How to prevent waves from forming?

Information on shipping, storing and repairing your art, plus your reviews on products for art collecting, making, storing, etc..
bdm105
Art Connoisseur

Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:24 pm

Hey everyone. I've been storing my prints between 2 pieces of acid free foam board. Each one is on kraft paper with a piece of acid free tissue paper on top to protect the ink. the pieces of foam board are clipped together and stored in the bag i got with the purchase of the board. It's then stored upright out of light, inside.

I've noticed that some of my posters have gotten some waviness on the edges. It's nothing insanely serious because i'd imagine that it would frame out especially if the poster is matted. I just would like to prevent it if i can.

any advice?

thanks for all the help as always
ErocAfellar
Art Expert

Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:45 pm

Kraft paper is not acid free, so I would swap that out with glassine or your tissue paper.

I use foam core for storing some of my prints but have not experienced this issue. Waviness can also be due to changes in climate, temp, humidity or the nature of the print itself (ink on paper can contract). Older Stouts I believe are known to have this issue.

It doesn't sound like your storage method is to blame, but I'm no expert.
HappaHaoli wrote:That is freaking Eroctic!
bdm105
Art Connoisseur

Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:03 pm

ErocAfellar wrote:Kraft paper is not acid free, so I would swap that out with glassine or your tissue paper.

I use foam core for storing some of my prints but have not experienced this issue. Waviness can also be due to changes in climate, temp, humidity or the nature of the print itself (ink on paper can contract). Older Stouts I believe are known to have this issue.

It doesn't sound like your storage method is to blame, but I'm no expert.

i'm in fl so maybe its humidity but thats the only thing i can think of as well. at least its not anything else
jamesgunter
Art Expert

Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:28 pm

some prints just waive over time, depending on the paper, heavy inks, etc
treweman
Art Expert

Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:37 pm

Buy a dehumidifier ... Problem solved.
turne289
Art Connoisseur

Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:21 pm

treweman wrote:Buy a dehumidifier ... Problem solved.
probably your best bet. or find some desiccant packs and put them in the bag if you can't get a hold of a dehumidifier
IWish
Art Expert

Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:13 pm

ErocAfellar wrote: humidity or the nature of the print itself (ink on paper can contract).

I kept my Kelly/Django (reg) in a off-the-shelf frame for the longest time. Left it out of the frame, recently, and due to monsoon/humidity that sucker will not go back into that frame. Big time paper expansion w/this one...not sure what paper was used.
jamesgunter wrote:some prints just waive over time, depending on the paper, heavy inks, etc
Yep. Especially, if inks are mainly in the center of the print with no inks around the edges. Seems to make the non-inked areas wave a bit.
turne289 wrote:
treweman wrote: or find some desiccant packs and put them in the bag if you can't get a hold of a dehumidifier
I save these packets whenever I can. These are great to have on-hand. Accidental spills getting mobile device wet...throw it in a ziplock baggie w/a bunch of desiccant packets sometimes will save the device.
Deadareus
Art Expert

Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:19 pm

Hey guys,

Bumping this thread for a new question...

Is it ok to store/hang my prints in a room wth a dehumidifier? Seems like it would be messing with the paper and perhaps drawing too much moisture out of the print?

My biggest issue right now is hanging posters in temporary frames. I hate to do it but I just can't custom frame everything right now. Most of the temp frames are in the basement and my wife insists we run the dehumidifier.

I've some waves forming on some posters, but I suspect that is due to a tight fit more than anything.