Alternate Finish - Flat file top..?

Information on shipping, storing and repairing your art, plus your reviews on products for art collecting, making, storing, etc..
IWish
Art Expert

Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:53 pm

Hey all...

I stumbled across this idea quite sometime ago. You can create a faux leather finish using masking tape and shoe leather die. (Kiwi shoe die 2.5oz. bottle). I used a cardboard box; as an example. (I only had brown die on-hand.) I didn't use a final clear seal on this (it's just a box/example), but results are pretty cool.

Thought I'd throw this out there. I know quite a few of you are buying flat files and thought this would be a quick, inexpensive way to finish flat file tops. Hell, I've seen pictures where folks have covered entire coffee tables, end tables...and dresser/drawers using this technique.

I would imagine it's also hard to spray paint/refinish a cabinet while living in an apartment (no ventilation). This would be a a good alternative.

Last edited by IWish on Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fattyramone
Art Expert

Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:11 pm

Any youtube videos for us to watch the procedure?
IWish
Art Expert

Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:27 pm

No...not really. I looked for one...couldn't find a decent video.

I can probably come-up with a step-by-step sort of thing w/pics. I'll try to post something. It's really easy. Basically, you just create your own pattern using the masking tape - tape widths vary, of course, I used 1". You can also buy really wide tape and tear pieces of tape, in irregular shapes, and apply to create a different sort of texture. Don't worry too much about wrinkles...sometimes they add to the faux look.

After the entire surface has been taped (no gaps-overlap all pieces), I applied the shoe die to a lightly damp cloth and applied until I achieved desired results. While die is still wet...wipe with a dry cloth to remove die and create an uneven finish. You can use two colors...I only had brown and applied 3 layers after each layer dried.

Supply costs are dirt cheap (Dollar Store)...use a piece of cardboard/card stock to experiment. Try different patterns and die applications, until you find one that you like. You can clear acrylic seal with Mod Podge purchased at a craft store (it also comes in outdoor/seal...water proof) it's acid free.

Hope that helps.
IWish
Art Expert

Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:27 pm

You can't mess this up...so easy. The leather texture just happens on its own when you apply the die. It's just a matter of preference regarding how light/dark you want it. Wipe on...wipe off...

2" perimeter on this box has 2 colors brown/black. Interior only has 1 color - black. Not much of a difference; however, I like the added brown.

Edit to add: I don't see why you couldn't create a leather-like texture on picture frames...flat frames. Horkey's come to mind.

:shock: :D I'm going to cover the 2" plain black frame on my JC/JP print.

aivc
Art Expert

Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:26 pm

Reviving because I just bought a cheap flat file that needs remodeling,and I don't have the tools or the place to paint it myself. So I decided to try this method. I really want to try it with duct type as well.

I'll experiment on some cardboard and post the results here if anyone is interested.

Sue if you have any more advice,now is the time! : D
aibohphobia wrote:Maybe, but either way you get some cred for joining on 4-20 at 4:20. Nexus of the Universe.
lukin321
Art Expert

Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:55 pm

I've actually been trying to brainstorm ideas to refinish the top of the flat file and this seems like a pretty cool idea. Anybody have any additional ideas as well for how I can spruce this thing up a bit?
IWish
Art Expert

Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:03 am

This is a type of project that you can't mess-up. It's just a matter of experimenting with different tape/patterns. When using masking tape and shoe dye...the leather-like finish happens on its own, really. Applying one or multiple coats of shoe dye to achieve the color and look that you want. I usually have a damp cloth on hand to wipe off excess dye (before it dries) to achieve an old/distressed leather look.

It's an easy project with very cool results. Inexpensive too.
aivc
Art Expert

Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:23 pm

I went this route, but kinda deviated from the simple faux-leather finish.

The taping and "painting" of the tape takes quite a bit of time. Went through 2 rolls of tape. I would say around 2 hours.

Then I decided it was too bland for my taste and added a spray paint design on to. From original design to final product, it took me probably around 5 hours. The time consuming thing was to make the design and cut the template. Overall i'm not disappointed.

Sorry for the cellphone, that's all i have right now.

aibohphobia wrote:Maybe, but either way you get some cred for joining on 4-20 at 4:20. Nexus of the Universe.