Can (should) I use craft paper to separate my prints in stor

Information on shipping, storing and repairing your art, plus your reviews on products for art collecting, making, storing, etc..
jrm27
Art Enthusiast

Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:54 pm

Hello all,

I don't have a lot of prints, and I'm slowly hanging what I can. However, I am putting together a cheap storage solution with foamcore and binder clips. Can I use craft paper to put between my prints to keep down the possibility of ink transfer? Is that advisable? I figured that since most posters I've received have been wrapped in it, it's probably okay for storage?
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:00 pm

jrm27 wrote:Hello all,

I don't have a lot of prints, and I'm slowly hanging what I can. However, I am putting together a cheap storage solution with foamcore and binder clips. Can I use craft paper to put between my prints to keep down the possibility of ink transfer? Is that advisable? I figured that since most posters I've received have been wrapped in it, it's probably okay for storage?
It's okay for short term, but it's not acid free. Get some acid free tissue if you want something between them. I personally only put tissue over the prints with lots of black ink on them, the ones that could easily scuff.
Kramerica
Art Freak

Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:02 pm

No, layer glassine or tissue between the prints.
Last edited by Kramerica on Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When I'm done ranting about elite power that rules the planet under a totalitarian government that uses the media to keep people stupid, my throat gets parched. That's why I drink Orange Drink. - BH
disdig1
Art Expert

Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:02 pm

glassine paper by far the best for separating prints in between foam core. one roll will last year years.

http://www.jerrysartarama.com/discount- ... r-roll.htm
haven
Art Expert

Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:03 pm

disdig1 wrote:glassine paper by far the best for separating prints in between foam core. one roll will last year years.

http://www.jerrysartarama.com/discount- ... r-roll.htm
Just what I was about to post. You can also get it in individual sheets.

http://www.dickblick.com/products/glass ... ing-paper/
jrm27
Art Enthusiast

Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:59 pm

great. thanks all! I made up a flat storage setup yesterday with foamcore and have some glassine on order. I'd been flattening out my posters with some weights on the corners for the past few weeks, but they still have a bit of curl to them. I'm hoping that having them sandwiched between some foamcore and then putting some heavy books on top of the foamcore will help remedy that.