Flat File Corner - Tips, Questions, Answers, Etc.

Information on shipping, storing and repairing your art, plus your reviews on products for art collecting, making, storing, etc..
earlgreytoast
Art Expert

Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:56 am

Yamar wrote:I'll be one of those voices that say that layering all of your prints with glassine/mylar/etc. is a bit of overkill. I have about 20 drawers of storage currently running and I layer only higher end/price items personally. Granted, I'd put the vast majority of the 2000+ prints in the office as having a market value of $30 or less, so it's not really a big thing/concern for me compared to many others. Just saying that a number of those items have been in the files and (gasp!) touching each other for 5-10 years with no ill effects...
This. The only prints I separate with glassine are the hand-sprayed or hand-finished prints and prints with higher value.
Codeblue wrote: I’m sorry for everything.
mnelson
Art Connoisseur

Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:10 pm

Hey all,

I've been reading through all of the posts and gathering differing methods/opinions on how to store prints in your flat file. Having just bought a flat file of my own (finally), here is the route I'm thinking of taking:

Put down a piece of acid-free foamcore on the bottom of the drawer. Put each flattened print in a Crystal Clear art bag (http://www.framedestination.com/bags/pr ... em/BGPRBA/) and stack these individually sleeved prints on top of each other. I don't plan on using framing corners and mounting each print to foamcore inside each sleeve.

Do you guys think this method will suffice for safe archival storage of my art? I was going to order some acid free tissue as well (http://www.framedestination.com/tissue/ ... 000536500/) to use to lay on top of prints when flattening them, would it be overkill, as some have said, to put a sheet in between each stacked print?
summoner
Art Freak

Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:50 pm

mnelson wrote:Put down a piece of acid-free foamcore on the bottom of the drawer.
I use Mr. Brainwash lithos on the bottom of all my flat file drawers... :oops:
Image Image Image
EG8
Art Expert

Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:02 pm

I actually do that too!
nelson, I think the most important thing you are doing is purchasing bags. I skip the foamcore personally, but go for it if you feel its needed...
Image Image Image
SurfingJeff
Art Expert

Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:21 pm

EG8 wrote:I actually do that too!
nelson, I think the most important thing you are doing is purchasing bags. I skip the foamcore personally, but go for it if you feel its needed...
Yeah - the foamcore is going to eat up space very quickly. I would skip it for most prints, and maybe look into backing boards for higher value items.
T.H.C.
jjbehren
Flipper

Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:57 pm

The foamcore he's referring to is just to ling the bottom of the drawers, not for each print.

I have foamcore on the bottom, too, but I need more room so I'm thinking about ditching it for some sleeves.
someasiandude
Art Expert

Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:02 pm

I just got this flat file from Craiglist and i was wonder what the HECK these flaps are for..anyone know? Image

SurfingJeff
Art Expert

Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:23 pm

They are called "depressors" and they are supposed to hold your prints flat so that they don't snag while opening/closing the drawer. In theory, you would flip the depressor back, put your prints in, and then carefully set the depressor back on top of everything. Personally, I'm always a worried that they are going to harm my prints, so I don't actually use them. I just lay a backing board on top of the stack to keep everything flat and snag free.
T.H.C.
someasiandude
Art Expert

Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:28 pm

SurfingJeff wrote:They are called "depressors" and they are supposed to hold your prints flat so that they don't snag while opening/closing the drawer. In theory, you would flip the depressor back, put your prints in, and then carefully set the depressor back on top of everything. Personally, I'm always a worried that they are going to harm my prints, so I don't actually use them. I just lay a backing board on top of the stack to keep everything flat and snag free.
Thanks for the advice, I was thinking of doing that exact thing..just in case the things would harm the prints if they had to be in. I tried removing them they are one with the drawer. I found that it is a Safco Flat file too.
silentbob82
Art Enthusiast

Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:45 pm

My addiction hasn't gotten to the point of needing a flat file. Is it ok to keep my prints between two foam boards and what would be the proper way to do so? The inked sides facing away from or towards each other and how many can I place between each set of foam boards?
DonPiano
Art Expert

Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:37 pm

silentbob82 wrote:My addiction hasn't gotten to the point of needing a flat file. Is it ok to keep my prints between two foam boards and what would be the proper way to do so? The inked sides facing away from or towards each other and how many can I place between each set of foam boards?
You can use a foam board sandwich.

So, it goes like this...

foam board
kraft paper
glassine
print
glassine
print
glassine
print
kraft paper
foam board

Then use bulldog clips to keep them together.
The Curb

Friends and Like-Minded Souls of webuyyourkids Facebook Group

Hotdogs are not sandwiches.

Friends & Family don't let Friends & Family send money via Friends & Family.
silentbob82
Art Enthusiast

Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:44 am

DonPiano wrote:
silentbob82 wrote:My addiction hasn't gotten to the point of needing a flat file. Is it ok to keep my prints between two foam boards and what would be the proper way to do so? The inked sides facing away from or towards each other and how many can I place between each set of foam boards?
You can use a foam board sandwich.

So, it goes like this...

foam board
kraft paper
glassine
print
glassine
print
glassine
print
kraft paper
foam board

Then use bulldog clips to keep them together.
Thanks for the help. I can see my addiction getting real bad... My wife says we can frame one every couple of weeks. Framing will cost more than the prints. lol
DonPiano
Art Expert

Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:08 am

Where are you based? If you're in the US there's a bunch of framing places that can do it for you cheap. Just don't let the hobby get the better of you. Keep this in mind: you do not need every print that is released and if you don't get that print you really must have, just wait and be patient and it'll come to a price which is affordable. It's good having a flat file for sure, but the problem is is that you buy a print, it arrives, you look at it and smile and then put it in your drawer and that's it til you put another print in there and go 'wow, didn't realise I had that'.
The Curb

Friends and Like-Minded Souls of webuyyourkids Facebook Group

Hotdogs are not sandwiches.

Friends & Family don't let Friends & Family send money via Friends & Family.
silentbob82
Art Enthusiast

Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:37 am

:D
SurfingJeff
Art Expert

Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:30 pm

For anyone looking for backing boards, you can get a pretty good price on Jerry's for the next few days. If you add two packs of these, and then use coupon code 'DSTB' you get 30% off + free shipping. The total price comes out to $165.50 shipped, which is $3.31/board. I don't think it gets much cheaper than that.
T.H.C.