iambillyg's Flat File Refurbish Thread

Information on shipping, storing and repairing your art, plus your reviews on products for art collecting, making, storing, etc..
summoner
Art Freak

Sun May 19, 2013 2:15 pm

iambillyg wrote:From the paint.
I still think it would be cool to go over that with a wire brush drill wheel to give it texture and then satin clear over that. It would have a serious industrial look, but think it would make it a statement piece if it was being used as a coffee table.

It would have to be in the right home of couse....
Image Image Image
iambillyg
Art Freak

Sun May 19, 2013 2:21 pm

I think that would look really great as well, but it'd definitely need to be in the right room. You'd have to have the correct decor to pull it off. It'd be insanely unique and quite the talking point.

The person who picked it up from me was originally wanting it to be painted an off-white color, but they just messaged saying they're now thinking of a deep red. Definitely excited about that change. Paint should happen next week.
summoner
Art Freak

Sun May 19, 2013 2:22 pm

iambillyg wrote:I think that would look really great as well, but it'd definitely need to be in the right room. You'd have to have the correct decor to pull it off. It'd be insanely unique and quite the talking point.

The person who picked it up from me was originally wanting it to be painted an off-white color, but they just messaged saying they're now thinking of a deep red. Definitely excited about that change. Paint should happen next week.
MEATAL FLAKE!!! :drool:
Image Image Image
InkBleed
Art Connoisseur

Sun May 19, 2013 3:09 pm

Thanks for the info! The ebony stain I'm using is actually taking well, just took a lot of coats to achieve the color I was after. I'm going to post some process photos in the coming week and my file definitely has an industrial feel to it. The base and drawers are ebony and I've used polished copper cup pulls for the drawer hardware. I've lined each drawer with a textured copper sheet and placed a 1/8" piece of acrylic over the sheets as to protect the prints from being in direct contact with the copper and to prevent the texture of the copper from being imprinted on a print. The top won't be finished for a month because it is being fabricated in Mexico and has to be shipped. The top is polished copper as well with riveting. Below is photo of what the top will somewhat look like:

I'd like to put the base on casters; however, I haven't found a set I like yet. I've been looking into copper plating a set of cast iron casters, but have yet to find a place to do it. If I cant get that down I'll probably just go with all black cast iron casters. When its all said and done the project will cost about $1400, not bad I think for flat file that is also a piece of art. Like I said I'll post process pics soon.
iambillyg
Art Freak

Mon May 20, 2013 9:19 am

Some more progress pics from yesterday.

Finally got the whole unit sanded down. I did not sand down the bottoms/tops of the insides of each drawer, as there didn't seem to be a point. The current paint on those will be painted over anyway. The sanding of the shell and front faces was to help remove rust.

My buddy, who is picking this one up from me, hasn't decided on a paint color yet. Originally, it was to be an off-white, but now he's considering a deep red. Because of off-white being the original choice, I didn't remove the label holds, due to black holes being left, which would really show if it was painted white.

Took a little time to try to clean up the handles.

Before:

After:

Still not super clean, but an improvement. I think they'll end up being replaced anyway.

CHROME!

- - -

Next week, we'll paint, and that's that. Then, I'll start on my 7-drawer.

I also got a buyer on the custom oak flat file, so I'll need to start that one soon as well.
evilpresence
Art Expert

Mon May 20, 2013 9:52 am

Do you have a rivet clamp? You could you take the label holders off, sand it and paint it. If the label holder is needed in the future, rivet it back on.
iambillyg
Art Freak

Mon May 20, 2013 10:00 am

I don't. But they're pretty cheap.

Not sure if it'd be cheaper though, to just buy 5 new label holds.
HLB98
Art Connoisseur

Tue May 21, 2013 9:00 am

Have been following this topic [in awe] to get inspiration for a possible future refurbish project [awesome stuff btw]

Today I was at the workshop where they construct all the sets [wood, metal,acrylics etc] for the theater I work in and see a couple of flatfiles [46.8 x 33.1 inch] stacked on top of eachother.
They all have the same name name attached to them so I ask the guy in question "Are you gonna use all of them flatiles?"
He says "No I only need a few so if you need one let me know and you can have one for free"
I say "Wow sure I'll take one please"
Now comes the good part........ He says "Let me know wich colour you want it painted in" :shock:
btw They'll do the whole works, sanding, painting and a protective coat on top.

After seeing the pictures in this topic I'm tempted to discuss if it's possible to get an open top with glass, the have all the tools and experience.
Last edited by HLB98 on Tue May 21, 2013 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
iambillyg
Art Freak

Tue May 21, 2013 9:05 am

Congrats!
iambillyg
Art Freak

Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:45 am

Should be painting this weekend. Three files will be transformed. Then I get to start on another oak file.
questkid32
Art Expert

Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:01 am

postulio wrote:That oak one is beautiful. Great stain job. I am in love with it....

I wish I could get one :drool: :drool: :drool:
questkid32
Art Expert

Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:17 am

I would love to buy an old flat file and clean it up like you're doing. Unfortunately, I live in Manhattan, so it would be tough to try to do, since I don't have a garage or back yard to work on it. I don't imagine this is something you can do in an apartment living room...
iambillyg
Art Freak

Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:28 pm

questkid32 wrote:I would love to buy an old flat file and clean it up like you're doing. Unfortunately, I live in Manhattan, so it would be tough to try to do, since I don't have a garage or back yard to work on it. I don't imagine this is something you can do in an apartment living room...
The work I do is definitely not done in my apartment.

Luckily, my parents live about 25 minutes away and allow for me to store files in their garage and do the work there.
tehhippy
Art Expert

Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:39 pm

iambillyg wrote:Should be painting this weekend. Three files will be transformed. Then I get to start on another oak file.
Can't wait for the pics. :drool:
mcgraw23
Art Expert

Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:53 am

I got some inspiration from Billy and cleared out my garage this weekend and am going to attempt a flat file refurb in the coming weeks. In the procurement process of one and may even attempt to build my own wooden one to use as a coffee table.. Luckily there's some great tips on these threads so hopefully it won't be as daunting as I initially thought! :D
A Lannister always pays his debts.