Mylar Sleeve and Itoya Question

Information on shipping, storing and repairing your art, plus your reviews on products for art collecting, making, storing, etc..
FroDawg
Art Expert

Sat May 18, 2013 2:15 pm

http://www.bagsunlimited.com/c-85-poly-sleeves.asp

Where I buy all my storage supplies. Acid free backing boards and poly bags
"If the thunder don't getcha then the lightnin' will."
summoner
Art Freak

Sat May 18, 2013 2:26 pm

The Itoya portfolios can be a bit tight depending in the cut of the print. A perfect 18x24 will fit well, but if they are over that it can be a struggle.

I am religious about getting a print into a plastic sleeve as soon as it is safe enough to do so. I usually flatten for a day or two before attempting getting them in a sleeve. I picked up some 18x24 sleeves from Hobby Lobby, I think they were 25 for $17, and 100 24x36 sleeves from frame destination (iambillyg and I actually split the order) and could not be happier with the quality of them.

If you don't have a flat file, there are some archival boxes that you can pick up for a decent price that will easily slide under a bed to get them out of the way. You could easily put 30 or more prints in them.
Image Image Image
essential
Art Connoisseur

Sat May 18, 2013 5:11 pm

ffactoryxx wrote:1. So for the 24x36 prints, would these due?
I know they are made a little bigger than the print. Will the print slide around in there or do I need to put in some sort of foam core back?
http://www.framedestination.com/bags/pr ... em/BGPRBA/
I ordered almost all the stuff I have from Frame Destination. I have several 18x24's and 24x36's in clearbags with foamcore behind them. It fits well, but you can't go a size higher or anything on the foamcore. It's not needed, but does fit, I did it because I wanted some rigidity.

I also didn't want to spend a ton on Mylar, the solution I have has worked well so far, it only adds about $5 per print for storage, on average.
i flip therefore i am
willg
Art Expert

Sat May 18, 2013 5:26 pm

FroDawg wrote:http://www.bagsunlimited.com/c-85-poly-sleeves.asp

I agree with Yamar on the bag thickness. I've been buying the poly bags from BU for a few years and stick with the 4 mil bags.
FroDawg
Art Expert

Mon May 20, 2013 11:08 am

willg wrote:
FroDawg wrote:http://www.bagsunlimited.com/c-85-poly-sleeves.asp

I agree with Yamar on the bag thickness. I've been buying the poly bags from BU for a few years and stick with the 4 mil bags.
completely agree Will. I was only using the link as a pointer--sorry if it confused anyone. Unfortunately the 4mil are not available in every size, so I have settled for 2mil for those sizes.
"If the thunder don't getcha then the lightnin' will."
ChefFerrari
Art Expert

Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:04 pm

Looking for Itoya style portfolios 18 x 24 and 24 x 36 that actually have a zipper closure or someway of closing them and if possible waterproof

Anyone know of any like this ?
willg
Art Expert

Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:32 pm

Someone needs to invent some vacuum sleeves, similar to those ziplock freezer bags.
nsd
Art Expert

Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:55 pm

Can't find 24x36 bags on Jerry's anymore. Thoughts? Don't need 100, but need more than 10.
Can be an online release PB when I am not trying to get the piece if I am available. Just ask.
#1 ISO's: (Stout - Signed "Reservoir Dogs", Taylor - "Drive" & Mitchell - Signed "Driver" Portrait)