Pimp My Flat File - Mayline to Streamline

Information on shipping, storing and repairing your art, plus your reviews on products for art collecting, making, storing, etc..
snowphun
Art Enthusiast

Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:43 pm

shagdonk wrote:
snowphun wrote:I really like the glass top approach, I think that would make for a great project. I'm struggling to understand which types have a removable top, and looking at pictures on CL doesn't make it any easier. Do most of them have removable tops? Is this primarily to enable better stacking?

Thanks.
The tops aren't removable.
What am I missing here then? mcgraw23's unit has no top, right? I've seen a few for sale like that, but others that look like the tops must be an integral part of the unit.
wottagunn
Art Expert

Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:49 pm

snowphun wrote:
shagdonk wrote:
snowphun wrote:I really like the glass top approach, I think that would make for a great project. I'm struggling to understand which types have a removable top, and looking at pictures on CL doesn't make it any easier. Do most of them have removable tops? Is this primarily to enable better stacking?

Thanks.
The tops aren't removable.
What am I missing here then? mcgraw23's unit has no top, right? I've seen a few for sale like that, but others that look like the tops must be an integral part of the unit.
They cut the top out, or remove the rivets.
natepachl
Art Expert

Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:11 pm

Is there a refurbed flat file thread where we can post pics? Swore I saw one a few weeks back, but can't find it?

Was inspired by this job and some of Billy's pics, but don't want to step on their respective threads.
I wouldn't deal with JakeStanley / eBay user fratdaddyjake
snowphun
Art Enthusiast

Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:14 pm

wottagunn wrote:They cut the top out, or remove the rivets.
OK, thanks. Removing rivets I can work with; cleanly cutting a hole in a large sheet, hmmm.
iambillyg
Art Freak

Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:06 pm

natepachl wrote:Is there a refurbed flat file thread where we can post pics? Swore I saw one a few weeks back, but can't find it?

Was inspired by this job and some of Billy's pics, but don't want to step on their respective threads.
You can post in mine. Doesn't bother me.

There's also this thread though: http://forum.expressobeans.com/viewtopi ... 32&t=48516
natepachl
Art Expert

Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:47 pm

iambillyg wrote:
natepachl wrote:Is there a refurbed flat file thread where we can post pics? Swore I saw one a few weeks back, but can't find it?

You can post in mine. Doesn't bother me.

There's also this thread though: http://forum.expressobeans.com/viewtopi ... 32&t=48516
Thanks man, this was the thread I was looking for. Pics coming tomorrow.....
I wouldn't deal with JakeStanley / eBay user fratdaddyjake
DonPiano
Art Expert

Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:11 am

snowphun wrote:
OK, thanks. Removing rivets I can work with; cleanly cutting a hole in a large sheet, hmmm.
Does anybody have progress shots for cutting a hole in the top of a flat file? I'd love to do it so I can make it a feature, but I'm concerned that the top would bend in on itself.
The Curb

Friends and Like-Minded Souls of webuyyourkids Facebook Group

Hotdogs are not sandwiches.

Friends & Family don't let Friends & Family send money via Friends & Family.
farmerjay
Art Enthusiast

Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:47 am

DonPiano wrote: Does anybody have progress shots for cutting a hole in the top of a flat file? I'd love to do it so I can make it a feature, but I'm concerned that the top would bend in on itself.
I just cut the top off my safco last weekend. I have no pics right now, but I basically just cut a hole in the top leaving a couple inches of border around it and it's still pretty solid. As long as you support your glass in the corners or around the edges, it should be fine. I wouldn't cut the top completely off a safco though, you would probably lose all your support. But it looks like the guy who originally made this thread, made a wood top with a hole in it and secured it to his flat file.
DonPiano
Art Expert

Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:48 am

farmerjay wrote:
DonPiano wrote: Does anybody have progress shots for cutting a hole in the top of a flat file? I'd love to do it so I can make it a feature, but I'm concerned that the top would bend in on itself.
I just cut the top off my safco last weekend. I have no pics right now, but I basically just cut a hole in the top leaving a couple inches of border around it and it's still pretty solid. As long as you support your glass in the corners or around the edges, it should be fine. I wouldn't cut the top completely off a safco though, you would probably lose all your support. But it looks like the guy who originally made this thread, made a wood top with a hole in it and secured it to his flat file.
Cool, that's pretty much what I had in mind to cut mine a few inches in. Did you take it off first and then rivet it back in place or just cut it whilst it was attached? What did you use to cut it?
The Curb

farmerjay
Art Enthusiast

Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:10 pm

Mine has no rivets. It was much easier to cut on and the metal isn't very thick, so taking it off would've been a lot more work and risking of bending it. I used an angle grinder with a cutting wheel and a piece of angle iron to help guide it straight. Then I bought some thin aluminum edge trim, which I will paint the same color as the file, to cover the rough edges. It's nearly impossible to cut a perfectly straight and smooth cut. I can try and post some pics of my progress so far tomorrow.
cargoflipper
Art Expert

Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:18 pm

Jeezzzzz, How much money do you have?
hellosir wrote:People truly bitch about everything these days
mcgraw23
Art Expert

Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:29 pm

farmerjay wrote:Mine has no rivets. It was much easier to cut on and the metal isn't very thick, so taking it off would've been a lot more work and risking of bending it. I used an angle grinder with a cutting wheel and a piece of angle iron to help guide it straight. Then I bought some thin aluminum edge trim, which I will paint the same color as the file, to cover the rough edges. It's nearly impossible to cut a perfectly straight and smooth cut. I can try and post some pics of my progress so far tomorrow.
Looking forward to the updates! I've got a couple with metal tops that I've been debating cutting into so it'll be nice to see what yours looks like.
A Lannister always pays his debts.
DonPiano
Art Expert

Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:01 am

farmerjay wrote:Mine has no rivets. It was much easier to cut on and the metal isn't very thick, so taking it off would've been a lot more work and risking of bending it. I used an angle grinder with a cutting wheel and a piece of angle iron to help guide it straight. Then I bought some thin aluminum edge trim, which I will paint the same color as the file, to cover the rough edges. It's nearly impossible to cut a perfectly straight and smooth cut. I can try and post some pics of my progress so far tomorrow.
Awesome. I have both an angle grinder and an angle iron that I can use so I should be able to do that. I'm looking forward to seeing what it looks like. Cheers.
The Curb

SurfingJeff
Art Expert

Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:23 am

DonPiano wrote:
snowphun wrote:
Does anybody have progress shots for cutting a hole in the top of a flat file? I'd love to do it so I can make it a feature, but I'm concerned that the top would bend in on itself.
If I remember correctly from the Facebook thread, I believe that the flat file pictured here actually has a wooden top instead of a hole cut into the metal. The wood was constructed to sit on top of the rest of the unit, and then stained to match the color. I imagine it's a lot easier to get nice straight lines when you're working with wood. If you look closely, you can see the corner joints in this photo:

T.H.C.
farmerjay
Art Enthusiast

Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:16 pm

Here is what I've got done so far. Progress is slow, in the middle of moving. I decided to go with all metal instead of using wood, especially since it already had a top to work with and I don't have the tools or experience with wood working to do it myself. So I would've had to pay someone to do that. I plan to paint everything gloss black, except the inside of the drawers, then add a piece of glass on top and an RGB LED strip underneath the top once it's all done. I just cut the edge trim with a miter box and a hack saw, then sanded the edges smooth. They came pre -drilled with tapered holes, so the screws sit flush and won't hit the glass and they have a small lip on the inside that hides the cut edges and nuts from view.