Moving your collection?

Information on shipping, storing and repairing your art, plus your reviews on products for art collecting, making, storing, etc..
jimmybing
Art Connoisseur

Sun May 11, 2014 10:01 pm

I'm moving in a couple of weeks, and was wondering if anyone had tips on moving a flat file. I want to make sure everything I've got in it doesn't get bashed up. Any help is appreciated.
allbloody
Art Expert

Sun May 11, 2014 10:08 pm

tag and bag with acid free.
Last edited by allbloody on Sun May 11, 2014 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
natepachl
Art Expert

Sun May 11, 2014 10:22 pm

In the same predicament now. Recently put another 50-60 prints of value on backer board and slipped them in mylar to prevent damage from shifting.

For the rest, layered in a few posters between foam core with glassine separating them. The flat file is bursting at the seams, but everything is protected and stable. Probably overkill, but if you damage a $1,000 print....you'll wished you would dropped the extra coin to protect everything,
I wouldn't deal with JakeStanley / eBay user fratdaddyjake
dasponyboy
Art Expert

Sun May 11, 2014 10:29 pm

I recently moved and pretty much did what was already stated and it worked perfectly. I put expensive prints on 30x40 backers with photo corners and put them in poly bags. Then sandwiched them in foamcore and used binder clips. The less expensive ones I interleaved with Glassine and sandwiched them.

If your flatfile drawers are all sliding perfectly I'd suggest labeling them. I didn't and a few of them just seem to be off and not sliding as smooth as before.
jimmybing
Art Connoisseur

Sun May 11, 2014 10:37 pm

I keep my stuff in bags so it looks like sandwiching them is gonna be the way to go. Since it'll be a short move, I'll probably just use cardboard. Do you guys know if you can buy cardboard sheets in-store from Staples, or do you have to order online? Where else do you think I could buy cardboard backers in bundles?
allbloody
Art Expert

Sun May 11, 2014 10:39 pm

bulkhead was saying i could get acid free paper here at Jerry's Artarama. they may have cardboard backers as well????
dasponyboy
Art Expert

Sun May 11, 2014 10:40 pm

jimmybing wrote:I keep my stuff in bags so it looks like sandwiching them is gonna be the way to go. Since it'll be a short move, I'll probably just use cardboard. Do you guys know if you can buy cardboard sheets in-store from Staples, or do you have to order online? Where else do you think I could buy cardboard backers in bundles?
I'd go to Jerry's and ask if they have any boxes that foamcore come in. Darkknight and I did it after Stout/Taylor and they found a couple. Then the guy told us they had a spot in back where they put all the cardboard for recycling :notworthy: