iambillyg's Flat File Refurbish Thread

Information on shipping, storing and repairing your art, plus your reviews on products for art collecting, making, storing, etc..
iambillyg
Art Freak

Wed May 08, 2013 7:42 pm

logan080502 wrote: I have a very similar flat file fine is three 5 drawer files. The top one like yours can have the top taken off check if there are two small latches sitting flush underneath against the top you just slide them over and the top comes off.
I appreciate the tip. Something changed today, and I won't be putting work into this file. I'll update the thread when I receive it's replacement :)
iambillyg
Art Freak

Sat May 11, 2013 3:40 pm

Latest Project has been swtiched to this:

Massive thanks to tehhippy for being willing to help me secure it.
adamrworsell
Art Expert

Sat May 11, 2013 3:43 pm

That is a real cutie
tehhippy
Art Expert

Sat May 11, 2013 3:46 pm

iambillyg wrote:Latest Project has been swtiched to this:

Massive thanks to tehhippy for being willing to help me secure it.
:pint: Anytime.
summoner
Art Freak

Sat May 11, 2013 3:53 pm

Yousonofabitch...

That flat file is :drool: Do you even have to do anything to it?
Image Image Image
adamrworsell
Art Expert

Sat May 11, 2013 3:55 pm

Billy's sooo money he doesn't even collect prints anymore. He collects flat files.
iambillyg
Art Freak

Mon May 13, 2013 8:43 am

summoner wrote:Yousonofabitch...

That flat file is :drool: Do you even have to do anything to it?
Not really. There are a few scratches that I'd like not to be there, but otherwise, it's pretty mint. Sort of dumb, but I kind of want to sand it down and do it gloss red or satin silver. I'll have to wait until I see it in person to make that decision.

Also, while the project has shifted to the 7-drawer file, I have a buddy who picked up the original project from me. I'm going to be helping him sand and paint it, so I decided to go ahead and get started this weekend.

- - -

The person who owned this prior to me had used it as some type of filing cabinet for smaller papers and documents, rather than using an actual filing cabinet. Due to this, he put in some plastic dividers inside each drawer and held them in with duct tape. Duct tape SUCKS. Ugh. Seriously, the worst.

I used a hair-dryer to pull off the top layer and the grid layer of the duct tape pieces, then I sprayed it with Goo Gone and let that sit. This was the result:

After that, I did a bit of sanding on the top, and one of the drawers just to see how difficult it would be. The first metal flat file I picked up a couple of years ago, I didn't actually sand down, as there wasn't a point. I was surprised to see the milky tan color fade away to reveal chrome.

summoner
Art Freak

Mon May 13, 2013 8:51 am

That would look really cool leaving it just sanded metal and shooting a satin clear over to protect the metal.
Image Image Image
iambillyg
Art Freak

Mon May 13, 2013 9:00 am

summoner wrote:That would look really cool leaving it just sanded metal and shooting a satin clear over to protect the metal.
Yeah. It'd look too 'industrial' though. The guy wants it in a off-white/cream color, as it will look more like furniture.
evilpresence
Art Expert

Tue May 14, 2013 9:45 am

How many layers of clear coat are you putting on the metal cabinets?
iambillyg
Art Freak

Tue May 14, 2013 10:22 am

evilpresence wrote:How many layers of clear coat are you putting on the metal cabinets?
Not too sure yet. I'm still figuring all of that out. My recent pick up is still in Dallas. I won't be getting it for a week, maybe two. Gives me a bit of time to figure out what color I want, etc.
InkBleed
Art Connoisseur

Tue May 14, 2013 3:39 pm

I have a mayline oak 5 drawer that I was able to get for free. Its in great condition and I am testing one drawer to determine what stain I want to use. I'm trying to go dark as possible and I am using a minwax ebony right now but it doesn't seem like it is going to be dark enough. I was wondering if you used a gel stain or what brand in general? I like the look or yours but I'd prefer a bit darker and less of the red tones in it.
iambillyg
Art Freak

Sun May 19, 2013 2:05 pm

InkBleed wrote:I have a mayline oak 5 drawer that I was able to get for free. Its in great condition and I am testing one drawer to determine what stain I want to use. I'm trying to go dark as possible and I am using a minwax ebony right now but it doesn't seem like it is going to be dark enough. I was wondering if you used a gel stain or what brand in general? I like the look or yours but I'd prefer a bit darker and less of the red tones in it.
I used a gel stain. The exact kind is: General Finishes. Color: Java. Once stained, I then sealed it with Arm-R-Seal, Oil & Urethane Topcoat (Semi-Gloss). Same brand; General Finishes.

The photo I posted, I used a filter on it. It made it seem as though there are red tones to it, but there aren't. It's a rich dark brown.

- - -

Dat progress.
summoner
Art Freak

Sun May 19, 2013 2:07 pm

Is all that from just the paint, or are you using come body filler and sanding it down on it?
Image Image Image
iambillyg
Art Freak

Sun May 19, 2013 2:08 pm

From the paint.