Directly from tube to sandwich... should I worry?

Information on shipping, storing and repairing your art, plus your reviews on products for art collecting, making, storing, etc..
j3r3m3

Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:00 pm

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I have few prints that are roughly 2 years old that have lived in their shipping tubes the entire time. I wanted to get them flat for framing/storage, so I took them out of the tubes and directly sandwiched and clipped them in between acid free foam-core and glassine paper. Based on techniques I've read, I should have let them "breathe" for a few days before forcing them into the sandwich flat file and now I'm nervous that I may have done some damage. I didn't cause any visible damage while un-rolling them (creases, folds, dings, etc). Will this affect the ink at all? Should I be worried/get them out of there and let them breathe or am I freaking out for no reason?

Thanks!
CrustaR
Art Expert

Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:02 pm

I think you should be okay. It would have been really hard to unroll them, though.
pewter14 wrote:You're not the only one on the hunt for The Thing ... just ... the most obvious ... by a lot.
earlgreytoast
Art Expert

Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:03 pm

If you were able to unroll them and get them in there without damaging them you should be ok. Just maybe flip over the sandwich every few days?
Codeblue wrote: I’m sorry for everything.
Yamar
EB Team Emeritus

Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:04 pm

The breathing period is - in my experiences - just to help make things easier when doing the transfer to flattening stage. A long tubed item can be harder to get unrolled in order to "get it under the press". But if you think you got it down OK, I wouldn't worry too much. Maybe if it's a heavy hand-pulled piece like an older Pollock Phish print but most modern day stuff I wouldn't expect any issues - ink isn't generally that thick...
Tra la la la la...
j3r3m3

Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:15 pm

Thanks for the responses! I'll just give them the time they need now.