What is the best way to store prints without a flat file?

Information on shipping, storing and repairing your art, plus your reviews on products for art collecting, making, storing, etc..
RambosRemodeler
Art Freak

Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:11 pm

tuxut wrote:Where would you all say is the best place (eg. best cost-quality ratio) for acid-free foamboard?
Got mine from Jerry's for pretty cheap.
choke wrote:I won't give up a flip that I can get myself to someone who is convinced they need it. None of us need any of this fudge. It's art. It's not medicine.
wonkabars7
Art Expert

Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:43 pm

RambosRemodeler wrote:
tuxut wrote:Where would you all say is the best place (eg. best cost-quality ratio) for acid-free foamboard?
Got mine from Jerry's for pretty cheap.
Hobby Lobby with a coupon is pretty dirt cheap.
evilpresence
Art Expert

Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:18 pm

Got mine at Dick Blick.
dasponyboy
Art Expert

Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:28 pm

wonkabars7 wrote:You don't need glassine between the foam core and print, that's overkill.

Biggest key with the foam core is to make sure you get acid free. Then you are good to go, as your prints will be safe there for a very long time, even if you never get to purchasing a flat file.
I don't think it's overkill. I had ink transfer from a print to the foamcore and that's why I started using Glassine. It's worth the 50 cents a sheet IMO.
LeslieVernon
Art Enthusiast

Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:40 pm

Is it necessary to lay the foam core sammiches flat, or is it okay to have them upright leaning against a wall? I've got too many sammiches and they aren't all fitting under the bed. Will gravity have any effect on the print if upright? I've got one print per sammich, as foam-print- glassine-foam.

Edit: like so...

smm24339
Art Connoisseur

Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:10 am

LeslieVernon wrote:Is it necessary to lay the foam core sammiches flat, or is it okay to have them upright leaning against a wall? I've got too many sammiches and they aren't all fitting under the bed. Will gravity have any effect on the print if upright? I've got one print per sammich, as foam-print- glassine-foam.

Not sure if you received an answer....I'm going through a similar process myself. Further, people will have different opinions on storing things vertically (imagine that!).

As a point of reference, I'm basically following this tried-and-true guide. Very concise and easy to follow. I have web links to the products they reference if you need them (Mylar, backings). Hit me up if I can help you out.

Good luck and enjoy.
smm24339
Art Connoisseur

Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:12 am

smm24339 wrote:
LeslieVernon wrote:Is it necessary to lay the foam core sammiches flat, or is it okay to have them upright leaning against a wall? I've got too many sammiches and they aren't all fitting under the bed. Will gravity have any effect on the print if upright? I've got one print per sammich, as foam-print- glassine-foam.

Not sure if you received an answer....I'm going through a similar process myself. Further, people will have different opinions on storing things vertically (imagine that!).

As a point of reference, I'm basically following this tried-and-true guide. Very concise and easy to follow. I have web links to the products they reference if you need them (Mylar, backings). Hit me up if I can help you out.

Good luck and enjoy.

http://expressobeans.com/wiki/index.php ... Your_Print
Count
Art Expert

Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:39 pm

Given that you are using a foamcore sandwich, storing upright should be fine. After all, these prints are meant to be hung vertically against a wall, so I doubt gravity will be much of an issue.
summoner
Art Freak

Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:57 pm

Count wrote:
Given that you are using a foamcore sandwich, storing upright should be fine. After all, these prints are meant to be hung vertically against a wall, so I doubt gravity will be much of an issue.
This, just make sure you use enough clips to keep pressure on whatever is inside to keep it from sliding.
Image Image Image
PLUSH
Art Expert

Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:06 pm

LeslieVernon wrote: I've got one print per sammich, as foam-print- glassine-foam.

You do realize you can do more than one per.
ArchibaldTuttle
Art Expert

Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:21 pm

Any recommendations on cheap glassine?
smm24339
Art Connoisseur

Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:45 am

ArchibaldTuttle wrote:Any recommendations on cheap glassine?
I'm not sure if there is cheap vs expensive glassine(?) necessarily.

That being said, this is a reliable website and the roll will last you for awhile.

If you don't need this much, you can also buy individual sheets from a local art supply store or somewhere else.

Hope that helps.

https://www.bagsunlimited.com/p-5935-gl ... rolls.aspx
zhd
Art Enthusiast

Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:13 am

Struggling to find foam boards big enough being stocked in UK stores
jdomas
Art Enthusiast

Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:06 am

zhd, i've been looking for some also. http://www.artdiscount.co.uk/white-foam-board-10mm.html seems to be a pretty decent price for what you're getting, @ £5.20 per 30x40" sheet of 10mm (some sites sell it for twice that much).
rockbridge
Art Expert

Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:23 am

PLUSH wrote:
LeslieVernon wrote: I've got one print per sammich, as foam-print- glassine-foam.

You do realize you can do more than one per.
^^^^^ This.....If storage is tight, just use less foam sandwiches, but make sure to interleave glassine between the prints in your sandwich. I did this for a period with bigger items that wouldn't fit in my 24x36 flat files until I sourced larger files.