Do you need UV protection?

Information on shipping, storing and repairing your art, plus your reviews on products for art collecting, making, storing, etc..
FramerDave
Art Connoisseur

Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:39 pm

alittle wrote:I thought I read a post here where someone conducted a study, using strips of different types of glass, and the UV protection essentially did nothing. Anyone know what I'm talking about?
I've heard and seen this argument many times, and it's hardly a scientific or definitive test. Here's what usually happens: A framer frames up a cheap print (wouldn't want to ruin something expensive after all) and uses half regular clear glass with about 40% protection and half UV filtering glass with 97-99% protection. Then up it goes in the window. Within a matter of weeks both halves are faded. Conclusion: the crap don't work.

Not quite. First, with the cheap print you get cheap paper and cheap ink. Neither are designed to last forever and the inks used are fugitive, to borrow a word from the conservation world. In other words, they're chemically unstable and exposure to light (any light) will cause them to degrade faster.

Second, they're asking the glass to do something it was never meant to do: protect from direct light exposure. Once you reach a certain light intensity, nothing will prevent fading, only slow it down a little bit.

Here's an analogy: TruVue used to have a tagline: It's like sunscreen for your art. It's quite apt. Now, I'm very fair-skinned, just like my mother was. I don't tan, I go from lily white to red with nothing in between. Now, if I go to the beach I can use sunscreen. Does that mean I can stay outside in the bright sun for eight hours and not burn? Hardly. It just buys me some time. It means that I can go out in the sun for maybe three hours and end up with the equivalent of one hour's exposure to sun.

Does this mean that UV protection is worthless? No. It's cheap insurance. Another analogy: Seat belts and air bags. They're not 100% effective 100% of the time, but I can guarantee you that if I don't wear them I would be a lot worse off in the event of a wreck.
Last edited by FramerDave on Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FramerDave
Art Connoisseur

Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:41 pm

questkid32 wrote:One of The things that I rarely see mentioned in these discussions is also the fact that regular class is a lot more breakable than the UV protected glass. Granted I get my stuff from Hobby lobby, but even in the store the girl showed me how easily the glass regular breaks compared to the uv protected glass. The frustration Of having to replace broken glass alone might be worth the additional $30 for the UV class.
That's a new one on me. I've been framing for almost 19 years and have cut and broken more glass than I care to remember. Never noticed a difference.

You sure she was comparing glass to glass, and not glass to acrylic?
daviddelgadoh
Art Expert

Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:41 pm

FramerDave is the man.
appletree
Art Expert

Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:42 pm

Well stated. Always learn so much when you post around here. Thanks again for the information.

This...
daviddelgadoh wrote:FramerDave is the man.
<3 + Image = T.H.C.

:::Johnathon Powers Photography:::
Sail wrote:it was all just a misunderstandingtree.
FramerDave
Art Connoisseur

Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:45 pm

Oh crap, Appletree. I need to get back in touch with you. I still owe you a hinging.
jojobadass
Art God

Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:45 pm

I rub SPF-30 on all my prints
For the best concert and movie posters available, check out: http://www.jojosposters.com

For other art crap....be sure to check out: http://www.jojosfineart.com

And for the kinkiest records in the world......check out the newest website in the Jojo Empire: http://www.jojosrecords.com
appletree
Art Expert

Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:48 pm

FramerDave wrote:Oh crap, Appletree. I need to get back in touch with you. I still owe you a hinging.
Ha no worries I know you were busy....I ended up sending it off in my last batch of framed pieces. ALTHOUGH I do have some other pieces that I would love to hinge and don't plan on sending them off anytime soon (currently house shopping!).

This was the result....
meridian_framed1.JPG
meridian_framed2.JPG
<3 + Image = T.H.C.

fredo
Art God

Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:51 pm

If only this driver's rig had conservation clear windows.
just a foil for me today, thanks
FramerDave
Art Connoisseur

Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:09 pm

Sweet! That black really sets it off nicely. Who did you have do them?
appletree
Art Expert

Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:39 am

A place in Denver a lot of folks on here use, place is called Furthur Frames. The framer is Corey Hartman.

I have two other pieces from the same artist I want to frame up as well...but currently getting in a house is my priority. Been really stressed and crazy about that haha.
<3 + Image = T.H.C.

alittle
Art Freak

Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:48 am

FramerDave wrote:
alittle wrote:I thought I read a post here where someone conducted a study, using strips of different types of glass, and the UV protection essentially did nothing. Anyone know what I'm talking about?
I've heard and seen this argument many times, and it's hardly a scientific or definitive test. Here's what usually happens: A framer frames up a cheap print (wouldn't want to ruin something expensive after all) and uses half regular clear glass with about 40% protection and half UV filtering glass with 97-99% protection. Then up it goes in the window. Within a matter of weeks both halves are faded. Conclusion: the crap don't work.

Not quite. First, with the cheap print you get cheap paper and cheap ink. Neither are designed to last forever and the inks used are fugitive, to borrow a word from the conservation world. In other words, they're chemically unstable and exposure to light (any light) will cause them to degrade faster.

Second, they're asking the glass to do something it was never meant to do: protect from direct light exposure. Once you reach a certain light intensity, nothing will prevent fading, only slow it down a little bit.

Here's an analogy: TruVue used to have a tagline: It's like sunscreen for your art. It's quite apt. Now, I'm very fair-skinned, just like my mother was. I don't tan, I go from lily white to red with nothing in between. Now, if I go to the beach I can use sunscreen. Does that mean I can stay outside in the bright sun for eight hours and not burn? Hardly. It just buys me some time. It means that I can go out in the sun for maybe three hours and end up with the equivalent of one hour's exposure to sun.

Does this mean that UV protection is worthless? No. It's cheap insurance. Another analogy: Seat belts and air bags. They're not 100% effective 100% of the time, but I can guarantee you that if I don't wear them I would be a lot worse off in the event of a wreck.
Thanks for the explanation. It was me second guessing where I've hung some particular pieces that see quite a bit of sunlight. For the record, the aforementioned experiment did not sway me, as I always use Conservation Clear or Museum.
FramerDave
Art Connoisseur

Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:41 pm

appletree wrote:A place in Denver a lot of folks on here use, place is called Furthur Frames. The framer is Corey Hartman.

I have two other pieces from the same artist I want to frame up as well...but currently getting in a house is my priority. Been really stressed and crazy about that haha.
Oh yeah, I've heard of that guy. I hear he does some pretty decent work once in a while.
daviddelgadoh
Art Expert

Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:52 pm

Random ?, but didn't want to start a new thread.
Anyone (FramerDave) know the maximum size of museum glass? Essentially the uncut sheets. Assuming 30x40, but can't find that info online.

Thanks!
alittle
Art Freak

Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:12 am

I know 40"x60" is commonly available...I haven't seen anything bigger than that, although, I wouldn't be surprised if it exists.

On a related note, how do you guys deal with natural light? My place has massive windows, so tons of natural light is unavoidable. Everything I own is framed under TVCC/TVM. Even though I've got 99% UV protection on everything, I have strategically placed my least expensive pieces in the area that sees the most light exposure, however, this means tucking away some of my favourite pieces on walls that are not optimal for viewing.
FramerDave
Art Connoisseur

Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:09 pm

alittle wrote:I know 40"x60" is commonly available...I haven't seen anything bigger than that, although, I wouldn't be surprised if it exists.

On a related note, how do you guys deal with natural light? My place has massive windows, so tons of natural light is unavoidable. Everything I own is framed under TVCC/TVM. Even though I've got 99% UV protection on everything, I have strategically placed my least expensive pieces in the area that sees the most light exposure, however, this means tucking away some of my favourite pieces on walls that are not optimal for viewing.
On the larger side, Museum Glass is available in the following sizes: 32x40, 36x48, 40x60 and 48x68. However, I would be VERY reluctant to use it any larger than 36x48. It's just too heavy and that is a metric buttload of broken, dangerous glass to deal with if it breaks. Trust me, I have the scar and nerve damage from 13 stitches to remind me. Plus you'd have problems getting a framer to sell you a lite of glass that size without a frame. The handling and liability issues are just too much.

Now as far as natural light, do what you're doing. Use UV filtering glazing, keep out of direct or strong light, and rotate them regularly.