America: The Trump Era

Civics, civilly. Post lifetime is 6 months.

Postby gorkie on Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:59 pm

93F94E56-3663-40C5-8CDE-527672E3E894.jpeg
93F94E56-3663-40C5-8CDE-527672E3E894.jpeg (121.72 KiB) Viewed 351 times
gorkie
Art Freak

It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see. - Thoreau
@gorkieartdogma on Instagram

Postby ToonKiller on Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:05 pm

jjttdw wrote:At least the Bush Administration was competent.

That brought the LOLz!!

At least someone was brave enough to throw a shoe at that American embarrassment.

An got a monument for his bravery.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/meast/01/29/iraq.shoe.monument/

ToonKiller
Art Expert

Postby Codeblue on Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:14 pm

jjttdw wrote:
Codeblue wrote:Counterpoint: At least teh Trump Administration hasn't gotten us into a "new" war (yet).

Trade war.

Meh. No one has died in dat war (yet).
Codeblue
Art God

RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.

Postby fredo on Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:42 pm

Except it wasn't.
It had a majority in congress with daddy issues that literally stated that it wasn't their job to question the (vice)president.
fredo
Art God

just a foil for me today, thanks

Postby bubbie on Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:33 am

Bush administration was pretty drymounted up, to say the least. The fudge they brought on this world has been and will be going on for decades. drymount that kind of competence. Don't forget about the economic implications for this world as well. "Competence" is way, waaaaaaay down on the list to describe that administration. To conclude,

is true "neither in French nor in English nor in Mexican." Luls.

Happy ending for this little dude?
A 1-Year-Old Boy Had a Court Appearance Before an Immigration Judge in Phoenix
The 1-year-old boy in a green button-up shirt drank milk from a bottle, played with a small purple ball that lit up when it hit the ground and occasionally asked for “agua.”

Then it was the child’s turn for his court appearance before a Phoenix immigration judge, who could hardly contain his unease with the situation during the portion of the hearing where he asks immigrant defendants whether they understand the proceedings.

“I’m embarrassed to ask it, because I don’t know who you would explain it to, unless you think that a 1-year-old could learn immigration law,” Judge John W. Richardson told the lawyer representing the 1-year-old boy.
In Phoenix on Friday, the Honduran boy named Johan waited over an hour to see the judge. His attorney told Richardson that the boy’s father had brought him to the U.S. but that they had been separated, although it’s unclear when. He said the father, who was now in Honduras, was removed from the country under false pretenses that he would be able to leave with his son.

For a while, the child wore dress shoes, but later he was in just socks as he waited to see the judge. He was silent and calm for most of the hearing, though he cried hysterically afterward for the few seconds that a worker handed him to another person while she gathered his diaper bag. He is in the custody of the U.S. Health and Human Services Department in Arizona.

Richardson said the boy’s case raised red flags over a looming court-ordered deadline to reunite small children with their families. A federal judge in San Diego gave the agency until next Tuesday to reunite kids under 5 with their parents and until July 26 for all others.

Richardson repeatedly told the Immigration and Customs Enforcement attorney who was acting as the prosecutor that he should make note of the cases involving young children because of the government’s obligation to meet the reunification deadline. The attorney said he wasn’t familiar with that deadline and that a different department within ICE handled such matters.

ICE spokeswoman Jennifer Elzea said the attorney was familiar with the injunction but didn’t know the specifics of the timeline requirements off the top of his head “and did not want to misspeak about any timeline commitments without that knowledge.”

In the end, Johan was granted a voluntary departure order that would allow the government to fly him to Honduras so that he could be reunited with his family. An attorney with the Florence Project, an Arizona-based nonprofit that provides free legal help to immigrants, said both his mother and father were in Honduras.

The boy’s case was heard on the same day that the Trump administration said it needed more time to reunite 101 children under 5 years old to ensure the children’s safety and to confirm their parental relationships.
bubbie
Art Expert

Postby bubbie on Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:33 am

bubbie wrote:While in Vancouver, we were going to head down Seattle way for a couple of days. I asked the wife yesterday when we are heading down there so I could plan my fudge here accordingly. Her answer was something along the lines of “I am not going there anymore”. Why not? “”Not since they did that fudge to kids.” She took pretty hard and was pretty sad about that fudge for a while. So I guess we are not going to Seattle anymore.

To be continued...

A few minutes ago, I got this text from my wife (I left early due to work and the person we were staying with, the wife and kids are still in Vancouver):
"When you go groceries shopping, make sure not buy anything made/grown in the USA. We are boycotting them. I can't sleep thinking about those poor children. That drymounting Trump!"

I try to resist and ask what the drymount am I going to eat for fruit (I love my fruit)? A few texts back and forth she says:
"Please try. It is important to me."
"It's devastating. I hate him and I hope he gets cancer and dies in pain."
"I just cannot think that we are supporting that drymounting country any longer."

P.S. My wife is a nice person and she never talks like that.
P.P.S. What the drymount am I supposed to do for fruit? I guess it is about time British Columbia fruits are about to roll in.
bubbie
Art Expert

Postby fredo on Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:42 am

I'd say buy vitamin c tablets, but that all comes from China.
fredo
Art God

Postby bubbie on Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:52 am

Well, just looked at the bottle and my vitamins (which I don't really take) are made in Manitoba.

bubbie
Art Expert

Postby fredo on Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:48 am

They got a lot of ascorbic acid mines opening in Manitoba these days?
fredo
Art God

Postby bubbie on Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:03 pm

Guess I will have to feed Chinese yet again.
bubbie
Art Expert

Postby jjttdw on Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:39 pm

On the positive side of the ledger a judge refused the Trump DOJ's request to modify the Flores Agreement.

In a scathing ruling late Monday, a U.S. District Court judge here rejected the Trump administration's request to detain migrant families at the border for as long as it takes to adjudicate their cases.

In rejecting the request by President Donald Trump's Justice Department to modify the so-called Flores agreement of 1997, which dictates a 20-day maximum detention period for children caught at the border, Judge Dolly M. Gee said the government was bound by the deal.

Calling the DOJ's legal maneuvers a "cynical attempt" to shift responsibility for immigration policy to the judiciary, Gee said nothing is preventing the administration from "reconsidering their current blanket policy of family detention."

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/judge-rejects-trump-admin-s-plea-indefinite-family-detentions-n890086
jjttdw
Art Expert

NEWPORTS69 wrote:ive kept journal for very long time and ranked public restrooms because i srs hate using them, was working on an app but im not very smart

Postby Codeblue on Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:44 pm

Something something supreme court will give him what he wants eventually anyway. #nationalsecurity #MAGA
Codeblue
Art God

RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.

Postby mtarail on Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:30 pm

Hmmm. So the judge that wasn't even on Trump's short list for the Gorsuch appointment just happens to have some very helpful views (for Trump) about whether a sitting president can be indicted and/or civilly sued.

Brett Kavanaugh wrote that presidents shouldn’t be “distracted” by criminal investigations
This may, just may, have influenced Trump’s decision to nominate him to the Supreme Court.

https://www.vox.com/2018/7/9/17551584/b ... estigation

And it doesn't appear that the dyed-in-the-wool hard righters are that pleased with the pick.
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news ... -kavanaugh
mtarail
Art Expert

Postby misterx on Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:07 am

https://www.commondreams.org/news/2018/ ... ould-favor

Its my understanding the right loves the choice of Kavanaugh..from his anti-abortion views to his past opinions favoring the interests of big polluters—oh, and his established record of hostility to net neutrality and support for mass surveillance means his confirmation would spell disaster for internet freedom too. ( Although it was Obomber that enshrined the right to spy on Americans as a government right, lest we forget...)

"This nomination is a 100 percent political decision, and one that will have a profoundly negative effect on the lives of working people of this country for decades to come if Brett Kavanaugh is confirmed," Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) wrote in an email to supporters Monday night.

"Kavanaugh's record has made it clear he will use his position on the court to protect corporations at the expense of workers, to allow corporations and the wealthy to buy elections, and to undermine voting rights," Sanders added.

Perfect candidate!

Although to be honest, how much worse can it get?

If the US government cannot even support mothers milk over formula, I would say the corporatisation of your government is complete.
misterx
Art Expert

"CNN are doing spot on and accurate reporting..." Gorkie!!

Postby mtarail on Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:30 am

Sorry X, but you're blocked from my feed!

Acosta from CNN is reporting that Trump's SC nominee vetting team looked specifically at Kavanaugh's opinions on indicting a president.
mtarail
Art Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Politics