How to protect a print from smoke damage

Information on shipping, storing and repairing your art, plus your reviews on products for art collecting, making, storing, etc..
Sevensykes
Art Connoisseur

Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:42 am

I tried to find this topic in the forum with no luck, so if this has been brought up before my apologies before hand.

So my father's birthday is coming up and I want to give him his first mondo print. He loves coming to my apartment and seeing the new prints I have, so I think it it finally time to officially indoctrinate him. The only issue is that he smokes in his home. I have tried to get him to quit smoking believe me but in the end it is his decision. We live in North Carolina which is the smoking capital of the world so the majority of people smoke around here.

My question is: is there anyway for me to frame the 24X36 print in a way that would protect it from second hand smoke damage?
rubberneck
Art God

Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:49 am

Unless it's pure white, extremely rare and you acquired it as an investment with aftermarket sales in mind I wouldn't even worry about it.

Your father sounds like he's not too concerned about archival framing, let him enjoy the print.

Just tell him not to be blowing smoke at the glass while he's taking in the majesty of the image on his wall, with a cigarette or pipe in hand.

Otherwise laminate that sucker!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=515-EfhXne0

"rara charta, gravi negotio"
chalkdust
Art Expert

Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:01 am

in the final stages of framing, after the backing board is in place and affixed with points I would recommend sealing the entire gap around the perimeter with artists tape or masking tape. After that you will want to kraft paper over the back to cover the seal you've made, and then trim to frame's edge. This will not only look nicer, but adds another layer of barrier for the smoke. I'd say it's still not 100% protected, but should help.. :cheers:
Sevensykes
Art Connoisseur

Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:09 pm

I appreciate the advice fellas :notworthy: . Yeah maybe I'm worrying about it too much, the print is not a ZOMG stout or anything. That and it's not like he's gonna sell it. I will probably just frame and seal the back like you recommended chalkdust.

It's a Whalen Army of Darkness. Not an expensive print but I'm hoping to get it signed by Bruce Campbell this weekend.
CHR1S
Art Expert

Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:50 am

They make a frame sealing foil tape that is meant to seal dust and other impurities out of a frame. It comes in a number of different widths. Once you get the frame you tape the backing to frame. No need for a paper dust seal once you use the tape.

http://www.lineco.com/cart.php?m=product_list&c=360