Foamcore Sandwich Making Prints Wavy?

Information on shipping, storing and repairing your art, plus your reviews on products for art collecting, making, storing, etc..
Kramerica
Art Freak

Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:06 pm

I have used the foamcore sandwich method for flattening prints for a while now and never had any issues. I recently acquired Jay Ryan's 2001 print and have it stored in my foamcore sandwich as it is too big to fit in my portfolio or the sleeves I have. I noticed today when I was doing some organizing that the top and bottom edges have slight waves in them that were not there before.

Could this be caused by the way I have them in the foamcore? I weigh it down with books and clip the edges with binder clips. All of the other prints in the sandwich are fine, though they are all 24x36 and in their own sleeves. The Ryan print is just buffered with acid free tissue. If anyone has any advice I would greatly appreciate it.

Cheers, EB. :pint:
When I'm done ranting about elite power that rules the planet under a totalitarian government that uses the media to keep people stupid, my throat gets parched. That's why I drink Orange Drink. - BH
summoner
Art Freak

Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:23 pm

I would think it would be environmental more than anything
Image Image Image
Ken
Art Expert

Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:28 pm

Could be a humidity or heat issue.. Paper gets wavy, sometimes even when archivally stored or framed, but oftentimes can be ironed out (scary) or restored easily!
postulio
Art Connoisseur

Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:07 pm

Kramerica wrote:I have used the foamcore sandwich method for flattening prints for a while now and never had any issues. I recently acquired Jay Ryan's 2001 print and have it stored in my foamcore sandwich as it is too big to fit in my portfolio or the sleeves I have. I noticed today when I was doing some organizing that the top and bottom edges have slight waves in them that were not there before.

Could this be caused by the way I have them in the foamcore? I weigh it down with books and clip the edges with binder clips. All of the other prints in the sandwich are fine, though they are all 24x36 and in their own sleeves. The Ryan print is just buffered with acid free tissue. If anyone has any advice I would greatly appreciate it.

Cheers, EB. :pint:
I store a bunch of prints in a portfolio with foam boards inside (no sleeves). I havent noticed any waving personally but its been a while since I opened it up (its full). This has me worried too now. Let us know what you end up doing.

I have to agree that waving is usually from environmental effects though, like humidity.
Simulacrum7
Art Connoisseur

Fri May 03, 2013 11:06 am

I've never had a problem with the "foam core sandwich" method. It could also be the print/paper/ink -- I'm not familiar with the print in question to really know.