Fixing My "Fixes" on a Scuffed Print

Information on shipping, storing and repairing your art, plus your reviews on products for art collecting, making, storing, etc..
omgkitty
Art Expert

Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:20 pm

Alright guys, I've drymounted up. Somehow last weekend, I managed to scuff my Moss Super Mario print, and right as I was about to sell it. I was pulling it out from under another print when I noticed some light scuffing in two spots. I decided to try and fix it and ordered one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002E4Z302/ref ... 1_ST1_dp_1

Well, it finally arrived today and when I used it, it seemed to help the scuffing, but then it did something else. It didn't leave a mark exactly, but now my print has this bright sheen to it when those spots are viewed under light where I rubbed it with the pad. You can see the before and after's below:

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Does anyone have any advice? I honestly feel like the pictures make it look worse than it does in person as it's much brighter in the pictures. I'm honestly not really sure what I should do now :?
omgkitty
Art Expert

Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:25 pm

unomasmoi wrote:I have some advice: don't use that drymountin thing to fix prints :lol:
:?
Superfro33
Art Expert

Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:28 pm

Well your workspace looks tidy...not sure what could've gone wrong. :P

In all seriousness though, from the pics the after looks worse than before. :?
omgkitty
Art Expert

Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:30 pm

Superfro33 wrote:Well your workspace looks tidy...not sure what could've gone wrong. :P

In all seriousness though, from the pics the after looks worse than before. :?
:lol: That's the extra bedroom. I just set it there so it was directly under the light.
omgkitty
Art Expert

Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:33 pm

unomasmoi wrote:What you need is a kneadable eraser, that thing will not do what u want
Yeah, but will the eraser fix what I've already done?
choke
Art Expert

Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:42 pm

unomasmoi wrote:I have some advice: don't use that drymountin thing to fix prints :lol:
:lol:

Sorry kitty. That sucks.
thisisjosh
Art Expert

Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:45 pm

omgkitty wrote:
unomasmoi wrote:What you need is a kneadable eraser, that thing will not do what u want
Yeah, but will the eraser fix what I've already done?
Yes possibly. I think I might make a video for you on how to do this, so that this never has to happen again. I saw someone recommended this document cleaning pad in another thread. Well this is the outcome. Be warned, people.
Last edited by thisisjosh on Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ryanfromindiana
Art Expert

Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:46 pm

What he has will work but it looks like he went after it like the clit commander. I dunno if a kneadable eraser will fix that....I bet poster mountain can though!
I love and treasure individuals as I meet them, I loathe and despise the groups they identify with and belong to.
omgkitty
Art Expert

Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:48 pm

ryanfromindiana wrote:What he has will work but it looks like he went after it like the clit commander. I dunno if a kneadable eraser will fix that....I bet poster mountain can though!
I honestly didn't go at it that hard. I didn't go very fast at all and only rubbed for a few seconds at a time.
Cbjornson
Art Expert

Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:49 pm

omgkitty wrote:
ryanfromindiana wrote:What he has will work but it looks like he went after it like the clit commander. I dunno if a kneadable eraser will fix that....I bet poster mountain can though!
I honestly didn't go at it that hard. I didn't go very fast at all and only rubbed for a few seconds at a time.
maden wrote:Never apologize on the internet.
gonzo303 wrote:This is Gonzos mom
Superfro33
Art Expert

Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:49 pm

omgkitty wrote: I honestly didn't go at it that hard. I didn't go very fast at all and only rubbed for a few seconds at a time.
thisisjosh
Art Expert

Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:52 pm

Rubbing anything against the delicate black paint of a screenprint can only produce this type of result. The eraser might be able to lift some of what was done here, but the scuff you showed in the original pictures might have never been able to get back to normal anyway.
omgkitty
Art Expert

Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:54 pm

thisisjosh wrote:Rubbing anything against the delicate black paint of a screenprint can only produce this type of result. The eraser might be able to lift some of what was done here, but the scuff you showed in the original pictures might have never been able to get back to normal anyway.
evilpresence
Art Expert

Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:59 pm

Kneadable eraser...

http://forum.expressobeans.com/viewtopi ... t#p1693417

Found on amazon...

http://www.amazon.com/Derwent-Kneadable ... ble+eraser

Never tried it but it might help.
listerfeend
Art Expert

Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:59 pm

I feel so bad. :oops: :oops: :oops:

I've used the document cleaning pad mentioned here on 3 different prints (Stout 'Spaced', Moss 'Mononoke', and Stout 'Inglourious Basterds') on pure black ink areas and it's worked like a drymounting charm, never leaving anything like that. I really don't know if I'm just doing it differently or just extremely lucky?!?

EDIT: Post 1000 :shock: