Flat File Corner - Tips, Questions, Answers, Etc.

Information on shipping, storing and repairing your art, plus your reviews on products for art collecting, making, storing, etc..
dolamite24
Art Connoisseur

Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:07 am

Anyone know how deep the drawers are on the glass top model?
appletree
Art Expert

Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:53 pm

Riley75 wrote:WOW-

Just passing through, as a newer member- and trying to figure out how and where to store my art.

All of the info I just crammed into my brain is very helpful. Craigslist certainly has some good deals-

I don't have any huge collection, or even one worth much, so I may attempt to build something to store them.

Just thanking everyone for the info, and the pictures and the advice!

- Kristen
Great to hear Kristen. Happy to know this helping!
And your collection is your collection, just love and know that as long as it is awesome to you, then both the amount and value needn't matter.
<3 + Image = T.H.C.

:::Johnathon Powers Photography:::
Sail wrote:it was all just a misunderstandingtree.
theperfecttree
EB Team

Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:51 pm

here's an easy solution if you don't want your flat file to sit flush on the ground...

After picking up this 10-drawer set off craigslist I bought 2 wood dollies to use as a base from Lowes. Each dolly can hold 1,000 pounds and they're only $20/each. For the price and convenience I'm really happy with how it turned out.

Image Image
Diabolos80
Art Expert

Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:53 am

Thank you for reviving this thread. I just like reading about how you guys store your art. And it's got pictures! Flat files are handsome furniture. I haven't devised a permanent solution for where the hell do I put this stuff I can't afford to frame yet? And with only 8 currently unframed prints (we like to frame), our collection does not yet warrant a new piece of furniture. I have 7 bigass sleeves with acid free foam core backing. I've got it all cinched up tight yada yada. Now where the hell do I put this stuff?
Kids, man. They change everything. Like, we can't have nice things very close to the floor. "Collectibles must be 48 inches tall to survive." I can't slide a bundle of posters under my bed. Kids will find it, and make it squeal. So, currently my print sandwich is lying on my dining room table. And my wife is okay with that because A) we don't eat in there, B) the room is dark (no uv), and C) kids don't generally find fun things to do in dining rooms, so they avoid them. Which works out well to protect the art I can't afford to hang highhhh on the wall (away from Capri suns and soccer balls). Because it's balls to the walls here, Sweet Susie. Help me Tom Cruise. I'm on fire!
alison03
Art Expert

Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:47 am

I came to post my flat file (crummy ad pic)...1940's metal file with base and finished top and brass knobs. Pretty excited to finally have something...will get proper pics and description up soon once I get it set up over the weekend.

But I had to say...your story reminded me of our nephews like 10 years ago...they were 2, 5, and 8 and we were visiting them one summer for the Fourth. We bought fireworks and hid them under our bed in our hotel to surprise them with at night. You can guess where this is going...they came running in and within minutes pulled out the fireworks like "what's this???" lol! It still boggles our minds to this day why the first thing they did was look under the bed! Kids...
josephwillis
Art Enthusiast

Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:28 pm

I picked up some old wooden mayline flat files. I have some grand plans for them. I will post some progress pictures as it goes a long. For now, a picture of how they started (missing two drawers) and another picture after a quick sand. Will keep you updated.
Pr5yZpq - Imgur.jpg
RONJOYf - Imgur.jpg
josephwillis
Art Enthusiast

Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:07 pm

Little more work today. Removed hardware, and sanded drawers and fixed one of the cross beams.
bHXk8IR - Imgur.jpg
V93d2sS - Imgur.jpg
8hI8wh5 - Imgur.jpg
JasonBourne
Art Connoisseur

Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:54 pm

^^^ Looking good :thumb:
josephwillis
Art Enthusiast

Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:09 pm

Cut a piece of wood to cover up the two missing drawers (It will replace the 2 bottommost spots). Also stained everything.
image1 (1).JPG
image2 (1).JPG
JasonBourne
Art Connoisseur

Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:16 pm

^^^ Nice.
josephwillis
Art Enthusiast

Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:27 pm

JasonBourne wrote:^^^ Nice.
Thanks.
I'm looking for a good deal on some unique handles or cup pulls. Something vintage looking. Let me know if anyone sees any deals. Thanks!
barneybp
Art Connoisseur

Fri Dec 18, 2015 3:06 pm

So after three years of collecting, I've decided to leave the portfolio behind and purchased a pair of flat files from a business that was closing.

Inside - there are these "weighted tarp" things. I can't really see any value this would provide me for storing the artwork. Should I remove them or is there some purpose or worth to these that I'm too stupid to see? :D

Cragars
Art Expert

Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:44 am

I think they're just there to prevent the sides from curling up and getting bumped when you open the drawer. You can take em' out and just use some acid free foamcore or light weights instead.
jwolfe3
Art Connoisseur

Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:40 pm

barneybp wrote:So after three years of collecting, I've decided to leave the portfolio behind and purchased a pair of flat files from a business that was closing.

Inside - there are these "weighted tarp" things. I can't really see any value this would provide me for storing the artwork. Should I remove them or is there some purpose or worth to these that I'm too stupid to see? :D

I picked up a 10 drawer flat file last winter that has the same "tarp" type covers in each drawer. These covers are hinged in the back of the drawer and slide into slots in the front of the drawer. The hinges in the back of the drawer allow the removal of the tarps, but I left the tarps in place. I have acid free foam boards on the bottom of each drawer. For the few drawers that I do not have second piece of acid free board to sandwich my prints I store my extra sheets of glassine or tissue paper on top of the prints and use the tarp for more protection on top of the extra sheets.
I'm think Cragars is correct, the purpose of the tarps is to prevent thin papers from curling and getting damaged when the drawers are opened and closed. Fwiw I still find the tarps useful.
SurfingJeff
Art Expert

Sun Dec 20, 2015 1:44 pm

Yeah - they are called dust covers. They keep out dust and prevent prints from getting caught while opening and closing. They always seemed nice to me, would be happy to keep them if my FF had them.
T.H.C.