Framing question

Information on shipping, storing and repairing your art, plus your reviews on products for art collecting, making, storing, etc..
lordhelmet
Art Expert

Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:09 pm

So,I really want to start framing some of my prints and don't want to do the buy it off a rack
for 20.00 bucks, but don't want to spend outrageous prices like 300 per frame. Is there some
middle ground that would look custom done,without the price tag.but I would like to do a double
mat..maybe a place you can buy everything like pre-cut mat and and nice frame and backing.. And
kind of do it yourself...I just can't spend these prices for the amount of prints I want to frame..
Any info would be helpful...tips,links...whatever
summoner
Art Freak

Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:10 pm

You can do some very nice framing for reasonable prices on Frame Destination and American Frame.
Image Image Image
alittle
Art Freak

Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:17 pm

I would rather prioritize and do 5 pieces right, than skimp and do 20 pieces.
shoeless
Art Expert

Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:19 pm

Reasonable? Depends on the size of what you're framing and which styles you choose.

But yes, for a basic frame, uv acrylic, single mat, acid free backing....AF or FD will be around $100 for a 18x24
lordhelmet
Art Expert

Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:18 pm

Thanks for the tips I was looking to do more like 24x36 maybe a couple odder sized
ones i feel like I can find cheaper than what quotes I've been getting lately.
So thanks guys
smm24339
Art Connoisseur

Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:33 pm

lordhelmet wrote:Thanks for the tips I was looking to do more like 24x36 maybe a couple odder sized
So thanks guys

Always be on the lookout for the 50% off sales at Michael's. They run sales periodically through the year and they are much more reasonable than the usual $300+ list prices. I've gotten two done there: one 18 x 24 and another 20 x 20. Both turned out great and I get many compliments on them.

There are also some guys on this site that do the work (I believe people ship them maybe?). Good luck. Also I agree w/ the comment above: get a few posters very nicely framed vs several cheap ones. You and everyone that comes into contact with the posters can, and will, tell the difference.
mike123230
Art Expert

Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:36 pm

smm24339 wrote:
lordhelmet wrote:Thanks for the tips I was looking to do more like 24x36 maybe a couple odder sized
So thanks guys

Always be on the lookout for the 50% off sales at Michael's. They run sales periodically through the year and they are much more reasonable than the usual $300+ list prices. I've gotten two done there: one 18 x 24 and another 20 x 20. Both turned out great and I get many compliments on them.

There are also some guys on this site that do the work (I believe people ship them maybe?). Good luck. Also I agree w/ the comment above: get a few posters very nicely framed vs several cheap ones. You and everyone that comes into contact with the posters can, and will, tell the difference.
drymount Michaels. They are the worst.

Also, regarding their "list prices": http://museumframing.com/blog/buyer-bew ... practices/
alittle
Art Freak

Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:39 pm

Michaels is fine if you know who is framing your stuff and how they are doing it. Also, if you blindly agree to a price, just because it is "50% off" you deserve what you get.
mike123230
Art Expert

Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:01 pm

alittle wrote:Michaels is fine if you know who is framing your stuff and how they are doing it. Also, if you blindly agree to a price, just because it is "50% off" you deserve what you get.
I know, right. Heaven forbid you put some trust into a place that purports to be an "art store" with an actual "framing department." I took some things there before I knew any better and they were all like dry mount dry mount dry mount! I, knowing no better, went along.
alittle
Art Freak

Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:07 pm

It is definitely sad, and I certainly believe that there are a lot of bad locations out there. The ideal situation is obviously to find a local independent framer who specializes in archival/conservation framing and build a relationship.
lordhelmet
Art Expert

Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:18 pm

Well,thanks a lot for the info, I've been going to a few places and getting quotes and actually a mom and pop type
framing shop gave me a quote almost 70.00 cheaper for the same,job just the frame was slightly different not sure if
that's what caused the difference.so I'm going with them I've seen what they do by the stuff in their shop,and its really
Nice work.but thanks everyone for the tips..ill post some pics when it's done..1st up Taylor Halloween reg..
And then stout Star Wars :clap:
lordhelmet
Art Expert

Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:31 pm

Took my Taylor Halloween print to the frames put down the deposit will be done in 2 weeks
and I'm really psyched got a great deal by paying cash.will show pics when it's finished.Honestly
It's the cheapest price I've got anywhere so assuming they do a fine job I found a great place to
get my stuff framed at.