New to this. What do you store your prints in?

Information on shipping, storing and repairing your art, plus your reviews on products for art collecting, making, storing, etc..
maKINGwaffles

Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:25 am

I'm brand new to this but have went on a binge and bought a bunch of nice prints I want to lay flat and preserve them in mint condition. Obvious, framing them would be an option but I don't plan to spend the money to frame them all. I also don't want to spend a bunch on a fancy folder, but I need something I could store in the closet and pull out as I want to look at the posters. I would normally buy something I just find on Amazon, but want to make sure I don't buy a cheap one that ruins all my new Sperry prints.

Thanks

King
bkboy77
Art Expert

Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:18 pm

fung430 wrote:Expressobeans knows everything.
lobotomizer
Art Expert

Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:14 pm

I saw print mafia looking for an ikea Alex.
http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/50264927/
summoner
Art Freak

Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:45 pm

lobotomizer wrote:I saw print mafia looking for an ikea Alex.
http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/50264927/
Those are only good for anything smaller than 18x24. They are even too small for an 18x24.
Image Image Image
heefageLA
Art Connoisseur

Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:21 pm

Not to highjack the thread, but im also painfully new to this and my dad will be building me a flat file soon.

Could I see some pics of what you guys store your prints in?

He wants to build something vertical to take up less room in the house, but my understanding is that you need to keep them flat...
jpfondu
Art Expert

Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:24 pm

heefageLA wrote:Not to highjack the thread, but im also painfully new to this and my dad will be building me a flat file soon.

Could I see some pics of what you guys store your prints in?

He wants to build something vertical to take up less room in the house, but my understanding is that you need to keep them flat...
I saw a flat file a guy had made, but the top was glass so he could also display any print he wanted and use it as a table. Pretty class.
heefageLA
Art Connoisseur

Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:28 pm

Yeah, I seen that one too. That's what gave me the idea to have my dad build one. He builds cabinets and furniture for a living, so it wouldn't be nothing to have him hook something up.
Heres the link to that glass top flat file.

http://forum.expressobeans.com/viewtopi ... tart=34245

Its toward the bottom of that page
maKINGwaffles

Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:40 pm

I went ahead and purchased the Itoya 18x24 one as recommended in the link provided on storage. First of thank you for this link. Second, this is awesome and $30 well spent, but most of my prints are Sperry's and won't fit in the 18x24 portfolio. Framing 24x36 posters are not cheap, so I need a way to keep these prestige until I find funds to frame or trade them. Got any ideas for the big boys?
xbrc
Art Expert

Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:47 pm

maKINGwaffles wrote:I went ahead and purchased the Itoya 18x24 one as recommended in the link provided on storage. First of thank you for this link. Second, this is awesome and $30 well spent, but most of my prints are Sperry's and won't fit in the 18x24 portfolio. Framing 24x36 posters are not cheap, so I need a way to keep these prestige until I find funds to frame or trade them. Got any ideas for the big boys?
Frequently check craigslist, sometimes you see great deals on flat files. I found a nice one on there earlier this year for $75.
jmagee87
Art Expert

Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:49 pm

xbrc wrote:
maKINGwaffles wrote:I went ahead and purchased the Itoya 18x24 one as recommended in the link provided on storage. First of thank you for this link. Second, this is awesome and $30 well spent, but most of my prints are Sperry's and won't fit in the 18x24 portfolio. Framing 24x36 posters are not cheap, so I need a way to keep these prestige until I find funds to frame or trade them. Got any ideas for the big boys?
Frequently check craigslist, sometimes you see great deals on flat files. I found a nice one on there earlier this year for $75.
This. Just spend some time looking for a flat file on craigslist
Kramerica wrote:never listen to anything rambo says.
RambosRemodeler wrote:You're entitled to your opinion but it's wrong.
summoner
Art Freak

Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:49 pm

Go and get 2 pieces of acid free foam core (at least 3-4"s larger all around than the prints) and some of the 41mm binder clips (at least 3 per side. Lay the prints flat and make a foam core sammich, using the binder clips to securely hold everything together. You can then slide it under a bed, or stand it up in a closet.
Image Image Image
jmagee87
Art Expert

Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:50 pm

summoner wrote:
Go and get 2 pieces of acid free foam core (at least 3-4"s larger all around than the prints) and some of the 41mm binder clips (at least 3 per side. Lay the prints flat and make a foam core sammich, using the binder clips to securely hold everything together. You can then slide it under a bed, or stand it up in a closet.
This too. This was my method of choice until I purchased a flat file. Just make sure you separate the prints with either glassine or some acid free storage bags
Kramerica wrote:never listen to anything rambo says.
RambosRemodeler wrote:You're entitled to your opinion but it's wrong.
xbrc
Art Expert

Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:51 pm

jmagee87 wrote:
summoner wrote:
This too. This was my method of choice until I purchased a flat file. Just make sure you separate the prints with either glassine or some acid free storage bags
http://www.framedestination.com/bags/pr ... em/BGPRBA/

:)
mrkyuss
Art God

Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:13 am

President of the DALeast MAN LOVE club.
President of the Late Night Crew (LNC).
dhokes
Art Connoisseur

Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:43 am

MabehAlZukYadeek wrote:I just keep mine in tube :(
It's not a good idea to keep prints rolled up long-term. Ideally you want to store them flat.