Shipping international?

Information on shipping, storing and repairing your art, plus your reviews on products for art collecting, making, storing, etc..
Cinlabyrinth
Art Expert

Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:27 pm

Shipping a PB'd print to Australia from Texas, I've never shipped internationally, want to make sure it gets there. Is it wiser to just go straight to USPS and do First Class Intl and add insurance?
Poeschel55

Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:01 pm

Cinlabyrinth wrote:Shipping a PB'd print to Australia from Texas, I've never shipped internationally, want to make sure it gets there. Is it wiser to just go straight to USPS and do First Class Intl and add insurance?
if you ship first class intl make sure the person you pb'ed for is ok with that.

if so, then make sure everything is secure, and use insurepost.com to insure the package after you send it. USPS doesnt let you insure first class
Cinlabyrinth
Art Expert

Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:04 pm

Poeschel55 wrote:
Cinlabyrinth wrote:Shipping a PB'd print to Australia from Texas, I've never shipped internationally, want to make sure it gets there. Is it wiser to just go straight to USPS and do First Class Intl and add insurance?
if you ship first class intl make sure the person you pb'ed for is ok with that.

if so, then make sure everything is secure, and use insurepost.com to insure the package after you send it. USPS doesnt let you insure first class
Thanks Poeschel. The eventual recipient of the print actually mentioned first class intl...I'll have to see what the difference is between that and priority at the PO.
Yamar
EB Team Emeritus

Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:11 pm

Difference is probably going to be in the area of $20-25 (figure around $15 for 1st class, $35-40 for Priority). It's a case where eBay selling is nice because you can use their ShipCover insurance for coverage...
Tra la la la la...
hunkster
Art Connoisseur

Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:12 pm

1nkling wrote:
Celsius wrote:1. Nowadays you can ship to the UK via USPS first class and have it with tracking, so that's a good option if your buyer wishes for cheaper postage but it takes longer and is more susceptible to loss. Loss isn't a problem if you insure it.
Actually First Class seems to be quicker than priority lately. Gets handled less and seems to get less attention via customs. Never had a problem with it.
Second this statement, takes only 5 working days to Continental Europe while using First Class and less customs hassle
aldo
Art Expert

Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:28 pm

Yeah First Class has improved a bunch lately. I sent a record to someone in France on Tuesday and it got there Friday :shock:

No insurance though so don't do it for high value stuff.
Yamar wrote:Difference is probably going to be in the area of $20-25 (figure around $15 for 1st class, $35-40 for Priority). It's a case where eBay selling is nice because you can use their ShipCover insurance for coverage...
For a 2.5lb tube it'll be a little less than $25.. about $45 for Priority and $55/60 for Priority Int'l Express.

I think it evens out because with the eBay fee you could just send it Priority Express which can be insured/tracked and all that.
Cinlabyrinth
Art Expert

Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:47 pm

aldo wrote:Yeah First Class has improved a bunch lately. I sent a record to someone in France on Tuesday and it got there Friday :shock:

Yamar wrote:Difference is probably going to be in the area of $20-25 (figure around $15 for 1st class, $35-40 for Priority). It's a case where eBay selling is nice because you can use their ShipCover insurance for coverage...
For a 2.5lb tube it'll be a little less than $25.. about $45 for Priority and $55/60 for Priority Int'l Express.

I think it evens out because with the eBay fee you could just send it Priority Express which can be insured/tracked and all that.
Can you do tubes through eBay/PP that weigh 2-3 lbs? I always thought the paypal thing has some 1 lb weight limit or something....
Has anyone done a 'fake' ebay transaction just to be able to get it insured/tracked for cheaper? I'm thinking of going for this..
Poeschel55

Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:52 pm

Cinlabyrinth wrote:
aldo wrote:Yeah First Class has improved a bunch lately. I sent a record to someone in France on Tuesday and it got there Friday :shock:

Can you do tubes through eBay/PP that weigh 2-3 lbs? I always thought the paypal thing has some 1 lb weight limit or something....
Has anyone done a 'fake' ebay transaction just to be able to get it insured/tracked for cheaper? I'm thinking of going for this..
cant really do that because eBay will pick up the value of the item and that is all you can insure for. so if did an auction for $1, then insured amount will only be $1.

however you can purchase your postage online and save a certain percentage. and then take that info over to insurepost. this is probably your best bet in saving money and staying safe
aldo
Art Expert

Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:05 am

Cinlabyrinth wrote:

Yes you can do 2-3lbs. You shouldn't try so hard to circumvent custom fees. It's shitty but that's how it works. Also, it's illegal to try to work around it. Your buyer in the Europe or any other country will know that and if you are smart you will not put any sort of low value on a customs form because you are on the hook if something goes wrong. Insurance and tracking is for you the seller and not for the buyer.
Cinlabyrinth
Art Expert

Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:44 am

aldo wrote:
Cinlabyrinth wrote:

Yes you can do 2-3lbs. You shouldn't try so hard to circumvent custom fees. It's shitty but that's how it works. Also, it's illegal to try to work around it. Your buyer in the Europe or any other country will know that and if you are smart you will not put any sort of low value on a customs form because you are on the hook if something goes wrong. Insurance and tracking is for you the seller and not for the buyer.
by a fake ebay transaction I simply meant put a buy it now at $75 if thats what the cost of the total PB was, insure the print at the cost through eBay, and have a tracking through eBay. I didn't mean to make the insurance a low value, i meant it as a way to have insurance easier.
Poeschel55

Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:16 am

Cinlabyrinth wrote:by a fake ebay transaction I simply meant put a buy it now at $75 if thats what the cost of the total PB was, insure the print at the cost through eBay, and have a tracking through eBay. I didn't mean to make the insurance a low value, i meant it as a way to have insurance easier.
understood. but then you are paying ebay 10% on the transaction.

Insurepost.com is probably your absolute best and safest method here. head to PO, ship it, come home and enter receipt info into insurepost (costs is minimal for the insurance)
Cinlabyrinth
Art Expert

Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:32 pm

Poeschel55 wrote:
Cinlabyrinth wrote:by a fake ebay transaction I simply meant put a buy it now at $75 if thats what the cost of the total PB was, insure the print at the cost through eBay, and have a tracking through eBay. I didn't mean to make the insurance a low value, i meant it as a way to have insurance easier.
understood. but then you are paying ebay 10% on the transaction.

Insurepost.com is probably your absolute best and safest method here. head to PO, ship it, come home and enter receipt info into insurepost (costs is minimal for the insurance)
Good point! Thanks.
Celsius
Flipper

Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:34 pm

Just found out. You can't insure using shipcover if you use first class international. So unless an item is cheap or they pay via gift, I wouldn't send via first classs
"Beautiful white wings for you. For the world? Death and destruction." - Spoiler Character (Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean)

https://plushart.club
1nkling
Site Admin

Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:42 pm

Celsius wrote:Just found out. You can't insure using shipcover if you use first class international. So unless an item is cheap or they pay via gift, I wouldn't send via first classs
You can with insurepost.com though..
My up to date trades and ISOs.
golobulus
Art Expert

Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:29 pm

I just shipped a tube to Germany using "Priority Mail International Parcels." Shipping was like $33 and this thing is taking forever! According to tracking, it was "received" at my local post office on Oct 15th and last scanned in LA on October 23rd. It's the 28th today and no tracking updates... :hanging: