Best way of getting multiple prints across the country...

Information on shipping, storing and repairing your art, plus your reviews on products for art collecting, making, storing, etc..
jesterguy
Art Connoisseur

Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:51 pm

Say you were needing to get around 20 prints cross country, what would be the best way of doing that? Just packing 2 prints per tube and end up paying around $150 shipping? Or do I have a better alternative here? I'm moving to California in a couple weeks and I have a modest collection I'd like to bring with me, just trying to figure out what my options are. Also note that I'm bringing next to nothing with me so I've only got a couple suitcases on the plane and a few boxes I'm mailing out with whatever else I need to keep so I don't have a moving company that would pack them in a crate or anything.
rmoore
Art Expert

Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:58 pm

jesterguy wrote:Say you were needing to get around 20 prints cross country, what would be the best way of doing that? Just packing 2 prints per tube and end up paying around $150 shipping? Or do I have a better alternative here? I'm moving to California in a couple weeks and I have a modest collection I'd like to bring with me, just trying to figure out what my options are. Also note that I'm bringing next to nothing with me so I've only got a couple suitcases on the plane and a few boxes I'm mailing out with whatever else I need to keep so I don't have a moving company that would pack them in a crate or anything.
I just shipped 40 18"x24" prints via UPS today for $21. Basically, you just make a print sandwich and tape the ever-loving fudge out of it.

Put the prints in a mylar sleeve, get 2-3 sheets of cardboard that are 3 inches larger than the top and bottom (those go on the top and bottom of your prints — you want it thick so nothing punctures it). Tape the bag of prints securely to the cardboard, then put the other piece on top and proceed to tape all the way around the sandwich, covering every square inch of cardboard with tape. Press down on the edges of the cardboard as you go to seal in the prints. You'll probably use a roll of shipping tape for the whole thing.

I've done this several times with no issues.
SurfingJeff
Art Expert

Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:01 pm

If they're all the same size, shipping flat like rmoore seems like the best choice. If they're of varying sizes, the tube method may be better. If you're using 4" tubes, I think you'd be able to get 4-5 per tube safely. Just use some tissue paper between each set of prints.
T.H.C.
jesterguy
Art Connoisseur

Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:13 pm

rmoore wrote: I just shipped 40 18"x24" prints via UPS today for $21. Basically, you just make a print sandwich and tape the ever-loving fudge out of it.

Put the prints in a mylar sleeve, get 2-3 sheets of cardboard that are 3 inches larger than the top and bottom (those go on the top and bottom of your prints — you want it thick so nothing punctures it). Tape the bag of prints securely to the cardboard, then put the other piece on top and proceed to tape all the way around the sandwich, covering every square inch of cardboard with tape. Press down on the edges of the cardboard as you go to seal in the prints. You'll probably use a roll of shipping tape for the whole thing.

I've done this several times with no issues.
Awesome, I've got access to a ton of cardboard and even more packing tape so I think this would work for me. They're all individually bagged right now though, are you talking a single bag that was filled with all of the prints?
SurfingJeff wrote:If they're all the same size, shipping flat like rmoore seems like the best choice. If they're of varying sizes, the tube method may be better. If you're using 4" tubes, I think you'd be able to get 4-5 per tube safely. Just use some tissue paper between each set of prints.
about half are 18x24 and the other are 36x24. I have a Moss LOTR that is kind of an oddball since it's really narrow and a Mr. Brainwash that is significantly larger than everything. The MBW I'm just going to send out on it's own but I think the Moss would be OK amongst all the others using that sandwich method mentioned above.
rmoore
Art Expert

Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:17 pm

jesterguy wrote:Awesome, I've got access to a ton of cardboard and even more packing tape so I think this would work for me. They're all individually bagged right now though, are you talking a single bag that was filled with all of the prints?
Yeah, keep them in their individual bags, but then put them all in a larger bag. Make sure that bag is taped and sealed tight. Since you only have 20 prints and tons of cardboard, I'd make the cardboard parts of the sandwich 4 or 5 thick so no bending can occur. When it's all said and done, the whole thing should be pretty much bendproof and waterproof.
Givn2wail
Art Connoisseur

Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:17 pm

Tube them, and then box the tubes. I shipped twenty-some prints this way. Five tubes, four prints per tube, and stuffed outer carton with newspaper. I think it cost me about $28.00 (including insurance) to ship from IL to VA.

EDIT: As a precaution, I put the destination address on each tube (just in case the carton came open, and one got separated from the herd).
Last edited by Givn2wail on Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rmoore
Art Expert

Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:19 pm

Givn2wail wrote:Tube them, and then box the tubes. I shipped twenty-some prints this way. Five tubes, four prints per tube, and stuffed outer carton with newspaper. I think it cost me about $28.00 (including insurance) to ship from IL to VA.
That's a really good idea, too!
jesterguy
Art Connoisseur

Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:46 pm

rmoore wrote:
jesterguy wrote:Awesome, I've got access to a ton of cardboard and even more packing tape so I think this would work for me. They're all individually bagged right now though, are you talking a single bag that was filled with all of the prints?
Yeah, keep them in their individual bags, but then put them all in a larger bag. Make sure that bag is taped and sealed tight. Since you only have 20 prints and tons of cardboard, I'd make the cardboard parts of the sandwich 4 or 5 thick so no bending can occur. When it's all said and done, the whole thing should be pretty much bendproof and waterproof.
gotcha, appreciate the input! Hadn't considered something like this since we get a lot of stuff sent to my office "flat" but in just a single flimsy piece of cardboard and the contents are usually a disaster. If I go this route I'll definitely use quite a bit, will be a tank when I'm done with it.
Givn2wail wrote:Tube them, and then box the tubes. I shipped twenty-some prints this way. Five tubes, four prints per tube, and stuffed outer carton with newspaper. I think it cost me about $28.00 (including insurance) to ship from IL to VA.

EDIT: As a precaution, I put the destination address on each tube (just in case the carton came open, and one got separated from the herd).
good idea here as well! I'd have to see if I could get some larger tubes to accommodate more in each, I just have a bunch of the regular sized ones good for 1 or 2 and that would be considerably more large and heavy as it stands right now.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:06 am

You could easily fit 20 prints in a 6" tube, or even a 5" if you're good.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
Badbutch
Art Expert

Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:23 am

Order a box of 6" Yazoos (they come 4 to a pack). Pack each properly with a bunch of posters (I've pushed it as far as 12 but I'm sure you could do more). Put the tubes back in the shipping box with newspapers, bubble wrap and whatever to add extra padding and ship the whole thing to your new address. In addition to getting them to your destination safe you'll have some nice 6" tubes for gallery shows and other live events.
"'Cause I'm a karate man! And a karate man bruises on the inside!" ~ Billy Ray Valentine
Danny4342
Art Expert

Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:13 am

I used 6" tubes for the first time at the Stout/Taylor show - I'm certainly not as experienced as the guys posting above, but I wouldn't try and carry more than 10-12 (max) prints per tube. Packing the box is a must and I'd throw some duct tape around the middle of the box at 3 or 4 points for good measure (as well as top and bottom, obviously).

Putting glassine sheets between the prints is also a must to avoid "chub-rub". Good luck with the move!!
ImageImageImageImageImageImage Image