Shipping framed prints

Information on shipping, storing and repairing your art, plus your reviews on products for art collecting, making, storing, etc..

Postby jettad on Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:20 am

Thanks Peacedog, fantastic info. :clap:

Quick question. Are prints that are floated okay to ship framed? Or do they require a different way of packing/shipping?
jettad
Art Expert

Postby soam24 on Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:22 am

Peacedog,

awesome as always! and congrats on the 5 years!

:pint: :pint:
soam24
Art Freak

Postby peacedog on Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:36 am

jettad wrote:Quick question. Are prints that are floated okay to ship framed? Or do they require a different way of packing/shipping?

Not much you can do to secure the piece under the glass. Shipping floated art definitely worries me since a good hit from any direction can loosen the hinges. We much prefer to use a private currier who knows what he's dealing with and can give it the extra care required.
peacedog
Art Expert

Postby jettad on Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:02 am

peacedog wrote:
jettad wrote:Quick question. Are prints that are floated okay to ship framed? Or do they require a different way of packing/shipping?

Not much you can do to secure the piece under the glass. Shipping floated art definitely worries me since a good hit from any direction can loosen the hinges. We much prefer to use a private currier who knows what he's dealing with and can give it the extra care required.

Thanks.

So I lied, one more question. Which courier service do you use, any recommendations for within the US and international?

And I just read about the 5 years, congratulations. :clap: :clap:
jettad
Art Expert

Postby phishstix101 on Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:15 am

Bookmarked!
phishstix101
Art Expert

Postby pewter14 on Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:36 pm

Bump for the move into Art Care forum.

Left a shadow thread over in Framing Corner as well.

Edit ... and yeah, HOLY drymount ... that shipping. Might have to send peacedog a print or 5 to frame.
pewter14
EB Team

mistersmith wrote:Brady is one of the best QBs in history and will forever been seen as such.

Two links every EB member should read, please take a moment:

EB Wiki - How to Ship a Print in a Tube

Expressobeans For Sale Forum - Open Market Guidelines

Postby Baker on Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:40 am

Yeah, the packing out of Furthur is insane. When they shipped me back 4 smaller pieces they framed up for me it came in a giant box packed like an absolute champ. I havnt had to buy bubble wrap since then for packing anything, whenever I need a piece I just go back into that monster box and pull some out.
Baker
Art Expert

ironjaiden wrote: "'Weener in June' is completely sold out, thanks for the interest"

Postby opalis121 on Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:32 pm

Depending on your budget and the size of your work, masterpak makes some really decent prefab art shipping boxes: http://www.masterpak-usa.com/masterpak.htm
opalis121
Art Connoisseur

Postby Halo97 on Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:42 am

Very nice peacedog! You turned frame boxing into a work of art in itself!
Halo97
Art Connoisseur

Postby dinkydoggy on Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:15 pm

Extremely helpful tips. Thanks guys! :clap:
dinkydoggy
Art Expert

Postby fdi1001 on Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:16 am

Great info on this thread about shipping framed prints. We ship thousands a year so I can say what Peacedog showed was excellent. The shipping companies do not like large flat boxes because they have to be moved by hand through the sorting facilities if they are too large for the conveyer systems. The frame needs to have some protective material and distance between it and the outside box on all 6 sides, however the corners are the most important. Assume they will be throwing the box out of the truck and it will hit the floor on the corner. Make sure that the components are all secured and cant move. Usually not an issue for a single frame but we often ship multiple and if they are not secure they will bang together. We do not use peanuts because the frame might work its way through the peanuts and end up against the outside of the box. We like a combination of cardboard/foamboard and bubble as protection. Double wall cardboard especially around the edges are a plus. Uline has the best selection of regular flat shipping boxes. Making your own box is something to consider since the larger the box the more your cost for shipping. This use to be real true for boxes larger than 3 cubic feet due to the shipping companies charging what they call dimensional weight. At the beginning of the year all box sizes are eligible for dimensional weight charges via Fedex and UPS. This is forcing my company to go more with custom boxes and I plan to start selling boxes just for shipping picture frames. Make sure you insure your shipment appropriately. When shipping artwork you may need to go with 3rd party insurance since Fedex and UPS may have limits on that. There is no such thing as bullet proof. The only reason peacedog has not had trouble is because he does not ship enough. Although his packing is great, it will not hold up to a forklift fork going through the box or being run over by a truck (we have seen both).
fdi1001
Art Connoisseur

Postby canuck on Mon May 08, 2017 8:50 pm

About to ship off a framed print. Very helpful thread.

Bump.
canuck
Art Freak

Image Image Image Image

Previous

Return to Art Care