Wheat Paste...seeing is believing

Information on shipping, storing and repairing your art, plus your reviews on products for art collecting, making, storing, etc..
maddoghoek100
Art Expert

Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:06 pm

i think some people dont think enough about the particular paper they are hinging. some cotton rag papers are very susceptible to puckering from even the hint of moisture to release the paste. you do have to be very careful if you do not know what you are doing and have never worked with the particular paper before
CHR1S wrote:
Codeblue wrote:
alittle wrote:This is the only way to do it. A shame anyone uses that garbage "archival" tape.
It's a time consuming process so expect to pay more for framing if ya can actually find a framer that will use it. Or just DIY which is kind of a pain in the ass too.
Repairing or conserving a print that has been hinged improperly takes even more time and money.
CHR1S
Art Expert

Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:40 pm

So true...understanding how different papers react to moisture is very important.

That being said whenever I work with wheat paste I'm always using lots of small square pieces of blotter paper. I take a tiny brushstroke of wheat paste and paint it on the blotter paper first. This does two things.....it minimizes he amount of paste on the brush and the blotter paper absorbs excess moisture. I then take another small square of blotter paper and lay the dry mulberry paper on top of it. When I apply the thin coat of wheat paste on to the mulberry paper it is resting on the blotter paper. So the amount of wheat paste transferred to the mulberry paper is minimal and very dry.

Next time I'm matting I'll try to set up the video and show this.
ceevee
Art Expert

Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:45 pm

Please do. Posts like the first one here and your floating demo are invaluable additions to this site!