Shipping international?

Information on shipping, storing and repairing your art, plus your reviews on products for art collecting, making, storing, etc..
Odess
Art Connoisseur

Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:13 am

Hey all, figure there are a bunch of threads on this specific subject, but I was just curious as I have not had to do it in quite some time.

So I need to ship 2 prints to the UK. I do not normally like shipping to the UK, but I will if I have to. And in this case I really do want to.

How much is it generally to ship a Yazoo tube over to to the UK?

Also, when you are claiming value on the item stateside, people generally ask that you claim a low amount. But does that interfere if you have a high amount of insurance on the tube? I'm not sure how to proceed. Like if I'm claiming it's $50 worth of prints in the tube, and then claim $500 in insurance, will that cause an issue? I'm needing a little guidance here. Thanks!
jjbehren
Flipper

Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:19 am

Look it up on USPS. Never mark a package for less than full value. Follow the instructions here: http://forum.expressobeans.com/viewtopi ... =8&t=85994

Also, if you sold on ebay, use shipcover insurance rather than USPS. USPS international insurance is a huge pain.
1nkling
Site Admin

Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:08 am

Can of worms.

If I post from here to you it doesn't matter if the customs value doesn't match the insurance value. The insurance is still valid. Seems however that this isn't the case sending to us.

Lots of us would prefer to get things sent with a low value to prevent huge customs charges. I will usually ask if an item is valued under $100. Although I have risked higher. I usually pay by gift if I'm asking the seller to ship this way though and understand the risk. So far so good. I actually find low value items get through the system quicker with less handling so less risk of damage.

Yazoo tube usually costs $25-30 for International First or $45-50 for Priority. Depends on weight though.

If you are shipping with full value there are some things to mark on the tube that will hopefully get the right customs rate charged or assist with the recipient recovering their money if they have to put a claim in.
My up to date trades and ISOs.
Baker
Art Expert

Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:22 pm

1nkling wrote: I usually pay by gift if I'm asking the seller to ship this way though and understand the risk. So far so good. I actually find low value items get through the system quicker with less handling so less risk of damage.
If I need to ship international I wont mark the tube for any less than the value unless the buyer pays as a gift, and then I will mark the prints as a gift on the tube so they dont have customs charges. Whatever you mark as the value on the tube is the max you can insure for.

So either the buyer will pay full customs fees on the tube fully insured, or they need to gift the money and they just need to understand if the print gets damaged it's not your issue. Thats the way I have always handled it at least.
ironjaiden wrote: "'Weener in June' is completely sold out, thanks for the interest"
Fattyramone
Art Expert

Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:13 pm

1nkling wrote:Can of worms.

If I post from here to you it doesn't matter if the customs value doesn't match the insurance value. The insurance is still valid. Seems however that this isn't the case sending to us.

Lots of us would prefer to get things sent with a low value to prevent huge customs charges. I will usually ask if an item is valued under $100. Although I have risked higher. I usually pay by gift if I'm asking the seller to ship this way though and understand the risk. So far so good. I actually find low value items get through the system quicker with less handling so less risk of damage.

Yazoo tube usually costs $25-30 for International First or $45-50 for Priority. Depends on weight though.

If you are shipping with full value there are some things to mark on the tube that will hopefully get the right customs rate charged or assist with the recipient recovering their money if they have to put a claim in.
This...

Cant wait to see the reversal of understanding if ever the USA customs get tough on what gets allowed into the country without getting hit by tax in the way the rest of world seems to get hit by their customs.

....and they will one day.
wottagunn
Art Expert

Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:12 pm

I have a question related to international shipping.
Would it be ok/safe to send 4 prints in 1 tube from America to Australia? Use at least a 4" diameter tube and send with insurance/tracking etc.
deancc
Art Expert

Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:42 am

wottagunn wrote:I have a question related to international shipping.
Would it be ok/safe to send 4 prints in 1 tube from America to Australia? Use at least a 4" diameter tube and send with insurance/tracking etc.
Yes, as long as they can pack properly. I've sent some like that and received some, but always from dudes who know what they're doing. Have not had any problems.
Kerrick
Art Connoisseur

Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:50 pm

wottagunn wrote:I have a question related to international shipping.
I think my limit was 5 and they arrived perfectly fine. As long as the shipper knows how to pack, it should arrive pwith no problems.
wottagunn
Art Expert

Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:06 pm

I’ve got another question to do with shipping, and don’t really want to start a new thread for it.

Does anyone have experience using the service Global Express Guaranteed? Is it worth the extra coin?
Delivery is guaranteed within 3 business days from America to Australia, and is handled by FedEx.
In the next month or so I will have an item on its way to me, but it must be shipped flat. Just wondering if I should go with GXG or if Express Int’l will be good enough.
Celsius
Flipper

Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:15 pm

Odess wrote:Hey all, figure there are a bunch of threads on this specific subject, but I was just curious as I have not had to do it in quite some time.

So I need to ship 2 prints to the UK. I do not normally like shipping to the UK, but I will if I have to. And in this case I really do want to.

How much is it generally to ship a Yazoo tube over to to the UK?

Also, when you are claiming value on the item stateside, people generally ask that you claim a low amount. But does that interfere if you have a high amount of insurance on the tube? I'm not sure how to proceed. Like if I'm claiming it's $50 worth of prints in the tube, and then claim $500 in insurance, will that cause an issue? I'm needing a little guidance here. Thanks!

1. Nowadays you can ship to the UK via USPS first class and have it with tracking, so that's a good option if your buyer wishes for cheaper postage but it takes longer and is more susceptible to loss. Loss isn't a problem if you insure it.

2. Because the insurance you'll be using is USPS you can't claim a different customs value from the insured value. This is fraud and if you get caught it's 20 years in prison and a $20,000 fine. The postal worker has the right to detain you on the spot if they see a different value on your customs form.
"Beautiful white wings for you. For the world? Death and destruction." - Spoiler Character (Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean)

https://plushart.club
aldo
Art Expert

Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:40 pm

You can't insure First Class International if it's going via USPS. If it's an eBay auction you can do Shipcover though.

Basically if it's outside of eBay and you are going First Class Int'l you are on the hook. Don't do it if it is a high value print.
Kerrick
Art Connoisseur

Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:14 am

Celsius wrote: 2. Because the insurance you'll be using is USPS you can't claim a different customs value from the insured value. This is fraud and if you get caught it's 20 years in prison and a $20,000 fine. The postal worker has the right to detain you on the spot if they see a different value on your customs form.
Is this also the case with 3rd party services like Shipcover?
aldo
Art Expert

Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:28 pm

AFAIK Shipcover is online only, so the value you put to insure will automatically be placed as the value on the customs form.
1nkling
Site Admin

Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:41 pm

Celsius wrote:1. Nowadays you can ship to the UK via USPS first class and have it with tracking, so that's a good option if your buyer wishes for cheaper postage but it takes longer and is more susceptible to loss. Loss isn't a problem if you insure it.
Actually First Class seems to be quicker than priority lately. Gets handled less and seems to get less attention via customs. Never had a problem with it.
My up to date trades and ISOs.
Kerrick
Art Connoisseur

Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:59 pm

1nkling wrote:
Celsius wrote:1. Nowadays you can ship to the UK via USPS first class and have it with tracking, so that's a good option if your buyer wishes for cheaper postage but it takes longer and is more susceptible to loss. Loss isn't a problem if you insure it.
Actually First Class seems to be quicker than priority lately. Gets handled less and seems to get less attention via customs. Never had a problem with it.
Have to agree. The fact that it offers full tracking now makes first class the best choice most of the time due to its cheaper price.
As for lost packages, thankfully that never happened to me.