Any good couriers in New York?

Information on shipping, storing and repairing your art, plus your reviews on products for art collecting, making, storing, etc..
uglyyoungin
Art Enthusiast

Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:44 pm

Hi all. I need to get a glass framed piece that's also floated shipped to California from New York, New York. The piece is about 41 x 31 x 2 inches and weighs approximately 10 pounds. Any good shippers in New York that are both affordable and reliable? Thanks!

If I posted this in the wrong section, please redirect me. I didn't know where to post this :?
CHR1S
Art Expert

Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:04 pm

You might consider changing out the glass and replacing it with acrylic. Shipping a work framed with glass and going the "affordable" route are not a good combination. A 41x31 piece of glass is heavy and extremely vulnerable especially in transit. Acrylic or plexi will weigh a lot less, be a lot cheaper and safer to ship and be a lot easier and safer to hang on a wall.

If you do insist on keeping the glass you should get some glass protection tape. It's not going to protect the glass in any way but if it does break the tape will at least contain some for the glass and perhaps protect the art. ULINE sells WIDE rolls of glass protection tape. But personally I would never ship a piece of glass that large unless I was using a professional art mover. A professional art mover is reliable, but they will be very expensive.