Question on print conservation when framing

Information on shipping, storing and repairing your art, plus your reviews on products for art collecting, making, storing, etc..
del1r1ous
Art Enthusiast

Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:01 pm

I'm just getting into this hobby and only recently procured my first couple of prints that I would like to frame. I already have frames for both, but started reading about archival framing and am now concerned about discoloration, etc.

Therefore, I have several questions I hope you can help me with. The prints that I am framing range in value from $250 to $400, so I'm not planning on going overboard on conservation material.

Currently, both frames have styrene plexiglass. After doing a little research, it appears that I can upgrade to acrylic fairly cheap. Is this upgrade worth it? Is acrylic better for UV resistance? Is there something better for not much more cost?
Currently, both frames have standard cardboard backing. I plan on eventually replacing both with white acid-free foamcore. However, in the meantime, I saw a pack of acid-free tissue paper that I could get for cheap. Would a good short-term solution be to line the cardboard with a layer or two of this tissue paper? I was going to use the double-side acid-free scrapbooking tape to mount it to the cardboard.
Also, if above would work, I was going to line the back of my standard (probably not acid-free) mat that I already had cut for one of the frames. Will the tissue paper protect against the acid in the board, or is it too thin?

Some other general questions I had were:

If my prints are hanging in a room out of direct sunlight, how long would it take to notice any UV discoloration?
If my prints were framed against regular cardboard for the time being, just how long would it take for the acid to begin to discolor the print?

Thanks in advance your help, and sorry for my newbie questions.
ErocAfellar
Art Expert

Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:07 pm

if you can afford a $400 print, you can afford to get it framed properly
HappaHaoli wrote:That is freaking Eroctic!
alittle
Art Freak

Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:09 pm

Just wait until you can afford to frame it properly.
amb6883
Art Connoisseur

Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:10 pm

What's your budget?
del1r1ous
Art Enthusiast

Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:33 pm

amb6883 wrote:What's your budget?
I would like to stay under $150 to frame both. If needed, I could wait awhile and spend more, but we are taking my daughter to Disney World in two weeks and my wife's budgeting our expendable income towards that.

I'm more interested in doing it myself, which is why I'd like to understand what proper framing is, and the why behind it. I'd also like to know the science behind it, I guess. If cardboard is acidic, how long does it take to have an adverse effect? And does the effect vary for different paper stocks? How so? It's easy to ask how to properly frame something, but I am the kind who needs to understand why I'm doing it that way. If it takes 10 years for cardboard to discolor a print, then I'm not going to stress out about getting it properly framed by this weekend.
amb6883
Art Connoisseur

Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:13 am

What prints are they? The paper and ink used to make the print can make a huge difference.
Cragars
Art Expert

Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:38 am

Acid free foamcore costs maybe 10 buck for a 40x30 inch piece. A pack of acid free tissue paper is 5-7 bucks.

Just spring for the UV plexi dude. It's not expensive and without it you can see some discoloration in certain papers even when not exposed to direct sunlight. If the room is lit with non-LED bulbs or with natural light, there are UV rays hitting your art.

Cheap out on the frame and limit the number of mats to one or just use spacers. Don't cheap out on things that actually touch the art.
del1r1ous
Art Enthusiast

Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:23 am

amb6883 wrote:What prints are they? The paper and ink used to make the print can make a huge difference.
Both Nirvana screen prints, one by Lee Bolton and the other by Frank Kozik. I guess they would fall under medium stock paper.
del1r1ous
Art Enthusiast

Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:25 am

Cragars wrote:Acid free foamcore costs maybe 10 buck for a 40x30 inch piece. A pack of acid free tissue paper is 5-7 bucks.

Just spring for the UV plexi dude. It's not expensive and without it you can see some discoloration in certain papers even when not exposed to direct sunlight. If the room is lit with non-LED bulbs or with natural light, there are UV rays hitting your art.

Cheap out on the frame and limit the number of mats to one or just use spacers. Don't cheap out on things that actually touch the art.
Thanks for the advice. When you provide prices, is this at your average hobby store, like Michaels, or a particular online site? What is the best place to get everything I need at good prices?
alittle
Art Freak

Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:40 am

You should sell me the Kozik, so you can pay to frame the Bolton.
Cragars
Art Expert

Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:41 pm

del1r1ous wrote:
Thanks for the advice. When you provide prices, is this at your average hobby store, like Michaels, or a particular online site? What is the best place to get everything I need at good prices?
Yes, Michaels and Hobby Lobby. http://www.framedestination.com has a lot of what you'd need.
fdi1001
Art Connoisseur

Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:23 am

Cragars wrote:Yes, Michaels and Hobby Lobby. http://www.framedestination.com has a lot of what you'd need.
Thanks for the mention Cragars!

Get your art away from the cardboard right now. Cardboard is full of acid and other harmful components. Acid free and Artcare foamboard is cheap and easy to put in the frame. In regards to light, all light is bad not just UV radiation. So yes, upgrade to UV glass or acrylic. One of them has a little more than the other naturally, but when you get UV filter glass or acrylic it will typically take it to 98 or 99%. What is more important is which you prefer. If it is large then acrylic might be better if you want to have it shipped to you, however you can get UV glass locally at places like Michaels although they mark it up a lot. Keeping it away from direct sunlight is more important than the UV filter. An image with regular glass or acrylic in a room with no direct sunlight may outlast an image behind 99% uv filter placed in a room with direct sunlight.
Frame Destination, Inc.
Picture Framing Blog
Facebook
LinkedIn
jmagee87
Art Expert

Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:30 am

http://www.americanframe.com/ is really great as well. I just framed up an oversize print from there. 18.25"x39" frame, acid-free backing, uv plexi, spacers, shipping was all under $130
Kramerica wrote:never listen to anything rambo says.
RambosRemodeler wrote:You're entitled to your opinion but it's wrong.
ffactoryxx
Art Connoisseur

Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:18 pm

I vote Frame Destination as well. Order frames from there and they were great. Make sure to measure your prints closely before hand as some are cut smaller than you think.