Do you need UV protection?

Information on shipping, storing and repairing your art, plus your reviews on products for art collecting, making, storing, etc..
Count
Art Expert

Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:08 pm

alittle wrote:On a related note, how do you guys deal with natural light? My place has massive windows, so tons of natural light is unavoidable. Everything I own is framed under TVCC/TVM. Even though I've got 99% UV protection on everything, I have strategically placed my least expensive pieces in the area that sees the most light exposure, however, this means tucking away some of my favourite pieces on walls that are not optimal for viewing.
I am just about to put up my first frames and, like you, am pretty anal about natural light as well. Nothing under direct sunlight, and everything with either CC or Museum. I am also planning to put my more expensive prints in areas that receive less light exposure. The best position in my house receives a fair amount of natural light, so I put a fairly inexpensive print there (although it is a print that I realy love).

I plan to eventually move to a bigger place in a couple of years, and hope to be able to put most of my framed prints in a dedicated home theater, which should receive minimal light exposure. That is the long term plan.
School
Art Connoisseur

Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:55 pm

Metal edition, museum glass? Or is that overkill?
cmatthews11
Art Expert

Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:53 am

School wrote:Metal edition, museum glass? Or is that overkill?
Overkill, IMO.
summoner
Art Freak

Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:56 am

cmatthews11 wrote:
Overkill, IMO.
Are the inks not UV tolerant? It was my understanding that UV protection was primarily for non-uv tolerant inked art, and most importantly to protect the paper from being bleached by the UV rays. Being metal bleaching is nothing to worry about, and I would at least think that inks today are UV tolerant/resistant.
Image Image Image
fitz
Art Expert

Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:07 pm

summoner wrote:In all honesty, you can swap out the glass for UV plexi on most standard size frames for under $30 (at say Hobby Lobby with a 40% off coupon), so the cost is not too crazy and you know that if you need/want to sell it later you should have no condition issues.
It seems to be really, really difficult to get UV acrylic over here in the UK - the only kind I can find has this coating on it which means that as soon as its 1 mm or more away from the image you start to get significant blurring :(
snowphun
Art Enthusiast

Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:18 pm

Just wanted to throw out the way I've been getting UV acrylic into my existing frames: I found a local distributor for Acrylite and am able to get full 4'x8' sheets of FF OP3 P99 for around $160. They make two cuts for me at no charge so I can fit it in my car, I have them cut at 36" and 72" which gives me 8 pieces for 18x24 frames and a 24x48 piece to use on other sizes. Easy to cut with a scoring device and the edge of a table. So far really happy with the results, i love the matte look.
aldo
Art Expert

Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:27 pm

Share the wealth - where are you located so we can get in on that action.
snowphun
Art Enthusiast

Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:12 pm

I found them on the Acrylite website, there were a handful of distributors in my area and these guys didn't care that I was only buying one sheet at a time. Looks like Acrylite has take the list off their site and wants you to call them now :? http://www.acrylite.net/product/acrylit ... fault.aspx . My local distributor is south of Boston in Canton, ThyssenKrupp Materials.

I don't think they gave me a special price, my expectation was any of their distributors should be able to do this. :)
Count
Art Expert

Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:24 pm

fitz wrote:It seems to be really, really difficult to get UV acrylic over here in the UK - the only kind I can find has this coating on it which means that as soon as its 1 mm or more away from the image you start to get significant blurring :(
You should see if any of your local framers have this: http://www.tru-vue.com/products/conserv ... r-acrylic/

It has UV protection, and there is no blurring. However, there are reflections (which I personally find acceptable most of the time).

But when you switch to the anti-reflection acrylic, that is when the blurring comes in, like this one: http://www.tru-vue.com/products/conserv ... l-acrylic/

I avoid these anti-reflection glazings as I like to use mats and this really blurs the image significantly. I'd rather live with reflections or pay more for museum glass.
aldo
Art Expert

Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:09 pm

snowphun wrote:I found them on the Acrylite website, there were a handful of distributors in my area and these guys didn't care that I was only buying one sheet at a time. Looks like Acrylite has take the list off their site and wants you to call them now :? http://www.acrylite.net/product/acrylit ... fault.aspx . My local distributor is south of Boston in Canton, ThyssenKrupp Materials.

I don't think they gave me a special price, my expectation was any of their distributors should be able to do this. :)
Way Back Machine to the rescue!!

http://web.archive.org/web/201210130409 ... s/usa.aspx

Thanks for the info - will be calling some of these places soon.
PLUSH
Art Expert

Tue May 19, 2015 9:38 pm

Picked up a piece that was supposed to have TV Museum glass. Got it home and it didn't look the same as others. Framer said it was another kind of museum glass. He's closed or I'd ask him. What other kind is there and is it as good? He said it doesn't scratch as much and much easier to work with for him.
peacedog
Art Expert

Sat Jun 06, 2015 8:03 pm

cmatthews11 wrote:
Overkill, IMO.

You could use TruVue's AR glass if you want to protect it from the elements and still avoid reflection. It's an identical anti-reflective coating as Museum glass without the UV coating. This is on the assumption that the inks are UV rated. I would still err on the side of caution and use Museum here in Colorado where UV damage is a much higher probability.