Valuing Non-Replaceable Prints..

Information on shipping, storing and repairing your art, plus your reviews on products for art collecting, making, storing, etc..
rerocustom1989
Art Connoisseur

Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:22 pm

Hey All,
I'm collecting some information on my collection before hitting up my insurance agent to get a policy made. The price history archives on this website have been invaluable for most of my pieces, but I've hit a wall with the following:

I'm unable to find them for sale anywhere and they're also not tracked on this site. As such I'm hesitant to say what it would cost to replace them. At this point do I bother insuring them if they can't be replaced, or insure them so I at least get something if they're damaged/destroyed?

Anyone have experience in the matter?

EDIT: Requested that Admin move this into the Art Care forum. Seems like the better place.
ricv64
Art Expert

Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:33 pm

You could insure it for whatever you want but that doesn't mean the insurance company will pay you that . I've seen people insure their own artwork but when lost in a fire they said prove to us you've had paintings sell for over 200 bucks . She lost
shoot , move and communicate - 125th SIG BN saying

Leokani Okauwila
halftonegraphics
Art Freak

Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:38 pm

signed and numbered?

everything i could find made it seem like a pre-framed cheap litho.

i probably wouldnt worry too much about value if it is the latter.

the condition on the one looks a little wrinkled..
I broke something today, and I realized I should break something once a week.. - Warhol

1xRun Referral
sidewaysscott
Art God

Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:51 pm

$1.00
pay via paypal, use credit card,file dispute at the 20 day mark if suspicious. don't deal with noobs. don't trade with noobs. request feedback ahead of time. there are lots of good people 'round here.
soam24
Art Freak

Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:56 pm

The frame is worth more right? 50% off michaels i seen them for $5.95
rerocustom1989
Art Connoisseur

Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:58 pm

halftonegraphics wrote:signed and numbered?

everything i could find made it seem like a pre-framed cheap litho.

i probably wouldnt worry too much about value if it is the latter.

the condition on the one looks a little wrinkled..
Nah, they were super cheap pre-framed blah, but If I can't replace them, does the previous cost matter? There's nothing inherently valuable about them, I just like them. Looking to get better frames for them in the future.
Was hoping that was it, as I would like to have a source in the event these were damaged, but that's not it unfortunately.

ricv64 wrote:You could insure it for whatever you want but that doesn't mean the insurance company will pay you that . I've seen people insure their own artwork but when lost in a fire they said prove to us you've had paintings sell for over 200 bucks . She lost
I've heard there's "Agreed value" insurance, where you can insure them for a particular value, and claim that amount. Is that what that other artist had tried?
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:20 pm

fudge 14'ers say.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
mistersmith
Art Freak

Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:29 pm

These aren't worth anything so you're going to have a hard time insuring them. Just because you value something doesn't mean your insurance company could. Or should. But if you want to take out a custom policy on them for a million bucks, sure, an insurer would write that policy...but it'll cost you.
electrachrome, mostly kidding wrote:mr smith, EB's poet laureate.
Take this man at his word:
misterx wrote:Don't enter into discourse with me.
Poeschel55

Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:37 pm

Codeblue wrote:fudge ALTs say.
rerocustom1989
Art Connoisseur

Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:25 pm

mistersmith wrote:These aren't worth anything so you're going to have a hard time insuring them. Just because you value something doesn't mean your insurance company could. Or should. But if you want to take out a custom policy on them for a million bucks, sure, an insurer would write that policy...but it'll cost you.
Makes sense. Thanks for the serious responses! Always a gamble posting here.
charter
Art Expert

Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:17 am

Because you post nonsense most of the time.