Do you need UV protection?

Information on shipping, storing and repairing your art, plus your reviews on products for art collecting, making, storing, etc..
suchanoo
Art Expert

Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:12 am

CrustaR wrote:
IWish wrote:
CrustaR wrote:
suchanoo wrote:Museum grade UV isn't quite as effective at blocking UV waves as standard UV.
This is the first I have ever heard of that...Do you have any info that backs up that claim?
As far as I know, you would need to get the testing data/document from the glass manufacture(s) and compare the results.
You mean like this? ;)

http://www.tru-vue.com/Museums/products ... reflective (Museum)
Taxi for one, please...
UK Member? Reclaim some VAT... http://forum.expressobeans.com/viewtopi ... =8&t=85994
shut your mouth and open your mind
CrustaR
Art Expert

Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:15 am

suchanoo wrote:
Taxi for one, please...
Oh, I see...I didn't realize your original comment was a joke. Sometimes I am bad at catching them. :oops:
pewter14 wrote:You're not the only one on the hunt for The Thing ... just ... the most obvious ... by a lot.
suchanoo
Art Expert

Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:22 am

CrustaR wrote:
suchanoo wrote:
Taxi for one, please...
Oh, I see...I didn't realize your original comment was a joke. Sometimes I am bad at catching them. :oops:
No, you read it right. My stupid mistake, I believe everything my framer tells me. Thanks for actually researching it, like I should have done before plastering it all over the internet.
UK Member? Reclaim some VAT... http://forum.expressobeans.com/viewtopi ... =8&t=85994
shut your mouth and open your mind
fredo
Art God

Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:22 am

Plywood. It's the only way to be sure.
just a foil for me today, thanks
CrustaR
Art Expert

Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:27 am

suchanoo wrote:
CrustaR wrote:
suchanoo wrote:
Taxi for one, please...
No, you read it right. My stupid mistake, I believe everything my framer tells me. Thanks for actually researching it, like I should have done before plastering it all over the internet.
No biggy. :pint:
pewter14 wrote:You're not the only one on the hunt for The Thing ... just ... the most obvious ... by a lot.
IWish
Art Expert

Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:38 am

You can request the performance data report to see actual test results. Here's an example for a window film product.

http://www.llumar.com/pdf/en/LLumarPara ... Global.pdf
BlakeAronson
Flipper

Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:57 am

if the print is worth over $500 today, and you expect it to go higher, I would consider it. If it were my favorite print I'd consider. otherwise a waste of money, especially prints on white paper.

I find that inks don't really fade, most people are using archival inks these days. Where you'll experience fading is on colored paper. Aaron Horkeys early prints all show this. My converge 04, hurricane relief and OTA all showed evidence of the paper fading, and these were prints that were hung away from windows, some i've had always hung in a hallway, no windows facing it, paper still faded.

regardless when the paper fades, it fades evenly. You cannot tell the difference unless you remove the print from the frame and look at the perimeter 1/8-1/4" that is covered by matt or frame rabbet. I have been planning on reframing my converge 04 and I will still likely not pay for museum glass, as I grow old and decay, so will it, it will out last me assuming I don't throw it in the trash one day or have my house burn down.
Last edited by BlakeAronson on Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
8=====D~~~~
jojobadass
Art God

Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:01 pm

french's colored paper fades like a posterkiller
For the best concert and movie posters available, check out: http://www.jojosposters.com

For other art crap....be sure to check out: http://www.jojosfineart.com

And for the kinkiest records in the world......check out the newest website in the Jojo Empire: http://www.jojosrecords.com
maden
Art Expert

Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:21 pm

I don't think the UV you need to worry about is the sun. I believe it is supposed to protect art from your interior lights. Pretty sure glass/plexi manufacturers assume you will put stuff up as far away from the sun as possible.
We'll kill the fatted calf tonight, so stick around

BlakeAronson
Flipper

Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:48 pm

this is true, but i also live like a vampire and never turn on lights.
8=====D~~~~
Kazden
Art Connoisseur

Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:13 am

I have a lot of natural light in my house. I've always used UV protective glass when framing. I figure its better to be safe than sorry later on.
Image THC!
KennyRE317
Art Expert

Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:29 am

BlakeAronson wrote:if the print is worth over $500 today, and you expect it to go higher, I would consider it. If it were my favorite print I'd consider. otherwise a waste of money, especially prints on white paper.

I find that inks don't really fade, most people are using archival inks these days. Where you'll experience fading is on colored paper. Aaron Horkeys early prints all show this. My converge 04, hurricane relief and OTA all showed evidence of the paper fading, and these were prints that were hung away from windows, some i've had always hung in a hallway, no windows facing it, paper still faded.

regardless when the paper fades, it fades evenly. You cannot tell the difference unless you remove the print from the frame and look at the perimeter 1/8-1/4" that is covered by matt or frame rabbet. I have been planning on reframing my converge 04 and I will still likely not pay for museum glass, as I grow old and decay, so will it, it will out last me assuming I don't throw it in the trash one day or have my house burn down.
i guess it doesn't matter if you plan on never selling the print, white paper will end up yellowing as well. i was going to make another thread and i probably will (with pictures) but one of my white frames has fading outside of the glass whereas the inside of the glass the frame's lip is real white. museum glass maybe expensive but plexi really isn't too bad
Kerrick
Art Connoisseur

Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:37 pm

UV protection glass is kinda expensive here so I am sticking to normal glass for now. Thankfully most of the frames are in dark rooms.
One framer did offer an anti reflex glass but I am sure that offers 0 protection against uv.
FramerDave
Art Connoisseur

Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:44 pm

CrustaR wrote:
suchanoo wrote:Museum grade UV isn't quite as effective at blocking UV waves as standard UV.
This is the first I have ever heard of that...Do you have any info that backs up that claim?
Are you talking about Museum Glass, the glass with the anti-reflective and UV filtering coatings? If so, it offers 99% UV filtering. It's damned difficult to get much better than that.
wonkabars7
Art Expert

Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:14 pm

I think its important to always use protection no matter where you put it up.