iambillyg's Flat File Refurbish Thread

Information on shipping, storing and repairing your art, plus your reviews on products for art collecting, making, storing, etc..
Parzival
Art Connoisseur

Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:26 pm

So much inspiration from this thread. Can't wait to see the final product, in deep red hopefully! Great work Billy.
mcgraw23
Art Expert

Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:44 pm

iambillyg wrote: The oak file:
- I picked it up from local EBer keefdotorg.
- It also had no top, and was just a veneer file.
- I reached out to rockbridge again, to see if he could build a top that would allow for a glass in lay.
- Before dropping it off, I sanded the entire file down.
- rockbridge built the top and legs and then dropped it off.
- I chose a cherry stain at first, then decided I didn't care for it. Sanded the whole thing down again.
- I then chose a java stain, decided I hated it. Sanded it down.
- Finally settled on an espresso stain. -- This was the only stain that was an actual stain and not a stain/poly mix. For refurbishing large pieces of furniture, I'd stay away from those. Or just don't try to use them in Texas heat during the summer.
- I then reached out to a local company for a sheet of tempered glass.
- Went to LOWES and decided on hardware.
- And done.

So, yeah. No real carpentry skills, other than sanding and staining? But anyone can do that.
If you don't mind my asking, which local company did you use for the tempered glass? I'm in the middle of planning my file refurb and def. want to go the glass top route as well as find someone to start working with for this and some other projects. Love all the work you've shown/contributions you've made on these threads!

Thanks man.
A Lannister always pays his debts.
iambillyg
Art Freak

Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:45 pm

I used Floyds. They're in Taylor, so it's a bit of a drive, but very affordable and great service.
mcgraw23
Art Expert

Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:35 pm

Cool, thanks! I'll have to give them a shout once I get the top finished and ready for the glass piece.
A Lannister always pays his debts.
iambillyg
Art Freak

Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:55 am

mcgraw23 wrote:Cool, thanks! I'll have to give them a shout once I get the top finished and ready for the glass piece.
Awesome.

Also everyone, sorry for the lack of updates in here. I should be dropping 3 files off this weekend, if I can. Then I'll be posting progress on another oak as well.
time
Art Expert

Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:17 pm

iambillyg wrote:
mcgraw23 wrote:Cool, thanks! I'll have to give them a shout once I get the top finished and ready for the glass piece.
Awesome.

Also everyone, sorry for the lack of updates in here. I should be dropping 3 files off this weekend, if I can. Then I'll be posting progress on another oak as well.
This thread is definitely a continuing inspiration. How do we coax you (and your woodworking pals) to come to California for the Summer to do a project here?! (And anyone reading this thread who is in LA or knows of someone in LA who can fix up my wood flat file like Billy's, please send a PM.)
iambillyg
Art Freak

Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:05 pm

Things are happening..

Getting down to the wire on the oak one, but should have some progress to post soon. Super grateful for all of the help I've received with these files.
sigma722
Art Connoisseur

Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:20 pm

Hey Billy,

How much did the piece of tempered glass run you? What size did the glass end up being?
ImageImage
iambillyg
Art Freak

Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:17 pm

sigma722 wrote:Hey Billy,

How much did the piece of tempered glass run you? What size did the glass end up being?
It was like, $70-75 dollars. Not sure of the exact size. I'll measure it when I get home.

Also, as an update to the thread, I just ordered $377 worth of paint..
iambillyg
Art Freak

Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:22 pm

Hit a few delays with paint, but that should be happening this weekend. Should have images of three files to provide soon.

Along with those three files, I'm also in the process of doing another oak refurb. Someone took me up on my offer a bit ago and needed the file done in August.

Staining should occur on Sunday.
natepachl
Art Expert

Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:42 pm

Looks great man!
I wouldn't deal with JakeStanley / eBay user fratdaddyjake
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:52 pm

natepachl wrote:Looks great man!
markreep

Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:50 am

That oak looks outstanding. Are the sides plywood or glued up wood? & dang. I want that shop.
summoner
Art Freak

Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:58 am

iambillyg wrote: Image
Lookin good Billy! Was it the customers preference to round the corners of the top as much as they are?
Image Image Image
iambillyg
Art Freak

Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:22 pm

markreep wrote:That oak looks outstanding. Are the sides plywood or glued up wood? & dang. I want that shop.
I'm not 100% sure. When I picked it up, it was described as an oak file. Not sure what Mayline used.
summoner wrote:
iambillyg wrote: Image
Lookin good Billy! Was it the customers preference to round the corners of the top as much as they are?
Thanks. The rounded corners are what I had on my oak file so that's what was provided here. The listing was, essentially, the same file as mine. The only difference (so far) has been the choice of stain.

Some progress.