i remember my acid free bully box was a beast to ship

maybe i'll hit my local art store

anyone have a boston/metro west recommendation?
I'm seeing 3 shipped from eBay at $82+ shipping, breaks down to $33 or so. Although, the box of 6 is a much better cost per unit. Getting 500-600 prints a year, I could fill up 6 very quickly.
palehighway

Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:51 am

edit
Last edited by palehighway on Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yamar
EB Team Emeritus

Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:42 am

No problem. I may have to make another order myself as I'm anticipating at least 3 or 4 folios of prints worth to be showing up shortly complements of the SBPW and Mafia subs...
Tra la la la la...
kramer73
Art Expert

Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:49 am

dickblick has these:

http://www.dickblick.com/zz150/40/

Prat Start 1 Portfolio
SAVE 32% off List!
Description Photos

Prat's Start 1 Portfolios are attractive enough for professionals, and attractively priced for students. They have a black archival/acid-free embossed polypropylene cover, with a smooth black inside.

They also feature two full inner pockets, elastic holding straps with plastic buckle, solid molded plastic drop handles and support footings, and a smooth running double-action nylon zipper.

Note — Sizes given for portfolios, presentation cases, binders, and refill pages are the maximum size of the artwork that can be accommodated, not the outside dimensions.

the 24 x 36 with 1" gusset is $32.38, the 3" is $47.04

of course you'd still have to have them in bags and boards, so I suppose the cost would be higher.
wandering-gypsy
Art Connoisseur

Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:39 pm

cubbiephan wrote:this is the one i got a few months back. i talked to the guys at jerry's and they said it was all acid-free. i've been nothing but happy with it, but are you sayin the pages are vinyl...and is vinyl not acid free?

http://www.jerrysartarama.com/art-suppl ... nline/5986
It ain't exactly clear .....
The description says that the paper is acid free and that the sleeves are polypropylene.
Polypropylene can be archival quality if specifically made that way. But, the description doesn't specifically state that the sleeves are archival.
If the sleeves smell like plastic - they're most likely not archival quality.
If the sleeves are colored/tinted in any way - they most likely aren't archival.
You can always ask them. Why don't you? Better to find out now instead of 20 years down the road with damage from acid.

It usually, but not always, takes decades for non-archival material to ruin a poster, especially when the poster stock itself is archival. If the poster stock is high-acid (non-archival) paper, than degradation can occur a lot faster.
But, nothing is certain ... I've seen pristine posters, 40 years old, stored in non-archival conditions the whole time. Then again, I've seen posters ruined by acid from the same time period. Ask a paper conservationist, I"m sure they can explain it all ....

To answer your other question - there are "plastics" in the vinyl "family" that are rough on paper. PVC for instance - which some manufacturers use for sleeves.

And, to throw a wrench into the works .... I've had 100% archival quality sleeves completely fook up signatures on posters - especially the gold and silver ones. I've never quite pinned down which "inks" and pens are at risks but I now keep the posters with these kinds of sigs in archival glassine.