Flat File Refurbishing Project

Information on shipping, storing and repairing your art, plus your reviews on products for art collecting, making, storing, etc..
mike123230
Art Expert

Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:04 pm

I'm really regretting not powder coating mine...instead I spent a weekend sanding and spraypainting. Super happy with how it came out, but it was a BITCH.
cmatthews11
Art Expert

Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:10 pm

mike123230 wrote:I'm really regretting not powder coating mine...instead I spent a weekend sanding and spraypainting. Super happy with how it came out, but it was a BITCH.
Yeah, thats the whole reason I'm doing it... spent around 8 hours on the drawers, and that's without doing the inside portion. After that, I decided my time is more valuable.

The only problem with powdercoating is that I can't really work on the small dents on the cabinet. It's in great shape, but if I was doing it by hand I could putty any imperfections. Not a huge deal to me, especially since it's getting painted black.

I'll eventually put a piece of glass on top too.
mike123230
Art Expert

Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:14 pm

cmatthews11 wrote:
mike123230 wrote:I'm really regretting not powder coating mine...instead I spent a weekend sanding and spraypainting. Super happy with how it came out, but it was a BITCH.
Yeah, thats the whole reason I'm doing it... spent around 8 hours on the drawers, and that's without doing the inside portion. After that, I decided my time is more valuable.

The only problem with powdercoating is that I can't really work on the small dents on the cabinet. It's in great shape, but if I was doing it by hand I could putty any imperfections. Not a huge deal to me, especially since it's getting painted black.

I'll eventually put a piece of glass on top too.
Nice. I had to build a top since mine didn't come with one...but after finishing that project, now someone's selling tops in Austin for like $60 bucks...ah well....I'll take pride in having done it all myself (I guess)
PygmyLush
Art Connoisseur

Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:57 pm

good call on the powder coating i was a wet painter at a shop that did powder.

looked for a good deal on a old flat file so i could get it powder coated while i worked but no such luck.

can't wait to see the finshed product.
"Hipsters are pissing all over the mustache's good name"- preacher010
cmatthews11
Art Expert

Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:58 pm

Had it media blasted this week... picked it up and took it to the powdercoater... will be done next Friday so I will have photos then!

Considering getting a piece of tempered glass for the top and put a piece of art underneath... anyone have any recommendations for this?
cmatthews11
Art Expert

Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:21 pm

Ok - here it is... bad pics, but you get the point... I ended up going with a mat black paint job on the powdercoating. The first picture shows the true green color... it's not as neon as the 2nd photo would suggest.

And please forgive the additional green walls along with green, pink, orange, and purple curtains. My fiance and I are buying a house this fall... I can't wait to get out of this room.

summoner
Art Freak

Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:26 pm

Did you have the entire thing powdercoated? Was thinking of having mine done, curious on the cost.
Image Image Image
cmatthews11
Art Expert

Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:37 pm

summoner wrote:Did you have the entire thing powdercoated? Was thinking of having mine done, curious on the cost.
I sanded and spraypainted the drawers myself, just the black outer cabinet was powdercoated.

Here's my total cost (roughly):

Flat file - $25
Drawers - $25 (spraypaint, sandpaper)
Base - $60 (playwood, wheels, screws, spraypaint, etc.)
Media blast - $50 (at a classic car bodyshop)
Powdercoating - $100

So in total, about $260.
summoner
Art Freak

Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:37 pm

cmatthews11 wrote:
summoner wrote:Did you have the entire thing powdercoated? Was thinking of having mine done, curious on the cost.
I sanded and spraypainted the drawers myself, just the black outer cabinet was powdercoated.

Here's my total cost (roughly):

Flat file - $25
Drawers - $25 (spraypaint, sandpaper)
Base - $60 (playwood, wheels, screws, spraypaint, etc.)
Media blast - $50 (at a classic car bodyshop)
Powdercoating - $100

So in total, about $260.
Gotcha, thanks!
Image Image Image
dasponyboy
Art Expert

Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:54 pm

It really turned out great!
mcavoyas
Art Enthusiast

Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:56 pm

Looks fantastic. I'll be attempting the same as soon as the weather changes.