Flat File Corner - Tips, Questions, Answers, Etc.

Information on shipping, storing and repairing your art, plus your reviews on products for art collecting, making, storing, etc..
thevintageguy

Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:38 pm

Amazing Thread! Thanks!
smm24339
Art Connoisseur

Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:00 pm

thevintageguy wrote:Amazing Thread! Thanks!
Great thread. See if you can add your first post to the Wiki page. Very useful.
appletree
Art Expert

Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:02 pm

Thanks all for the suggestions and discussions. I will snap some photos this afternoon to share.

nsd, I will look around and see if there is somewhere that sells more quantity options. Have you tried bagsunlimited yet?
<3 + Image = T.H.C.

:::Johnathon Powers Photography:::
Sail wrote:it was all just a misunderstandingtree.
SurfingJeff
Art Expert

Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:24 pm

nsd wrote:Great thread. Any tips on the 24x36 bags at a quantity between 10 and 100? Some of the places I looked before (like the Krystal link above at Jerry's) no longer carry that size or the quantities are either 10 or 100 but nothing in between.
Take the time to do the math on the Framedestination bags, and you'll see that buying in the bulk 100 packs is actually MUCH cheaper than 10 at a time. For example, the 24 x 36 bags cost $16 for 10 ($1.60/each) or $64.80 for 100 ($.65/each). If you plan to use more than ~40 bags, it's a better deal to buy the 100 pack. I think that's probably why they don't offer more quantity options.
T.H.C.
Lolodrummer
Art Connoisseur

Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:57 pm

Thank you! Great thread!! You've answered so many questions for me!

I'm going to invest in some of the archival materials and I'm not eh hunt for a single or double drawer flat file to go under my bed. I don;t have space for it anywhere else. Do they make single or double drawer flat files? I'm having a hard time finding one.

I was trying to use the 24x36 Picturesque portfolio from Jerry's to store my prints but most of them wouldn't go into the sleeves without a fight and I wasn't going to force them. Is it difficult to get the prints the Crystal Clear sleeves?

Thanks again!
jjbehren
Flipper

Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:51 pm

Lolodrummer wrote:Thank you! Great thread!! You've answered so many questions for me!

I'm going to invest in some of the archival materials and I'm not eh hunt for a single or double drawer flat file to go under my bed. I don;t have space for it anywhere else. Do they make single or double drawer flat files? I'm having a hard time finding one.

I was trying to use the 24x36 Picturesque portfolio from Jerry's to store my prints but most of them wouldn't go into the sleeves without a fight and I wasn't going to force them. Is it difficult to get the prints the Crystal Clear sleeves?

Thanks again!
Problem solved: http://forum.expressobeans.com/viewtopi ... 7#p1226307
jjbehren
Flipper

Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:58 pm

Some people might find this useful, considering how popular Safco 5-drawer files are. Safco sells a lock kit for their 5-drawer files:

http://www.safcoproducts.com/saf/en/US/ ... uctID=4981

And hats off to dasponyboy for pointing me towards ebay, where there are usually some cheaper locks for $30-$40.
appletree
Art Expert

Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:14 pm

Thanks for the links. I requested the first post be updated. Keep up the discussions. I will take photos tonight since I need to package up some stuff anyway.
<3 + Image = T.H.C.

:::Johnathon Powers Photography:::
Sail wrote:it was all just a misunderstandingtree.
Lolodrummer
Art Connoisseur

Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:08 pm

jjbehren wrote:
Lolodrummer wrote:Thank you! Great thread!! You've answered so many questions for me!

Thanks again!
Problem solved: http://forum.expressobeans.com/viewtopi ... 7#p1226307

Haha, well I can attempt to assemble something like that
DonPiano
Art Expert

Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:47 am

I've read some people bareback prints together when laying them in the flat file - naked prints laying on naked prints. Right now I'm currently using a few sheets of kraft paper to line the drawer - gave up trying to cut the foam core to fit properly - then going print > glassine > print > glassine. Is that the best thing I can do if I can't get poly/Mylar bags? (Well, I can, but it's about $500 for 50 bags. Youch.)
The Curb

Friends and Like-Minded Souls of webuyyourkids Facebook Group

Hotdogs are not sandwiches.

Friends & Family don't let Friends & Family send money via Friends & Family.
dasponyboy
Art Expert

Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:56 am

DonPiano wrote:I've read some people bareback prints together when laying them in the flat file - naked prints laying on naked prints. Right now I'm currently using a few sheets of kraft paper to line the drawer - gave up trying to cut the foam core to fit properly - then going print > glassine > print > glassine. Is that the best thing I can do if I can't get poly/Mylar bags? (Well, I can, but it's about $500 for 50 bags. Youch.)
Hey Andrew :wink: I actually use oversized acid free watercolor paper to line the drawers. Picked them up from an art supply store for like $3 a sheet and I think the paper size was 30x40
Yamar
EB Team Emeritus

Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:01 pm

I'll be one of those voices that say that layering all of your prints with glassine/mylar/etc. is a bit of overkill. I have about 20 drawers of storage currently running and I layer only higher end/price items personally. Granted, I'd put the vast majority of the 2000+ prints in the office as having a market value of $30 or less, so it's not really a big thing/concern for me compared to many others. Just saying that a number of those items have been in the files and (gasp!) touching each other for 5-10 years with no ill effects...
Tra la la la la...
jjbehren
Flipper

Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:04 pm

Agreed, but you do have to be a little careful, though. Not long ago I had one of the Faile 250 prints on top of my Danger Escape. "Bareback," but only for a week or maybe 10 days, while they flattened. The red stamp on the back of the Faile ended up bleeding a bit, making faint yellow watermark-looking thing on the Danger.
summoner
Art Freak

Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:21 pm

I store just about everything in the same sleeves from Frame Destination, and cannot be happier. For normal screenprints I would not be worried about layering without anything in between, but for something with really thick glossy ink you want something covering to protect what is on top.

Don't be embarrassed, I have thought about picking a couple of these up (below), but they will only fit 24x36 (max) prints, and I have 2 flat file now that can do that job... Looking for the next size up, the 53x42 model.

lsmith55 wrote:Nice Thread Appletree- consolidating and summarizing everything helps a great deal.

As for my set up- I use the crystal clear protective sleeves from Frame Destination on everything and store it all in the Martha Stewart flat file. I keep everything flat with poster weights in all four corners (from iWish) I was a bit embarrassed to purchase a Martha Stewart product, but I'm really glad i did. The quality is top-notch- made of solid wood and has ball-bearing sliding drawers. It's super smooth, looks like nice furniture and gets the job done. I'll take a pic of my own set up later on, but for now, here is a stock photo:

Thanks again for the helpful thread! :clap: :notworthy:
Image Image Image
DonPiano
Art Expert

Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:26 am

dasponyboy wrote:
DonPiano wrote:I've read some people bareback prints together when laying them in the flat file - naked prints laying on naked prints. Right now I'm currently using a few sheets of kraft paper to line the drawer - gave up trying to cut the foam core to fit properly - then going print > glassine > print > glassine. Is that the best thing I can do if I can't get poly/Mylar bags? (Well, I can, but it's about $500 for 50 bags. Youch.)
Hey Andrew :wink: I actually use oversized acid free watercolor paper to line the drawers. Picked them up from an art supply store for like $3 a sheet and I think the paper size was 30x40
Awesome. I'll have to do that. Cheers.
The Curb

Friends and Like-Minded Souls of webuyyourkids Facebook Group

Hotdogs are not sandwiches.

Friends & Family don't let Friends & Family send money via Friends & Family.