Flat File - The Project 1.0

Information on shipping, storing and repairing your art, plus your reviews on products for art collecting, making, storing, etc..
statik
Art Expert

Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:27 pm

All these different Flat File threads figured I better make my own. I don't want to stop on anyone's toes in theirs. So as some of you know. I recently bought this bad boy.

Few details about the Flat itself that seller typed himself. I won't edit it.

Vintage made by Planhold from 30 years ago, Heavy duty steel with Solid Brass handles and card holder. These are paint a Charcoal Gray and Silver with a Brush Steel look Hammered look. There is some minor dings "mainly to the back and sides" and minor scratches. The Sliders are tight, functioning well slide in and out great These have a great Vintage look to them. Stands 19 inches...Outside measurements is 40 by 28 1/2 inches.. The Flats or Sheet sizes are 37 by 26 inches and the Depth of each drawers 2 inches.

It needs work though! I emailed a company on Etsy who is about 150 miles away from me who refurbishes flat files since I'm having no luck finding anyone closer. I think the main thing I'm going to have trouble with is cutting out a window in the top to install some glass. No clue how to do it, what to use, etc. I'm thinking, tempered?

And other plans for it is pretty basic for the most part. Still deciding on colors, wish I had skills in Photoshop to do some color mock ups to get an idea of what the final would look like. Here's a color graph I sent that company I mentioned. All depending on price I might just handle all the painting myself.

To do list:

1. Glass top installed like one pictured.
2. Repainted. (included photo of general idea to start, I'm sure you have questions, advice, opinions)
3. Wheels installed. The base right now is what looks like a bunch of 2x4's nailed together. Do I even need that base or should I just install wheels to the bottom of the flat itself?
4. New handles
5. Drawers are stiff when pulling out, fix if possible. Take out stupid roll sleeves.

And here's that Etsy company for anyone curious.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/103079218/r ... rue&sent=1
drymount your sig!
predel1
Art Enthusiast

Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:47 pm

^^^ Wait a minute!!! You just took my design from my flat file project ideas that I posted to Facebook and drew on it!!!

You could have at least changed the colors in Photoshop.
statik
Art Expert

Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:58 pm

predel1 wrote:
^^^ Wait you just drew on my flat file project photo I put on FB!!!
Buddy shared the photo with me when discussing custom flat files. I just used it as a reference which should be considered a form of FLATtery.
drymount your sig!
WallyWest78
Art Connoisseur

Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:06 pm

:lol:
GO HABS GO!!!
predel1
Art Enthusiast

Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:20 pm

I am sorry if that came off of as insulted or anything. I was just kidding you know, "Hey that looks familiar, :wink: " Anyways, I look forward to seeing how it turns out. I am excited that so many people are deciding pimp out their flat files now. :clap: