Discoloration on print where print rested on acid free mat?

Information on shipping, storing and repairing your art, plus your reviews on products for art collecting, making, storing, etc..
Luminous
Art Connoisseur

Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:07 pm

I recently decided I would like to use the frame I was using for my Ansin Looper print on another piece of art. I used a single acid free mat and I had the framer use one strip of Framers Tape 2 along the top edge of the print. Both the sides and the bottom simply rested on the mat. The mat I used was Bainbridge 8442 Kona. Conservation glass was used and that it was never under direct sun light.

When the framer removed the tape from the print we discovered that there was discoloration on the art side of the creme stock paper. Here are some pics:

Does anyone know what could have possibly caused this? The framer was stumped. The only thing he could come up with is that it might be due to the nature of the paper. It should be noted that I've been going to this framer for a long time and I trust him implicitly. Not to mention he does a lot of work for the local museums.

My biggest concern in all of this is figuring out how to approach framing here on out. Heck, it may even factor into my collecting habits. I've got the Stout Guardians variant and it appears to be printed on similar paper. How do I go about framing that if this sort of thing is going to happen again?
greenhorn1
Art Expert

Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:09 pm

Looks to me like sun fading.
ISO Horkey Stacy Lowery Paleo Deck. $$$$$$$ (or trade)
Luminous
Art Connoisseur

Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:12 pm

greenhorn1 wrote:Looks to me like sun fading.
Yeah, it does. However, how does that happen with conservation glass and it not being exposed to direct sun light? Not to mention that it has only been in that frame for roughly a year.
ErocAfellar
Art Expert

Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:36 pm

Agreed. Conservation glass doesn't protect 100%.
HappaHaoli wrote:That is freaking Eroctic!
electrachrome
Site Admin

Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:50 pm

ErocAfellar wrote:
thinking the same.

If you curl the poster over, does the back of the paper match the darker or lighter part on the front?
that should tell you if it's fading or discoloration.
Luminous
Art Connoisseur

Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:55 pm

ErocAfellar wrote:
I understand that. It is however 98 - 99% UV protected. I can't imagine this is simple sun fading when it was never under direct light. If that's the case, is everyone's prints in conservation glass suffering from the same thing? Why even bother spending the money on conservation glass? I have regular posters in Target frames that are in better shape.
electrachrome wrote:
ErocAfellar wrote:
thinking the same.

If you curl the poster over, does the back of the paper match the darker or lighter part on the front?
that should tell you if it's fading or discoloration.
Great idea. I just curled the poster over, and the back of the print matches the rest of the paper on the front that was NOT resting on the mat. So the darker discoloration is only found on the front side where the edges rested on the mat.
Willie
Art Connoisseur

Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:18 pm

What color was the piece of matting? There was a recent post on here about black acid free foam core ruining some prints. Might be the same issue?
alittle
Art Freak

Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:19 pm

looks like UV discoloration. Makes me want to float everything.
squalie
Art Expert

Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:24 pm

Willie wrote:What color was the piece of matting? There was a recent post on here about black acid free foam core ruining some prints. Might be the same issue?
http://forum.expressobeans.com/viewtopi ... d+free+mat
Luminous
Art Connoisseur

Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:28 pm

Willie wrote:What color was the piece of matting? There was a recent post on here about black acid free foam core ruining some prints. Might be the same issue?
It was a dark gray mat with a white foam core.

However, now you've got me worried about my Akira print. That's resting on a black foam core. :shock:
Dante0203
Art Connoisseur

Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:34 pm

Dark mount boards (mats) are not completely acid free

Defo check your akira too :shock:
PLUSH
Art Expert

Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:55 pm

Luminous wrote: I can't imagine this is simple sun fading when it was never under direct light.
Unless you are in some flatfile, you always have some light from a window, light bulbs, etc.
Luminous
Art Connoisseur

Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:13 pm

PLUSH wrote:
Luminous wrote: I can't imagine this is simple sun fading when it was never under direct light.
Unless you are in some flatfile, you always have some light from a window, light bulbs, etc.
I was referring to direct sun light.

Anyway, thanks to electrachrome I think it's safe to say this isn't sun fading since the back of the print does not match the edges of the front. This appears to be an effect from the direct contact to the mat.