McGraw's Flat File Flip

Information on shipping, storing and repairing your art, plus your reviews on products for art collecting, making, storing, etc..
iambillyg
Art Freak

Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:52 am

kansasbbq wrote:
iambillyg wrote:
mcgraw23 wrote:Also, Billy, I think that blue file might be my favorite of the ones I've seen you refinish! It's an absolute beauty :drool:
Thank you, sir. Girlfriend chose the color.
She chose wisely.
Yep. I was wanting to go with vintage mint. I still do. Sell me a file cheap, McGraw!
theghost206
Art Connoisseur

Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:26 am

So I finally got a used flat file and am excited to finally be moving away from about 6 or 7 foam core sandwiches. It looks very similar to the beige one that McGraw started with on the first page of this thread. I have limited space in my house and really want to utilize the file for a duel purpose. A coffee table seems like an obvious choice and am thinking about how to go about that. Trying to think of other ways to incorporate the flat file in a man cave as well.

Has anyone ever kept the metal top complete and then put glass on top of that? Seems like that would be the most spill proof.

What would the process be to cut the metal top and put glass in? Have it professionally done? Do it yourself?

Thanks.
cchang
Art Connoisseur

Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:20 am

The thing that always worried me with a flat file coffee table is the spill factor. Something gets knocked over and slowly seeps down the side and into one of the drawers. Let's assume you don't initially see it or your kid or even your pet hits it. Then some of your treasures are up in the 'cost' thread. I think you can mitigate it with having some glass on top with some overhang, but mentally I have a tough time using it as a flat file.

Never tackled cutting metal, so I can't say much in that department. Good luck on what you decide to choose. Post pics!
earlgreytoast
Art Expert

Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:33 am

theghost206 wrote:So I finally got a used flat file and am excited to finally be moving away from about 6 or 7 foam core sandwiches. It looks very similar to the beige one that McGraw started with on the first page of this thread. I have limited space in my house and really want to utilize the file for a duel purpose. A coffee table seems like an obvious choice and am thinking about how to go about that. Trying to think of other ways to incorporate the flat file in a man cave as well.

Has anyone ever kept the metal top complete and then put glass on top of that? Seems like that would be the most spill proof.

What would the process be to cut the metal top and put glass in? Have it professionally done? Do it yourself?

Thanks.
God, I remember getting my first FF and moving everything out of foam core sandwiches and into the FF. It was soooooooo satisfying. :lol: Congrats!
Codeblue wrote: I’m sorry for everything.
jjbehren
Flipper

Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:58 am

If you don't want to cut the metal yourself, just get a safeco that doesn't have the metal tab things. The downside, though, is no open top.

Pro tip: If you're going to have your file out in the public space of your house, install a lock. Safeco sells a lock kit for their files. And install the lock BEFORE loading the file, because you have to take the drawers out to do it.