America: The Trump Era

Civics, civilly. Post lifetime is 6 months.

Postby gorkie on Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:03 am

Rand Paul Continues His One-Man Détente With Russia, This Time in Moscow

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/06/us/p ... ussia.html

42:10 to 45:05 is interesting...

gorkie
Art Freak

It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see. - Thoreau
@gorkieartdogma on Instagram

Postby jjttdw on Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:16 am

gorkie wrote:
bubbie wrote:To be fair, that part of Ukraine (what is Ukraine, anyway?) had been a part of the Russian Empire long before the Soviets came along. So the idea of the Soviets settling the Russians there is kind of bleak. Also, what is Soviets? And what is Russians?

"What is Ukraine, anyway?"

Jesus H. Christ.

And the Crimean Peninsula only became part of Russia after it was annexed from the Ottoman Empire.

https://www.history.com/news/crimea-rus ... annexation

For hundreds of years, Crimea has been the home of Tatars, a group of Turkic speakers who lived under the Ottoman Empire until Catherine the Great annexed the region. In 1944, Stalin deported about 200,000 Tatars to Siberia and Central Asia, calling the ethnic Muslims traitors to the USSR and bringing in ethnic Russians to replenish the workforce. And after Stalin’s death, Soviet premier Nikita Khrushchev transferred Crimea to Ukraine in a move hailed as a “noble act on behalf of the Russian people.” The transfer was praised at the 1954 meeting of the Presidium of the USSR Soviet Supreme, the Soviet Union’s highest legislative body.

But for all the talk about unity and cooperation, recent documents suggest Khrushchev’s move was motivated more by political calculation than goodwill. It was designed to appease Ukrainian leadership and solidify his position in the power struggle that emerged after Stalin’s death in 1953.

Plus, I said Crimea aside. There are Russian troops in non-Crimea Ukraine. And the Soviets resettled into the Baltics and Ukraine were Russians.
jjttdw
Art Expert

NEWPORTS69 wrote:ive kept journal for very long time and ranked public restrooms because i srs hate using them, was working on an app but im not very smart

Postby mike123230 on Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:32 am

glenn1 wrote:
finneganm wrote:
glenn1 wrote:
Woo5lscott wrote:And I guess those 45,000+ sealed indictments sitting out there aren’t anything either. Pedogate and Pizzagate are real

For those of you wishing for more participation in this thread by the right wingers, enjoy!

There really should be more of a dividing line between the crazies (^) and actual conservatives.

Operative word is should.

I do get where you guys are coming from. From what I've seen, though, the actual conservatives don't tend to like the scrutiny that gets applied their policy beliefs and tap out pretty quick.

My 2 cents - I think most of the people that truly believe in some sort of conservative ideals (e.g., small government, states' rights, more libertarianism-type views) jumped ship a long time ago. I have absolutely no defense for any of the appalling and embarrass clown show dumpster fire that is the current administration, nor any defense for the spinelessness of the so-called conservatives currently in congress. The party has truly gone the way of idiocracy, appealing to a base that represents people's worst instincts and fears instead of looking towards a future.

I always think about how much I respected my constitutional law professor who was fairly conservative and his reasoning for writing an amicus brief to the supreme court on legalization of marijuana. It was basically the "I don't agree with the idea of legalizing it, but it should be left up to the states to decide, therefore, I support the states' rights to make this decision." However, no one currently in power believes that. They believe in states rights/small government/no regulation when it helps them/their constituents (see, e.g., the gutting of the EPA and any other sort of regulations), however, they are aghast at the idea of states decriminalizing drugs, making decisions with regards to a woman's right to choose, etc. Both sides are hypocrites, but currently the right is on a scale that disgusts (what I want to believe is) most right-of-center-leaning people with half a brain.
mike123230
Art Expert

Postby gorkie on Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:39 am

gorkie wrote:New York Congressman Chris Collins indicted on insider trading charges

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/new-york-c ... g-charges/

Vox Sentences: Collin’ for an indictment

https://www.vox.com/vox-sentences/2018/ ... a-abortion

Collins, the representative for the 27th District in upstate New York, is on the board of Innate Immunotherapeutics. He is also one of their largest shareholders. Collins tipped off his son, who tipped off Zarsky, when an Innate drug trial failed. They subsequently saved more than a combined $768,000. [Wall Street Journal / Nicole Hong and Kristina Peterson]
gorkie
Art Freak

Postby cktbreaker on Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:47 am

gorkie wrote:
gorkie wrote:New York Congressman Chris Collins indicted on insider trading charges

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/new-york-c ... g-charges/

Vox Sentences: Collin’ for an indictment

https://www.vox.com/vox-sentences/2018/ ... a-abortion

Collins, the representative for the 27th District in upstate New York, is on the board of Innate Immunotherapeutics. He is also one of their largest shareholders. Collins tipped off his son, who tipped off Zarsky, when an Innate drug trial failed. They subsequently saved more than a combined $768,000. [Wall Street Journal / Nicole Hong and Kristina Peterson]

lulz, all of congress are inside traders.
cktbreaker
Art Expert

Postby Codeblue on Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:50 am

Dis guy obviously pissed off someone else in congress.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.

Postby comountaingolf on Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:15 pm

bubbie wrote:To be fair, that part of Ukraine (what is Ukraine, anyway?) had been a part of the Russian Empire long before the Soviets came along. So the idea of the Soviets settling the Russians there is kind of bleak...

Reminds me of the Anschluss with Austria in '38 and the Munich Agreement thereafter. Shitty politics. Shitty rationale. Shitty results.
comountaingolf
Art Expert

Jim Carr wrote:The fans are standing up to them! The security guards are standing up to them! The peanut vendors are standing up to them!

Image THC X 8

Postby hunterjax on Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:30 pm

Codeblue wrote:Dis guy obviously pissed off someone else in congress.

Yes.The seven or eight other congressmen ALSO heavily invested in the same drug company . . .
hunterjax
Art Expert

Kramerica wrote: . . . . . Also, never listen to anything rambo says.

Postby comountaingolf on Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:46 pm

glenn1 wrote:
Woo5lscott wrote:And I guess those 45,000+ sealed indictments sitting out there aren’t anything either. Pedogate and Pizzagate are real

For those of you wishing for more participation in this thread by the right wingers, enjoy!

Sounds akin to more participation from moronic QAnon conspiratorial dipshits who have no drymounting clue about reality and yearn for an America of ugly, fat, uneducated simpletons so they have something in common with the rest of the country. But that might just be me...

:cheers:
comountaingolf
Art Expert

Jim Carr wrote:The fans are standing up to them! The security guards are standing up to them! The peanut vendors are standing up to them!

Image THC X 8

Postby gorkie on Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:47 pm

hunterjax wrote:
Codeblue wrote:Dis guy obviously pissed off someone else in congress.

Yes.The seven or eight other congressmen ALSO heavily invested in the same drug company . . .

gorkie
Art Freak

Postby jjttdw on Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:49 pm

mike123230 wrote:
My 2 cents - I think most of the people that truly believe in some sort of conservative ideals (e.g., small government, states' rights, more libertarianism-type views) jumped ship a long time ago. I have absolutely no defense for any of the appalling and embarrass clown show dumpster fire that is the current administration, nor any defense for the spinelessness of the so-called conservatives currently in congress. The party has truly gone the way of idiocracy, appealing to a base that represents people's worst instincts and fears instead of looking towards a future.

I always think about how much I respected my constitutional law professor who was fairly conservative and his reasoning for writing an amicus brief to the supreme court on legalization of marijuana. It was basically the "I don't agree with the idea of legalizing it, but it should be left up to the states to decide, therefore, I support the states' rights to make this decision." However, no one currently in power believes that. They believe in states rights/small government/no regulation when it helps them/their constituents (see, e.g., the gutting of the EPA and any other sort of regulations), however, they are aghast at the idea of states decriminalizing drugs, making decisions with regards to a woman's right to choose, etc. Both sides are hypocrites, but currently the right is on a scale that disgusts (what I want to believe is) most right-of-center-leaning people with half a brain.

Well said.
jjttdw
Art Expert

NEWPORTS69 wrote:ive kept journal for very long time and ranked public restrooms because i srs hate using them, was working on an app but im not very smart

Postby rubberneck on Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:37 pm

jjttdw wrote:
mike123230 wrote:

Well said.

rubberneck
Art God

Postby gorkie on Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:28 pm

Trump rants behind closed doors with CEOs
The president rails against China over dinner with execs and senior White House staff.

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/08/ ... ina-766609

At one point during the dinner, Trump noted of an unnamed country that the attendee said was clearly China, “almost every student that comes over to this country is a spy.”
gorkie
Art Freak

Postby fredo on Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:31 pm

Why are the dems hypocrites too?
fredo
Art God

just a foil for me today, thanks

Postby FrankBooth on Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:34 pm

FrankBooth
Art Expert