Any suggestions on flattening a canvas??

Information on shipping, storing and repairing your art, plus your reviews on products for art collecting, making, storing, etc..
misterx
Art Expert

Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:35 pm

I received a canvas today, unstretched. The artist rolled the canvas around what appears to be a flattened thin tube not dissimilar to the cardboard tube glad wrap is wound around, but thicker.
Because the glad wrap tube was more flat than rounded, it has caused what appears to be subtle parallel creases all the way through the piece.

Will this drop out with time? Will stretching the canvas improve it?

I only unpacked it 5 minutes ago, so my request for advice may not be needed as the canvas relaxes, but thought I would throw this out there and see what responses I get....

Thanks.
War is peace. Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength.
misterx
Art Expert

Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:16 am

photo.JPG
Ive had a little play and it seems if I pull the canvas tightly from both sides it appears to take out the creasing, so hopefully a drum -tight stretching will do the trick.
i also reached out to the artist, who has been great to work with, so I shall see.

If anybody has any advice/input I would appreciate it.
TOTM
Art Expert

Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:04 am

Certainly not ideal mate, unfortunately just looks like it's been squashed somewheres along the line... Not all lost though man, by the sound of it, it's streching out with just a little pull & would imagine it would flatten out completely if you gave it a good horn! If you're attempting it yourself, might a suggest giving the back a very light spray of water, like from one of those fine mist water bottles, will help with the stretching... Wish you well with it.
misterx
Art Expert

Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:00 am

Thanks mate,off at the framers at the mo...we shall see!