Anyone ever unstretch a canvas painting for shipping before?

Information on shipping, storing and repairing your art, plus your reviews on products for art collecting, making, storing, etc..
mlinderer
Art Expert

Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:17 pm

Has anyone ever taken a canvas painting off the stretcher bars in order to roll up and ship before? I purchased a 5' x 3' painting and instead of spending $800 to ship it by freight, they recommended taking it off the frame and rolling the canvas up. The frame shop that the seller was discussing this with said they have done it several times, but I have no first hand experience shipping a painting this way. Has anyone seen this done or have any recommendations?
churdiales
Art Expert

Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:19 pm

yep. unstretch it. roll it and ship it in a yazoo tube, or pvc, or whatever... (tube) has to be custom made since canvas will be larger than the tube. nothing that a chainsaw can't handle. :pint:

no, for real. excluding the chainsaw comment. it is an inexpensive way to ship big pieces of art on canvas.
krisjay wrote:I find this post odd.
mlinderer
Art Expert

Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:23 pm

churdiales wrote:yep. unstretch it. roll it and ship it in a yazoo tube, or pvc, or whatever... (tube) has to be custom made since canvas will be larger than the tube. nothing that a chainsaw can't handle. :pint:

no, for real. excluding the chainsaw comment. it is an inexpensive way to ship big pieces of art on canvas.
What about reassembly?
jamesgunter
Art Expert

Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:27 pm

you can take it to a framer and get it re-stretched. easy and much cheaper than that shipping cost
mlinderer
Art Expert

Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:01 pm

I'm guessing the staples have to come out of the canvas too and then get new ones put it when it gets put together?
Ken
Art Expert

Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:45 am

mlinderer wrote:I'm guessing the staples have to come out of the canvas too and then get new ones put it when it gets put together?
Most definitely, however, is the painting oil or acrylic? If it's oil, may be risky to unstretch and roll, very well could ruin the piece!
yadneb
Art Enthusiast

Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:06 am

Ken wrote:
Most definitely, however, is the painting oil or acrylic? If it's oil, may be risky to unstretch and roll, very well could ruin the piece!
2nd this....it's all about age, temp, that piece will be exposed to....no worries oil/acrylic though if modern artwork ( < 40yrs)