McGraw's DIY Frame Experiment

Information on shipping, storing and repairing your art, plus your reviews on products for art collecting, making, storing, etc..
mcgraw23
Art Expert

Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:23 pm

So I recently filled my garage with a bunch of tools/woodworking equipment from my grandpa's house so I thought to myself: what better way to put it to use than trying to make my own frames! Obviously I'm no pro but I thought I'd chronicle my first frame from start to finish. If you've got constructive criticism that isn't completely belittling, I'd def. appreciate it. Anyway, enough preface..

First print I'm making a frame for is one of my favorites:

I started by grabbing $6 worth of white pine at Home Depot and cutting a 1/2" rabbit groove into it:

I then measured out the size I want and used my chop saw to make the cuts @ a 45' angle for (hopefully) flush joints:
After some trial and error and getting all the joints relatively close, I began joining them. I did a lot of research to try and find a somewha inexpensive but efficient way to join them and settled on using Logan's Studio Joiner (40% off at Hobby Lobby) and wood glue. It seems to make a sturdy enough joint for what I'm looking to accomplish currently.

As you can probably tell, there are some imperfections in the frame so I'm using a wood-putty to hopefully cover up the gap in the one corner, sand over it, then begin the aesthetic process..
I'll have more to post tomorrow. Above is what I got done in about 1.5 hours this afternoon and I'm hoping it'll turn out well. :pint:
A Lannister always pays his debts.
gambit
Art Enthusiast

Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:17 am

Looking good. Hope everything goes well.
so take a card...ANY CARD!"
SenseiMonkeyboy1
Art Expert

Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:29 am

Thanks for postings these man. Been wanting to try this myself and these are a great inspiration!
mcgraw23
Art Expert

Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:27 pm

Happy to! It's been a fun little project so far.. I've got the primer setting right now so I'll get up an update hopefully later tonight.
srdzevon
Art Expert

Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:52 pm

Love to see more EBers building their own frames :clap:

Keep posting pics!!!!
ImageX5 Hodor Image
mcgraw23
Art Expert

Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:57 pm

Thanks for the kind words thus far! :D

So the wood putty worked wonders and gave a great fill-in for the couple gaps in the joints..
The next steps were pretty simple/time consuming.. did 3 coats of primer and 3 coats of paint.. I went with cheaper black paint, which I won't do again. There's a considerable difference with the $4 can vs the $1 can.. at least from what I can tell. *writes down for next frame job*

So tomorrow it's off to the store to get a mat, glass, and foamcore.. I'm still debating how I want to hold it in.. I like the idea of the the points but I haven't decided yet.. I think I'm going with a purplish mat that matches "Drogon's" belly color.

Anyway, more to come.. :pint:
bootstrut
Art Expert

Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:55 am

This is so awesome! I've always wanted to make my own frames like this. Can't wait to see the result :)
srdzevon
Art Expert

Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:09 am

I'll try and make suggestions based solely on my very limited experience building frames. I'm in no way an expert, just a guy that's made several frames and made way more scrap wood.

I found that my miter saw's 45deg locking position is not 45deg. What I did was adjust it and make cuts till it was dead on 45. I still get some slight variation due to play in the saw itself, but my joints are much tighter now. I make all my cuts with the saw set on the same angle and just flip my wood over. I did mark the true 45 position with a sharpie, that way it's easier to find when i do have to change the angle if i need to make a square cut or something.

Also, if you are using stock with a square profile (like you did above), it works well if you cut the top and bottom pieces at the same time. That way they are exactly the same length. If im building say an 8x10, I cut one angle, flip the wood, measure slightly over 7 1/2", make the second cut. Now i have a piece for the top that's just a smidge too long. Flip the rest of the stock over again, place the too long piece on top, line up the cut sides and measure the true 7 1/2". This cuts the extra wood off the already cut piece and cuts the bottom piece exactly the same length. Do the same for the two side pieces. Does that make any sense?
ImageX5 Hodor Image
mcgraw23
Art Expert

Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:19 am

It absolutely does! I actually read through your thread over the weekend and am going to try the "double cut" method with the next one. :D

Luckily, my miter saw has given pretty good joints thus far, I think I got the lengths off by 1/32" or so which explains the gaps. If the double cut doesn't do the trick for evening out the joints, I'll give try messing with the angle.

Thanks for the input! I've seen some of the ones you've done and they look incredible! I love the rough, sanded/stained one you posted most recently.. definitely going to try that on a future print. I think the other Mother of Dragons - Edmiston print would look incredible with that type of finish.. :drool:
mcgraw23
Art Expert

Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:16 pm

Welp, all the pieces are in place! After going back and forth mentally at work for 3 hours, I finally decided on a mat and I couldn't be happier about it:

Now all I've gotta do is sand and repaint the frame because I cannot stand the paint I picked. I'm going to refinish it with a matte black and even out some of the things I missed the first time. I should have it ready by the end of the night and will post the final product on the wall by tomorrow hopefully!

Here's to practice making pretty good :pint: :pint: :pint:
mcgraw23
Art Expert

Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:12 pm

Well I've officially completed it.
I redid the paint and had to make the rabbit deeper because I didn't account for how thick the foamcore would be. I'm pretty happy with it. Looking back I would have redone the size of the frame/mats but for my first frame without any experience or anything, I'm happy with how it turned out. This will be the first of many I'll be doing so I'll update the thread periodically when I try new stuff or pull off something that looks decent!

Next one on the frame queue:
srdzevon
Art Expert

Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:27 pm

Heck yeah! Looks good man! Can't wait for the next one! :clap:
ImageX5 Hodor Image
mcgraw23
Art Expert

Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:41 pm

srdzevon wrote:Heck yeah! Looks good man! Can't wait for the next one! :clap:
Thanks! I'm hoping to get on your level before long 8)
gambit
Art Enthusiast

Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:58 pm

yeahh....im going to need you to put the joker aside..i have one that is a bit more important..stout star wars...gonna need vip treatment here bud!
so take a card...ANY CARD!"
mcgraw23
Art Expert

Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:00 am

gambit wrote:yeahh....im going to need you to put the joker aside..i have one that is a bit more important..stout star wars...gonna need vip treatment here bud!
I'll have my people call your people.