Storing Prints? Sleeves or Flat Files?

Information on shipping, storing and repairing your art, plus your reviews on products for art collecting, making, storing, etc..
ffactoryxx
Art Connoisseur

Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:08 am

So, I have a bunch of prints coming in and I just don't see myself being able to frame all of them right now. Expensive.

How do you guys store Prints that vary in size from 12x36, 16x24, 24x36, etc?? I looked at Itoya products but the largest prints they will hold are 18x24.

Few Questions.

1. Do you flatten your prints before putting in Folders?
2. If using an Itoya product do I need to insert backboards?
3. How do you store larger files like 24x36? Backboard and sleeve and mounting corners?

Where can I get a bunch of sleeves and backboards cheap?
greenhorn1
Art Expert

Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:17 am

I've got one of the giant eternity boxes that they don't make any more and keep the prints in poly sleeves in there. box is 42 inches long so I haven't had anything that doesn't fit. flat file would be nice but the boxes fit underneath my bed and a large flat file takes up a LOT of space.
ISO Horkey Stacy Lowery Paleo Deck. $$$$$$$ (or trade)
toyroom
Art Expert

Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:29 am

ffactoryxx wrote:So, I have a bunch of prints coming in and I just don't see myself being able to frame all of them right now. Expensive.

How do you guys store Prints that vary in size from 12x36, 16x24, 24x36, etc?? I looked at Itoya products but the largest prints they will hold are 18x24.

Few Questions.

1. Do you flatten your prints before putting in Folders?
I do.
2. If using an Itoya product do I need to insert backboards?
They come with backboards.
3. How do you store larger files like 24x36? Backboard and sleeve and mounting corners?
If you're able to, get a flat file... I use both Itoya and FF's.

Where can I get a bunch of sleeves and backboards cheap?
I use this company they sell sleeves and backboards>>> http://www.clearbags.com/bags/clear-bag ... Qgod3goARw
ffactoryxx
Art Connoisseur

Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:23 pm

Thanks. So i have trouble flattening my prints. I put bean bags on all 4 corners and leave the prints for days. When I take the bags off however the prints curl back up. any suggestions.
Yamar
EB Team Emeritus

Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:39 pm

ffactoryxx wrote:Thanks. So i have trouble flattening my prints. I put bean bags on all 4 corners and leave the prints for days. When I take the bags off however the prints curl back up. any suggestions.
Leave them longer.
Honestly, some prints will flatten out in a few days, some a few weeks, some a few months, and others may never quite get back to "flat" once tubed (at least not without some assistance). Being tubed for a period of time more than a few days is likely going to extend the time it will take to get them flat again.
Tra la la la la...
ffactoryxx
Art Connoisseur

Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:38 pm

Yamar wrote:
ffactoryxx wrote:Thanks. So i have trouble flattening my prints. I put bean bags on all 4 corners and leave the prints for days. When I take the bags off however the prints curl back up. any suggestions.
Leave them longer.
Honestly, some prints will flatten out in a few days, some a few weeks, some a few months, and others may never quite get back to "flat" once tubed (at least not without some assistance). Being tubed for a period of time more than a few days is likely going to extend the time it will take to get them flat again.
Is it ok to take a print direct from the tube to a framer and have him frame or do they need to be flattened first?
questkid32
Art Expert

Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:54 pm

Anyone want to go in on a pack of 100 with me? Or do 4 people want to buy in bulk and get them for $75? This is for the 24x36 with the sealable flaps from the website posted above.
aivc
Art Expert

Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:52 am

questkid32 wrote:Anyone want to go in on a pack of 100 with me? Or do 4 people want to buy in bulk and get them for $75? This is for the 24x36 with the sealable flaps from the website posted above.
http://www.framedestination.com/bags/pr ... em/BGPRBA/

Just ordered a 100 pack here. Already had 10 of them to try out, and they are perfect. They seem to be the exact same size as the ones on ClearBags, exact thing besides the brand I think.

Ps : one pack of a 100 is around 65bucks + shipping (which is less than 10 bucks if i'm not mistaken).
aibohphobia wrote:Maybe, but either way you get some cred for joining on 4-20 at 4:20. Nexus of the Universe.
c0bbz
Art Expert

Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:09 am

ffactoryxx wrote:
Yamar wrote:
Leave them longer.
Is it ok to take a print direct from the tube to a framer and have him frame or do they need to be flattened first?
You can just bring it, at least in my experience, and they'll flatten it for you. Make sure you make the print's value clear, though.
Image ISO FILM NOIR Image
Molokoplus
Art Enthusiast

Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:48 am

Is a cardboard backing a must?
ffactoryxx
Art Connoisseur

Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:23 pm

I have some odd sized prints coming, 9x24 and 12x36.

I can put the 9x24 in an Itoya Portfolio however where can I get 12x36 Foam and do they make a bag that size? Now when you mount a 12x36 print, do you get foam board a litte bigger than the print like 13x37? Also can you link me to mounting corners for such big prints.