Do you need UV protection?

Information on shipping, storing and repairing your art, plus your reviews on products for art collecting, making, storing, etc..
fitz
Art Expert

Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:45 am

For an average poster (one that cost in the $50 - $200 range) would you go to the expense of framing it behind some kind of UV resistant glass/acrylic or just live with normal acrylic/glass?

I am looking at getting some things framed but as soon as you step away from ordinary materials the price skyrockets - I have to think to myself these are not Old Masters worth thousands (and I actually have more expensive works sat behind ordinary glass) but something about this forum has turned me paranoid in terms of the posters I have

clearly its a case of get the UV glass if you can, but do most people do that or would it seem OTT for a poster that is not going to be sat in direct sunlight?
suchanoo
Art Expert

Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:48 am

It's not just the value you need to consider, but the fact that if it is a piece you wish to display for years to come, UV glass will help maintain the vibrancy of the colours, and the tone of the paper it is printed on.
UK Member? Reclaim some VAT... http://forum.expressobeans.com/viewtopi ... =8&t=85994
shut your mouth and open your mind
IWish
Art Expert

Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:48 am

Personally, I think most spend too much framing their $50 posters. I always use spacers and, depending on where they go, I'll use non-glare glass. Most of my prints are standard sizes and I switch 'em out, periodically, to prevent fading.
summoner
Art Freak

Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:03 am

Honestly it is your call, and your own call alone. If you want to preserve them in what would be pristine status, then yes you should use archival materials/UV glass or plexi when framing. If it is a $50 poster that you KNOW that you will have on your wall for years and years and you dont mind it being faded a bit over time from UV, then leave the stock material and be happy with the image on your wall.

In all honesty, you can swap out the glass for UV plexi on most standard size frames for under $30 (at say Hobby Lobby with a 40% off coupon), so the cost is not too crazy and you know that if you need/want to sell it later you should have no condition issues.
Image Image Image
jojobadass
Art God

Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:12 am

personally, I would put UV film on your windows
For the best concert and movie posters available, check out: http://www.jojosposters.com

For other art crap....be sure to check out: http://www.jojosfineart.com

And for the kinkiest records in the world......check out the newest website in the Jojo Empire: http://www.jojosrecords.com
IWish
Art Expert

Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:42 am

jojobadass wrote:personally, I would put UV film on your windows
Ha! I originally had an additional paragraph in my post regarding this. My suggestion was to invest that kind of money in your home - upgrading windows/sliding glass doors to insulated lowe/uv windows. Couple windows at a time...start with East/West side of home...you don't have to replace all at the same time.
CrustaR
Art Expert

Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:48 am

It's TOTALLY worth it not only for the safety of your print but also for the clarity. You will miss out on a lot of enjoyment of the piece if it is framed behind standard glass as opposed to museum glass which is practically invisible. Also, even keeping a print out of direct sunlight will not prevent UV damage - interior lighting can also emit UV rays.
pewter14 wrote:You're not the only one on the hunt for The Thing ... just ... the most obvious ... by a lot.
fitz
Art Expert

Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:48 am

the UV I get through my windows is practically the only source of Vit D I get :?
summoner
Art Freak

Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:55 am

CrustaR wrote:Also, even keeping a print out of direct sunlight will not prevent UV damage - interior lighting can also emit UV rays.
It is funny you mention that, I just yesterday ordered new LED bulbs to replace all the halogen bulbs in the spot lights in my hall and living room for that exact reason. All the windows in the house are either UV, or have a UV film. Next will be slowly replacing all the other bulbs from CFL to LED... Damn things are pricey!
Image Image Image
suchanoo
Art Expert

Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:58 am

Last edited by suchanoo on Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
UK Member? Reclaim some VAT... http://forum.expressobeans.com/viewtopi ... =8&t=85994
shut your mouth and open your mind
CrustaR
Art Expert

Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:09 am

suchanoo wrote:Museum grade UV isn't quite as effective at blocking UV waves as standard UV.
This is the first I have ever heard of that...Do you have any info that backs up that claim?
pewter14 wrote:You're not the only one on the hunt for The Thing ... just ... the most obvious ... by a lot.
IWish
Art Expert

Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:24 am

CrustaR wrote:
suchanoo wrote:Museum grade UV isn't quite as effective at blocking UV waves as standard UV.
This is the first I have ever heard of that...Do you have any info that backs up that claim?
As far as I know, you would need to get the testing data/document from the glass manufacture(s) and compare the results.
IWish
Art Expert

Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:36 am

fitz wrote:
the UV I get through my windows is practically the only source of Vit D I get :?
Ha! We get 85% sunny days, annually. But, since we live like mole-people (indoors in front of our computers) we still need to take Vit-D supplements. A medical tech once told me that they are seeing teenagers with osteoporosis. I was surprised, considering where I'm located - the amount of sunshine we get.
CrustaR
Art Expert

Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:00 am

IWish wrote:
CrustaR wrote:
As far as I know, you would need to get the testing data/document from the glass manufacture(s) and compare the results.
You mean like this? ;)

http://www.tru-vue.com/Museums/products ... reflective (Museum)
appletree
Art Expert

Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:12 am

Not that I care for my apartment, but wanting to buy a home by the spring time, does LED lighting have any affect, positive or negative, on art versus standard light bulbs?
<3 + Image = T.H.C.

:::Johnathon Powers Photography:::
Sail wrote:it was all just a misunderstandingtree.