Flat File Refurbishing Project

Information on shipping, storing and repairing your art, plus your reviews on products for art collecting, making, storing, etc..
cmatthews11
Art Expert

Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:25 pm

Purchased this bad boy off of Craigslist for the low low price of $25. Dimensions are 17 1/2 inches high, 40inches wide, 27 1/2 inches deep.

My initial thought was to do all the work myself from start to finish, but with winter approaching here in Pittsburgh and lack of room in my garage, thinking of another route...

Anyone ever get their flat file powdercoated? I'm thinking about getting the drawers green with a clear coat and flake and the frame as black with a clear coat and flake. The estimates I've received so far have been around $150 and since to do it myself I'd be looking at around $75 and more time than I have to spend on it, this seems like a pretty easy decision.

I am going to build the base for it first and paint it black (I'll probably add wheels since it's so damn heavy).

Any thoughts or suggestions?
dasponyboy
Art Expert

Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:30 pm

Send it to the powdercoaters! $150 is a bargain, I like your color choices too. :pint:

Also like the hardware too, I'd just buff those up, they'd look killer.
cmatthews11
Art Expert

Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:35 pm

Yep - planning on buffing the polish with some baking soda and lemon juice.

I'd like to just buff the tag holders as well, but am considering painting them... not entirely sure on that yet. Need to talk to the powdercoater and see if they'll tape them off without too much trouble.
KennyRE317
Art Expert

Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:28 am

got $150 i would gladly pay someone to redo one for me
cmatthews11
Art Expert

Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:09 pm

Step 1: Complete

Cut my plywood into three pieces and attached with some liquid nails and 1.5" screws on both sides. I just wanted to make sure it was sturdy enough and hardly noticeable to be honest. Painted the sides and bottom with one can of matte black spraypaint. Was a little nervous that the plywood wouldn't be level, but with the weight of the flatfile it worked just fine.

The wheels were easy, two fixed, and two swivel.

I didn't attach the base to the flat file, I want to be able to just remove it easily should I decide to.

The entire thing will be going to get powder-coated this week, and all I should have left is to buff and polish the brass. Will post more photos as it moves along...
dasponyboy
Art Expert

Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:10 pm

Nice man! Can't wait to see the finished product.
cmatthews11
Art Expert

Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:50 pm

Thank you!
dasponyboy wrote:Nice man! Can't wait to see the finished product.
The frame is off to get powder-coated, although I'm expecting about a 2 month turnaround at this point...

I'm doing the drawers myself and have a question... the inside of the drawers are in pretty good shape but are currently dark green (I'm painting the drawers a lighter green). Should I sand them and prime them gray and leave them that way?

Certainly would be easier to not do that since I'm probably going to put some foam board inside the drawers - but I don't want to regret keeping them dark green down the line. I'll tape off the handles and maybe the tag holders (haven't decided)... then I'll hit them with some baking soda/lemon juice to polish.
dasponyboy
Art Expert

Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:06 pm

I wouldn't bother with the inside of the drawers, I'd stick with the foamboard.
cmatthews11
Art Expert

Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:35 pm

Had some time to get this done this weekend, took about 4 hours to sand everything with a mixer of a belt sander, mouse sander, and the rest by hand. Couldn't be happier with how they came out.

The frame is being powder-coated black with a flake coat so it shines, but like I said above, it'll probably be awhile before it gets finished.
iambillyg
Art Freak

Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:27 pm

Looking good so far. Bold color choice, for sure.

I really need to finish up my oak one. Ugh.
cmatthews11
Art Expert

Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:02 pm

iambillyg wrote:Looking good so far. Bold color choice, for sure.

I really need to finish up my oak one. Ugh.
Agreed. And to think I almost went with Lime green (I forget the naming convention for this color...)

It was my compromise, it's my fiance's favorite color, and I don't think she would've wanted this in the house unless I told her I picked green for her... :lol:
theperfecttree
EB Team

Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:50 pm

cmatthews11 wrote:The frame is being powder-coated black with a flake coat so it shines, but like I said above, it'll probably be awhile before it gets finished.
interested to see how this turns out! Any update from the people who are doing the powder-coating?
cmatthews11
Art Expert

Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:58 pm

Should be done within the month... I had originally told the guy to not rush as he was back logged with work and it wasn't a pressing need for me.

Will post photos ASAP. I can't wait to see it myself!
IWish
Art Expert

Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:05 pm

Powder coating is the way to go with a metal cabinet. Good decision.

I was given a tour (work-related) through a powder coating plant...kinda' cool. The thing to remember is that you can probably talk yourself into a better deal if you ask what colors they'll be running for pending (future) orders (from other companies.) For example, we had an order come through for fire engine red window frames (aluminum/residential)...our painted frames were all powder coated. I could have sent stuff over to them (personal stuff) to have coated (in any given color/run) for dirt cheap if I wanted to. Just thought I'd throw this out there, in case anyone else is thinking about going this route.

I'll keep my eye out for pics of the finished cabinet...I'd like to see it. 8)
cmatthews11
Art Expert

Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:50 pm

Ok - whirlwind of information from this week... turns out the guy that was going to do it for me no longer can (his oven broke). To remedy this situation, I made other arrangements.

As of today, it is being media blasted by a classic car restoration company who expect a 1 week turnaround... and after that I'm taking it to a powdercoating company nearby to do the rest. Minor inconvenience, but back on track to have it wrapped up in the next 2-3 weeks.

Gonna cost a tad more, but not unreasonable.