McGraw's Flat File Flip

Information on shipping, storing and repairing your art, plus your reviews on products for art collecting, making, storing, etc..
mcgraw23
Art Expert

Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:23 pm

Well I've been putting off finishing my file for a while so I decided to crack down this week and get to business. Bought this bad boy a few weeks back on Craigslist for $75..
I'm pretty impatient so I used paint remover to get a lot of it off prior to sanding.. which was a much cooler process than I anticipated. Seconds after contact, the paint began to bubble and looked like a bad special effect from any Starship Troopers movie :D
After removing a majority of the paint with the solvent, I sanded off the rest the old fashioned way.
While I was contemplating which color scheme to use (which took a lot longer than I expected), I built a frame for the base. This particular file has a support piece running across it on the bottom side so I couldn't use a regular frame base like I'd anticipated. I ended up building raised grooves that sit 1/8" inside the frame so it won't wiggle after the file is placed onto the base. It's also about 1.5" smaller on each side than the file so you won't see the base or wheels when you're standing over it.
While building the base, I decided on a color scheme so went to Home Depot to get the paint and that process will begin tomorrow morning. I feel like the cabinet's sanded pretty well so I'm going to use a primer/paint combo and throw a couple coats on it..

More updates to come tomorrow hopefully!
A Lannister always pays his debts.
jvanduck
Art Connoisseur

Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:28 pm

Awesome. Subscribed. Will be fun to see this come together.
:pint:
dasponyboy
Art Expert

Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:28 pm

Nice, can't wait to see how it turns out! Good call on the paint remover too.
DonPiano
Art Expert

Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:21 am

Nicely done. I might have to do the same with the paint remover for mine.
The Curb

Friends and Like-Minded Souls of webuyyourkids Facebook Group

Hotdogs are not sandwiches.

Friends & Family don't let Friends & Family send money via Friends & Family.
evilpresence
Art Expert

Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:39 am

Paint stripper is awesome stuff.
poopsicle
Art Expert

Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:05 am

Well done. One these days when I have the space I'll get down to business refurbishing mine.
You can't spread peanut butter on a porpoise.
mcgraw23
Art Expert

Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:14 pm

jvanduck wrote:Awesome. Subscribed. Will be fun to see this come together.
:pint:
DonPiano wrote:Nicely done. I might have to do the same with the paint remover for mine.
dasponyboy wrote:Nice, can't wait to see how it turns out! Good call on the paint remover too.
poopsicle wrote:Well done. One these days when I have the space I'll get down to business refurbishing mine.
Thanks everyone. :pint:

First coat of paint is drying now and I'm currently trying to figure out what type of wood/trim I want to use for the top.. My original idea was to put a tempered glass top on it to view the prints in the first drawer but I'm going to save that for the wooden file I plan to build in the coming months. Should have an update later tonight!
gambit
Art Enthusiast

Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:17 pm

Looking good there mcgraw.
so take a card...ANY CARD!"
lilorphanFunkhouser
Art Expert

Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:28 pm

really want to see the finished product. congrats on the score.
アキラImage
"Gkohler"-it only takes 1 idiot to throw that much cash at something for it to instantly be "worth" that much.
"Celsius"- Welcome to Expressobeans, bitch.
jrsheppa
Art Expert

Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:40 pm

Really wish I had room for a flatfile. Looks like a fun project.

Question with the glass top idea: it seems like people talk about using these as coffee tables / table tops. Is there no concern over spilled liquid getting down to the prints?
mcgraw23
Art Expert

Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:57 pm

jrsheppa wrote:Really wish I had room for a flatfile. Looks like a fun project.

Question with the glass top idea: it seems like people talk about using these as coffee tables / table tops. Is there no concern over spilled liquid getting down to the prints?
That was an initial concern of mine but if you get the glass cut well enough to get within 1/8" of the rabbit grooves, you can use a sealant to fill in the gap so as long as you wipe up a spill ASAP, you shouldn't have any problems.
wottagunn
Art Expert

Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:59 pm

Nice work. Excited to see the progress!
DonPiano
Art Expert

Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:08 am

mcgraw23 wrote:
jrsheppa wrote:Really wish I had room for a flatfile. Looks like a fun project.

That was an initial concern of mine but if you get the glass cut well enough to get within 1/8" of the rabbit grooves, you can use a sealant to fill in the gap so as long as you wipe up a spill ASAP, you shouldn't have any problems.
Yeah, I was thinking of cutting the metal on the top of the print to put a glass top over it to show the top print, but I'm now thinking that may be a little too difficult as I'd be worried about the top sagging in on itself, or even not getting the metal cut properly. So, instead I might just put a glass top on it with some felt to separate the glass from the metal. Maybe stick a nice looking cheap print under it to have something to look at.
The Curb

Friends and Like-Minded Souls of webuyyourkids Facebook Group

Hotdogs are not sandwiches.

Friends & Family don't let Friends & Family send money via Friends & Family.
Lukexxxi
Art Connoisseur

Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:38 am

Ive been putting off doing mine because of the sanding. Paint remover might just be the go.

Look forward to updates
mcgraw23
Art Expert

Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:17 pm

Sorry for the lack of updates - been a busy week. I'm about 95% done.. one more coat of paint until it's finished...

Pics to come tonight!