Flat File Help

Information on shipping, storing and repairing your art, plus your reviews on products for art collecting, making, storing, etc..

Postby 63schoeffling on Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:41 pm

So I think my next purchase is going to be a flat file since the portfolios aren't cutting it. Plus, I need something permanent instead of worrying about storage. But since I haven't really had too much experience with them I was wondering what anyone's thoughts are on this guy:

http://www.bizchair.com/244876-244877-eel.html

It seems like this is the most reasonable price and includes a base as hell. If anyone has any other options just let me know.
User avatar
63schoeffling
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 7733
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:52 am
ImageImageImageImageImage

Postby tehhippy on Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:51 pm

Where do you live? Just keep an eye on Craigslist and you'll find something relatively quickly if you're patient. Used metal files are usually between $50-$200 depending on condition. Wood ones pop up now and again, sometimes they're really pricey but every once in awhile you'll find a steal. Good luck!
User avatar
tehhippy
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 3814
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:57 pm

Postby 63schoeffling on Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:55 pm

tehhippy wrote:Where do you live? Just keep an eye on Craigslist and you'll find something relatively quickly if you're patient. Used metal files are usually between $50-$200 depending on condition. Wood ones pop up now and again, sometimes they're really pricey but every once in awhile you'll find a steal. Good luck!



I'm in Philly and I checked CL a few times over the last month or two and nothing really came up. There was one for around $1,000 that was super nice but I don't really need all that jazz. I figured instead of going out and framing all my pieces right now, I need to settle into the house a bit and make sure the layout is right so I know what will go where. The flat file is still a cheaper option and will let me hold a boat load of prints.
User avatar
63schoeffling
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 7733
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:52 am
ImageImageImageImageImage

Postby tehhippy on Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:21 pm

63schoeffling wrote:
tehhippy wrote:Where do you live? Just keep an eye on Craigslist and you'll find something relatively quickly if you're patient. Used metal files are usually between $50-$200 depending on condition. Wood ones pop up now and again, sometimes they're really pricey but every once in awhile you'll find a steal. Good luck!



I'm in Philly and I checked CL a few times over the last month or two and nothing really came up. There was one for around $1,000 that was super nice but I don't really need all that jazz. I figured instead of going out and framing all my pieces right now, I need to settle into the house a bit and make sure the layout is right so I know what will go where. The flat file is still a cheaper option and will let me hold a boat load of prints.

http://lancaster.craigslist.org/for/4313315524.html

This might be relatively close, don't really know geography that well up by you. :P PM billyg, he is the zen master of CL search terms to find them.
User avatar
tehhippy
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 3814
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:57 pm

Postby 63schoeffling on Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:03 pm

True, and yeah that's a good ways north or where I am at so after transportation, hassle and all that time....for an old flat file with some missing pieces it will bump the price up a decent amount. I think that maybe spending a little more up front might pay off for the long run especially since it includes the clamps, no dents, any of that.
User avatar
63schoeffling
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 7733
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:52 am
ImageImageImageImageImage

Postby Petro on Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:24 pm

$386.99 for a new flat file with base included is a crazy good deal. Doesn't seem to tell you how much shipping would be though. Could be a deal breaker.

You will be advised via email (shipping amount) within 1-2 business days to obtain your approval before the order is processed.
User avatar
Petro
Art Connoisseur
 
Status: Active
Posts: 429
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:37 am

Postby FreeTheWestMemphis3 on Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:31 pm

Petro wrote:$386.99 for a new flat file with base included is a crazy good deal. Doesn't seem to tell you how much shipping would be though. Could be a deal breaker.

You will be advised via email (shipping amount) within 1-2 business days to obtain your approval before the order is processed.


Freight shipping to a residential address with a lift gate could cost around $100...give or take the carrier. Acessorial charges for residential and lift gate kills.
User avatar
FreeTheWestMemphis3
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 2019
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:37 pm
ErocAfellar wrote:Repubs don't want to cut government spending. They just want to cut government spending on things they don't agree with.

Postby jjttdw on Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:53 pm

My only comment would be to make sure you get one that is big enough. I have a fair number of things that are 30x42 which would not fit in the base model. Its worth the extra money to get something that holds everything (almost).
User avatar
jjttdw
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 4406
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:45 pm
NEWPORTS69 wrote:ive kept journal for very long time and ranked public restrooms because i srs hate using them, was working on an app but im not very smart

Postby thevintageguy on Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:56 pm

jjttdw wrote:My only comment would be to make sure you get one that is big enough. I have a fair number of things that are 30x42 which would not fit in the base model. Its worth the extra money to get something that holds everything (almost).


I just got a flat file as well. What do yall use to seperate the prints? I have a hobby lobby in my town but nothing acid-free there that I can find. Any advice on the economic side would be appreciated! Thx
thevintageguy
Art Connoisseur
 
Status: Active
Posts: 515
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:02 am

Postby soam24 on Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:04 pm

thevintageguy wrote:
jjttdw wrote:My only comment would be to make sure you get one that is big enough. I have a fair number of things that are 30x42 which would not fit in the base model. Its worth the extra money to get something that holds everything (almost).


I just got a flat file as well. What do yall use to seperate the prints? I have a hobby lobby in my town but nothing acid-free there that I can find. Any advice on the economic side would be appreciated! Thx



Depends on the prints.

A lot I just have stacked on one another.

Most just separated with tissue paper
User avatar
soam24
Art Freak
 
Status: Active
Posts: 11970
Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2007 12:00 am
Location: The land of lizards

Postby jjttdw on Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:17 pm

thevintageguy wrote:
jjttdw wrote:My only comment would be to make sure you get one that is big enough. I have a fair number of things that are 30x42 which would not fit in the base model. Its worth the extra money to get something that holds everything (almost).


I just got a flat file as well. What do yall use to seperate the prints? I have a hobby lobby in my town but nothing acid-free there that I can find. Any advice on the economic side would be appreciated! Thx


I store most of the 18x24 in itoya portfolios. The larger ones are sandwiched in between acid free foam core, separated by tissue. I've been picking around bags unlimited and I think I will pick some bags for most of the bigger ones.
User avatar
jjttdw
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 4406
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:45 pm
NEWPORTS69 wrote:ive kept journal for very long time and ranked public restrooms because i srs hate using them, was working on an app but im not very smart


Return to Art Care



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests